Josie McDermott TG4 program

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
greenspiderweb
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Josie McDermott TG4 program

Post by greenspiderweb »

Mr.Gumby posted this on the flute forum;
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=105505

But I didn't see it posted here, and if you don't frequent the flute forum, you would definitely be missing out on a great program if you don't see it!

It's not all about fluting or whistle, but more about the man and the music, and the old days. It's a great production, and so worth seeing by anyone who likes trad Irish music-this is the core of it in this video from TG4 here:

http://www.tg4.ie/en/player/home/?pid=5 ... wn&dlft=35

I just watched it, and it was great-and I will watch it again; there is much there for anyone interested in the traditional Irish music through the years. Josie plays the flute (one of my favorites), whistle, and sings in it, and gives a very interesting account of the music he's been making for a long time now. Great stuff here, thank you Peter! (Mr.Gumby)

Do not miss it!
~~~~
Barry
Mr.Gumby
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Josie McDermott TG4 program

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I would extend the recommendation to the entire series, or what's still up on the player the programmes on Seamus Ennis, Seám Keane, Diarmuid Ó Súilleabháin and Johnny Leary are all great (as was one of Dolores, Sarah and Rita Keane that isn't up there anymore). The programmes were filmed in 1980/1 and with the exception of Keane they have all left us. I was also struck that at this remove it was like looking into a different time and to what extend things look different now. There's bit in the Johnny Leary where he is playing for dancers outside in the street during the Willie week. It's a street I walk at least a few times a week and recognising a number of faces on screen I realised I was actually there when it was filmed. Everybody was so young then.
Last edited by Mr.Gumby on Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
My brain hurts

DaveAuty
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play the whistle, I used to play flute but have Dupuytren's contracture so can only play whistle now which is fine. Mostly play sessions around Canterbury Kent area.

Post by DaveAuty »

Thanks for the link.
Mighty whistle playing on what looked like a 'Clarke'? Don't see so many of those these days.
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

I did see the thread over on flute forum, but, I'm not always there so thank you for posting the link here on whistle forum. Yes, the entire series is worth a view.
Brus

Post by Brus »

ytliek wrote:Yes, the entire series is worth a view.
I second that (having done so).
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur. (Anything is more impressive if you say it in Latin)