Pre 1980 Sound

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
nicx66
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi, I have been playing whistle for 3 years. I made my first whistle 2 years ago and my first tin whistle last year in a tinsmithing class.

Re: Pre 1980 Sound

Post by nicx66 »

ytliek wrote:
Tyler DelGregg wrote:
ytliek wrote:I'm always amused by the eager search on eBay and elsewhere for the Pre 1980 Sound. I wasn't a whistle player then and didn't really pay attention to the whistle sound in particular so I'm not even sure I'd know the sound if I heard it. Older recordings and the technology of the time may have played a role in the sound of a whistle. Same goes for current day technology and recordings.

And, I'm further amused by the hungry search on eBay and elsewhere with the used instruments (whistles) edifying sales tactics with words: rare, no longer made, unique, pre 1980s Gens, vintage, sweet, chiffy, etc., all along knowing how subjective the item is as well as the sound. Do you ever see a listing for a crappy whistle with negative descriptive terminology? which might be more accurate to the particular item. Its "sales"! :D
I like hunting for a whistle or two now and then. For the price of a bottle of Jack Daniels, you may find a nifty old whistle. It's for fun; if it ceases to be fun, or if I'm tempted to break the bank, I'll pull the stopper. I must admit, though, the whistle, even the very expensive ones, are relatively affordable.
I get it... the hunt. And, I'll admit to purchasing a few used whistles even from eBay, but, I try to avoid the used market as much as possible unless its a wooden whistle. I prefer wood. I do fully support the purchasing of new whistles from the whistlemakers themselves just to keep the current craftsmen continuing to build and in business. Good for the economy too.

BTW, New Haven, West Haven, Stamford, etc., are my current stomping grounds and I'll bet at some time in the past I've heard you bagpiping. I'm not a piper but been around enough of them here abouts thru the years.
I ate Sallys Apizza every day this week, and while off-topic, it was glorious