Another beginner question

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
malcolmbebb
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Learning *speaks very quietly* melodeon but been interested in whistley things for a while. Quite like to get beyond a strangled squawk to something that sounds (even faintly) musical. We once had a plastic fife and I am the only person in the family who couldn't get a note out of it. Present interest is in tin whistle, or an approximation thereto, and maybe pipe as in tabor.

Another beginner question

Post by malcolmbebb »

Hi,
First post here - hello! - learning melodeon but wanted for some time to play whistle. However... Pretty sure this will have been asked (and with luck, answered) many times but couldn't find it - please feel free to point me to existing threads (or a tutorial on the search engine! :D )

I have two D whistles, a Feadog (given to me) and a probably low-cost Generation, both similar to the eye. I struggle to get a clean note when blowing quietly (or at all, mostly), I get a squeaky strangled noise.
This has improved since I was told about making sure I covered the holes properly (I wasn't) but I still get it with all holes open or tightly closed.
The Feadog is a bit easier.
This is very offputting - I've had the whistles for several years but not got past this point. Slightly better when I overblow, but still enough to lose interest quickly.
Looking for advice - hoping there's a simple answer?
Thanks
Malcolm
an seanduine

Re: Another beginner question

Post by an seanduine »

Welcome to the world of whistles. Because of the tremendous variation in quality of mass produced whistles, I usually advocate getting one of the commercially available 'tweaked' whistles. State-side that would be Jerry Freeman's whistles. On t'other side of the pond, you might look at Cillian O'Briains.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
awildman

Post by awildman »

I'm not really sure what your question is.....I'll take a stab at it anyway.

I'm guessing that you're blowing too softly, and there is just not enough air disturbance at the fipple to vibrate the air column properly.

So.....Whistles have 1 volume. There is no way to blow 'quietly'. You either blow the note or you don't. You have to do what the whistle needs to make that volume. The whistle doesn't just respond to any old breathing. And it really doesn't have dynamics. Each note has set volume and intonation, and these interact with your blowing in a very limited, specific manner.

Best to start simple. Cover the top hole only. This will give you the note B. Find the right blowing pressure/speed to sound it cleanly. If it's not sounding cleanly, you're blowing either too softly or too strongly. You want to blow it confidently, but not too strong. If you blow too strongly, you will play the second octave B. Trial and error will get you to sound the note cleanly. Once you get that note sounding cleanly, cover the next hole as well. Top two holes covered give you A. This note takes slightly less breath than the B. Get it sounding cleanly, then put down the next finger. Again, slightly less breath. See the pattern? Work your way down slowly and cleanly until you get to all 6 holes covered.

When you approach the breath requirements like this, starting at an achievable note like the B, you develop a point of reference and build upon it. Each point of reference you master gets you closer to that low D which can be a bit pesky. It also helps you learn proper hole coverage and finger placement.

Hope that helps.
malcolmbebb
Tell us something.: Learning *speaks very quietly* melodeon but been interested in whistley things for a while. Quite like to get beyond a strangled squawk to something that sounds (even faintly) musical. We once had a plastic fife and I am the only person in the family who couldn't get a note out of it. Present interest is in tin whistle, or an approximation thereto, and maybe pipe as in tabor.

Post by malcolmbebb »

Thanks for the comments, I have a clearer expectation.

As an aside, after looking at other threads, I had a good look inside the Generation whistle and discovered it was really mucky inside with a brown gunge (yuk) and what appeared to be fluff or fibres.

Origin unknown, since I had it from new and it's hardly been used.

Gave it a good clean and that seems to have helped also.
Tyler DelGregg
Tell us something.: Whistles are fun, whistles are charming, whistles sound nice, whistles are affordable, whistles make us smile, whistles make dogs bark, and whistles upset some neighbors.

Post by Tyler DelGregg »

I would go for a tweaked whistle (Freeman, O'Briain) myself, or for a similar price, a Dixon. This will eliminate the possibility of the whistle being at fault. At best, you will enjoy playing, and at worst you will realize the fault was yours. Either way, you haven't spend too much money.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Or, find a more experienced whistle player and have them play your whistles. If they can get a clean sound, you'll know it's the operator, not the equipment. If not, get a tweaked whistle. Quality control varies a great deal on mass market whistles. Some, untweaked, will never play nicely.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
bderusha
Tell us something.: I am am traditional irish flute and whistle player looking to chat with like-minded musicians. I'm relatively new to the music still trying to find a good fit and my own style.

Post by bderusha »

I have to agree with the other posts here. I have a Freeman tweaked generation and it plays excellent. It'll run you maybe $40 which is a pretty reasonable price for the piece of mind that your instrument isn't holding you back.
malcolmbebb

Post by malcolmbebb »

Thanks again, all noted. It might be possible to drop in on Dixon's place, I'm down that way from time to time, or maybe buy something on line.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Awildman's advice is excellent. You'll soon discover that each note in both octaves needs it's own breath pressure.
Some notes, especially the higher ones, sometimes need a bit of tonguing to get them started cleanly. That little burst gets the air speed up instantly rather than ramping up if you start the note by breath alone.
Something else you'll discover that each whistle differs, even two from the same maker. Luckily, with more experience you'll learn to adjust to different whistles quickly.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Tyler DelGregg
Tell us something.: Whistles are fun, whistles are charming, whistles sound nice, whistles are affordable, whistles make us smile, whistles make dogs bark, and whistles upset some neighbors.

Post by Tyler DelGregg »

:o
malcolmbebb wrote:Thanks again, all noted. It might be possible to drop in on Dixon's place, I'm down that way from time to time, or maybe buy something on line.
Good idea! Now you have to decide whether to buy brass, composite, nickel, or aluminum.
It never ends, this trip. :o
malcolmbebb

Post by malcolmbebb »

As a bit of a follow up, I put adhesive tape over all the holes and can play a clean D on two octaves. So that tells me where to look.