What key is this in?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Mikethebook
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

What key is this in?

Post by Mikethebook »

This is Sunset Land from John McSherry latest album, The Seven Suns. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7fyElv9Ai8. The first part, played on his low D, is an "air" with an unusual middle eastern quality to it, hardly ITM. I've almost finished transcribing it but am confused about the key/mode. My software says Amaj but along with C, F & G sharps there are also correspond flats, in fact I'm not sure there are any F#s. With lots of half holing it's a fiddly piece to play but different for a change. Can anyone clue me in to the key/mode.

BTW it's about 37 seconds before John starts playing.
MichaelLoos
Tell us something.: I'm here because I just wanted to change my location... but it turns out much more complicated than I thought. Do I already have the 100 required characters?

Re: What key is this in?

Post by MichaelLoos »

It is basically A minor, with a few accidentals thrown in.
Mikethebook
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

Re: What key is this in?

Post by Mikethebook »

My software show it as a A major but I guess with all the incidentals, it might get confused. Thanks for that.