WTB: Cillian O'Briain Low D

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Mikethebook
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

WTB: Cillian O'Briain Low D

Post by Mikethebook »

pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Re: WTB: Cillian O'Briain Low D

Post by pancelticpiper »

This is an interesting turn of events!

It would be interesting to know what has got you looking in to O'Briain whistles.

And of course it would be interesting to be updated on your findings.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Mikethebook
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

Post by Mikethebook »

My Goldie Low Ds are my favourite whistles that I play 99% of the time but, as I think you know, Richard, Colin is currently making me a medium blower that should play much more easily in the second/third octaves while losing a little strength in the first, dynamics that appeal to me. I've been aware for a long time that the Ian Lambe and Cillian O'Briain Low Ds also possess those same dynamics though probably requiring more breath than I expect the new Goldie to have. I like the Goldie/Overton tone more than any other but these two whistles also have attractive tones especially the O'Briain. I don't think Ian makes his whistles anymore but I have one in mint condition waiting for me in the US, for my wife to bring back when she's there early next year. I would also like to try the O'Briain. It may turn out that I would rather play only Goldies but the Lambe and O'Briain probably represent the only other low whistles that interest me enough to buy and play for an occasional change from the Goldies. Maybe Hammy Hamilton's Low D!

It doesn't hurt, too, that two of my favourite low whistle players - Paddy Keenan and Martin Nolan - play O'Briain's!
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Yes I think you're going about it the right way, because the only way to know about a Low D is to try it.

I obtained- from our fellow member here Ted (not the dear Father) an MK which Paddy Keenan toured with for a year or two. It was, I think, the fourth or fifth MK Low D I bought (all different) and one of the best. It was covered with a thin layer of some sticky substance I came to call "Keenan goo" which proved difficult to remove.
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
Mikethebook

Post by Mikethebook »

Sounds disgusting!! I've had no responses to my thread with suggests that people who own the O'Briain like to hang on to them. I've heard it said that he didn't make that many either.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I've had no responses to my thread with suggests that people who own the O'Briain like to hang on to them.

Surely not ALL of them? Image
My brain hurts

Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

I've had no responses to my thread with suggests that people who own the O'Briain like to hang on to them.
Mr.Gumby wrote:Surely not ALL of them? Image
:devil:
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

:D :poke: :D

Have a "new" whistle custom made to your exact specifications.
pancelticpiper

Post by pancelticpiper »

ytliek wrote:
I've had so many issues with that over the years (too tedious to relate) that I now much prefer to buy instruments used.

Try it, see how it plays, then either keep it or sell it for around the same price I bought it for.
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
Mikethebook

Post by Mikethebook »

I don't know of any whistle makers that would do that, create a whistle with exact personal specifications. Perhaps you do. To my limited knowledge only Colin Goldie approaches that ideal. As I mentioned, currently he is in the process of making me a whistle with specifications I've requested but that still lie within the realm of what his normal design and manufacturing parameters will allow. I'm thinking and hoping that it will be as close as I can get to my ideal Low D.