Clarke Meg & Freeman Blackbird

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Steve Bliven
antispam: No

Re: Clarke Meg & Freeman Blackbird

Post by Steve Bliven »

thx712517 wrote:Now I need to find more music to learn.
Lots of options for that. Here's one...

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
imgoingtospain
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have a few questions about whistle construction and mechanics. I also like the saddest Irish songs.

Post by imgoingtospain »

My first whistle was a $2 clarke woodstock. And after developing a little more technical control, and and creating a proper block w/ bluetack I'm returning to it, it's not bad.

I see I came too late to this, but... The blackbird is good choice, it's my own favorite right now and sounds and plays wonderful, but I would suggest a dixon polymer d might be better for you. It's slightly quieter (and easy to tape a bit of the blade to quiet it more) and in my opinion just more expressive. I felt like, without the dixon polymer it would have taken longer to turn practice into results.
Chifmunk
Tell us something.: Hi, I play 5-string banjo, mountain dulcimer, bones, and am now a beginner pennywhistler. I have some Dixon, Freeman, and Susato whistles. This is obviously the most extensive forum for information in whistle learning- thanks!
I also run a banjo/mando/fiddle shirt site at https://harmonias.com/
and a mountain dulcimer social site at: fotmd.com

Post by Chifmunk »

thx712517 wrote:Blackbird is on the way! Now I need to find more music to learn.
I hope you love it as much as I do- it's really my favorite D whistle!
Having FUN playin' my whistles!
http://pennywhistleclub.com/
...a new social network just for whistlers
thx712517
Tell us something.: I've always been a string instrument player but I always wanted to learn bagpipes. My lips were too weak to form a seal. Lately I've been interested in wind instruments that are similar keys to the bagpipes.

Post by thx712517 »

I'm looking forward to it. And don't worry, I plan on a Dixon whistle in my future. It'll just be the low D.

Edited to add: I ordered just in time it seems. The labium of my Meg seems to be falling apart. Maybe a casting defect but the right side seems to have bubbled up and come away from the side of the fipple. I guess that's what happens when you leave it in a car.

Edited again: Maybe not the car to blame. The other edge is starting to bubble and tear away from the side as well. Really odd. I hope I don't have plastic-dissolving spit. That would be a pathetic super power.
thx712517
Tell us something.: I've always been a string instrument player but I always wanted to learn bagpipes. My lips were too weak to form a seal. Lately I've been interested in wind instruments that are similar keys to the bagpipes.

Post by thx712517 »

Got the Blackbird - amazing difference. Beautiful tone, flute-like, pure. It does clog up faster than the Clarke but is easily cleared. I do need to practice second octave as it isn’t as easy as the Clarke.