Whistle Quiver Update

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
tomcat
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Used to live in Gilbert, AZ which is a suburb of Phoenix. Recently moved to Portland OR. Argh. Not sure if this is meeting the requirement of number of characters, but I'm trying.

Whistle Quiver Update

Post by tomcat »

Its been two years since I posted the info below regarding a whistle carrier I made. Thought it was time for an update.

Its been working out very nicely. In fact, so nicely, I use it 100% of the time. I thought originally, I'd move whistles from the shelf to the quiver but the quiver is too convenient. I just leave them there all the time. I've added more whistles so I actually store many in the gaps between the pipe insulation. By using the gaps, I can carry around 18 whistles/flutes/quenas etc. The tension between the insulation is enough to hold the whistles in place most of the time.

Wouldn't change much - but I think I will add a way to designate what key goes where. For example, I have two black PVC whistles made by Tommy Dion - one is a low E, the other an Eb - I have to take both out and look at their length to determine their identity. A key designation would help with this . . . I've also started sticking a pen in one of the gaps - comes in handy to make notation on music. In the future, I may add a handle to the body of the quiver - this would be helpful at times although the shoulder strap has been sufficient.

I've traveled with the quiver via car and plane. No problems either way.....although I did have to figure out a "lid" in case the quiver got turn upside down . . . but securing the beanie with a leather strap around quiver was easy enough.

Here's the original post:
i figured out an inexpensive way to carry whistles in various keys with me....i'm sure there are many ways to do it - but this one seems to work. it cost me all of $20 or so from the local hardware store.

you can go here to see the pictures:
https://app.box.com/s/8l56xbv3tqdnq2cgkdbe6foezooovwm4

the tube itself is a cardboard cyclinder desgined to serve as a form for concrete. it can be easily cut with a saw to your desired length. the inside sleeves are actually pipe insulation sleeves that run about $1.50 a piece for a 6 foot section. they come in various diameters.

i cut all the pipe insulation sleeves the same length and stuffed the ones for the high whistles with paper and packing material - this allows all the whistles to be at the same height.

for the base of the quiver, i cut a piece of old wood shelving and sanded it to fit snugly inside the base of the tube. i then secured it with screws. i added some paint for looks and attached the eyebolts for the shoulder strap (which i stole from an old brief case). Oh, and the beanie keeps my head warm (when not on the quiver) and keeps the whistles from spilling if the tube tips over in the car.

the wood base helps the quiver stands up well without adding too much weight while the quiver keeps the whistles from rolling off the table or from being stepped on.

mine carries 11 whistles from Low C (which determined the length of the quiver) to high D.

having all 11 with me comes in handy when the guitarist slides the capo up or down . . . :D
1MoreWhistle
Tell us something.: Hello, I'm learning low whistle, and I'd like to be able to access the huge amount of expertise and helpful info on this forum.
Thanks and slainte mhath!
Alison

Re: Whistle Quiver Update

Post by 1MoreWhistle »

Thanks for sharing this brilliant idea! I really like the pipe insulation - perfect for whistles. I'm working out ideas to make a light, portable bag for whistles on public transport, and It's a huge help to look at your pics.
tomcat
Tell us something.: Used to live in Gilbert, AZ which is a suburb of Phoenix. Recently moved to Portland OR. Argh. Not sure if this is meeting the requirement of number of characters, but I'm trying.

Post by tomcat »

Your welcome . . . love to see what you come up with.
tomcat

Post by tomcat »

Well since I last posted, I went to the larger version. The previous one allowed me to carry about 11 whistles in the pipe sleeves.... it used an 8 inch tube. Made a newer version out of a 10 inch tube. This gives me room for 21 whistles each in its own sleeve. I found putting a whistle in the gaps worked most of the time - but sure was a hassle if a whistle in the gap worked its way beyond reach. The larger version eliminates this risk. I can carry whistles from Low C to hi Eb with me - all easy to grasp.

I also added a $3 handle I picked up from the hardware store which makes it easier to carry. This ones is too big to carry on a plane, so I will keep the 8 inch around for such adventures.....

I've started playing fairly regularly in public and have found the tube works well. I have my whistles in sight at all times, can pull one out to use and return it quickly enough to handle the occasional key change during the middle of a song.....and it takes up no more room on stage than a guitar stand.

It also solved the problem I had of having whistle laying around on my desk. They were at risk of rolling onto the floor - now I just keep em in the tube unless they are being played....
tombom11
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by tombom11 »

Well, that's pretty cool. Thanks. I think I might try making one.