I have just 'got' the Chiff & Fipple dots!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
awildman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: I have just 'got' the Chiff & Fipple dots!

Post by awildman »

If you've been pondering it deeply for 6 years, I might be a bit concerned.

What is the purpose of life?
If a tree falls in the forest....?
Egg or chicken?
What in blazes are those 6 dots?
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

awildman wrote:If you've been pondering it deeply for 6 years
'and I'd never really thought about it before!'
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

I expect it was such a familiar looking object that it didn't register any great significance, the holes of a whistle & a 'keyless' appear to have a similar pattern, & maybe even a chanter, (but I haven't seen one, so can't be sure on that) - it is a subtle/clever logo. :)

P.S. I was just joshing with you - no offence meant. ;)
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Peter Duggan wrote:Image

Six years here and I'd never really thought about it before!
Wowza.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
eskin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by eskin »

Never even noticed them before... :-)
david_h

Post by david_h »

Nanohedron wrote: But all the same I find that the layout still works in communicating those things; it seems to have kept its edge rather well, which by definition arguably makes it a classic. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't change it. :)
I should have gone on to say that I think within the context of Dale's original pages it was more obvious what the dots were. Personally, now we are seeing it close to a Google add, I think being somewhat bigger and higher resolution (but still with a type-on-paper look) would be an improvement. I don't think many of us are still on dial-up connections.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

david_h wrote:...I think within the context of Dale's original pages it was more obvious what the dots were.
I think that's a reasonable argument, but I present to you the author of this very thread. Peter's been here long before Dale ever made the decision to eliminate the whistle-centric pages of the site's founding layout, so drawing on human nature I expect Peter's case isn't necessarily going to be all that uncommon. It has to be added that despite the relative inclusivity that has evolved over time at C&F, whistle-related topics still firmly outweigh the rest. And in the end, one must admit that the name says it all. I think that counts for something.

Still, instead of the whistle-dots I suppose we could do something like this:

...but anybody and his dog might go there. I'm still voting for the spare subtlety of the dots. It's unique. :thumbsup:
david_h wrote:Personally, now we are seeing it close to a Google add, I think being somewhat bigger and higher resolution (but still with a type-on-paper look) would be an improvement.
Ah. I've been using an ad blocker for some time now - the pages load faster, which is important to me when I need to do Admin stuff - so that aspect of the C&F page layout has been relegated to out of sight, out of mind. Without the ad banner I think it looks great, anyway. All the same, I can't recall that I ever had any previous aesthetic issues with the logo in relation to the banner. I like to think I'm not entirely bereft of my senses. But your suggestion is worth considering. :)
david_h wrote:I don't think many of us are still on dial-up connections.
Missing your point, here.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Nanohedron wrote:I'm still voting for the spare subtlety of the dots. It's unique.
The dots are great... when you get them! And that's great in its own way, so (despite my own slowness) no argument against them. They're simultaneously subtle enough to miss and obvious enough to be unmissable, which is quite a feat and why I'm saying the logo has suddenly grown on me. My 'design' arguments are about size of logo and theming of anonymous default phpBB, not the logo per se.
Nanohedron wrote:
david_h wrote:Personally, now we are seeing it close to a Google add, I think being somewhat bigger and higher resolution (but still with a type-on-paper look) would be an improvement.
Ah. I've been using an ad blocker for some time now - the pages load faster, which is important to me when I need to do Admin stuff - so that aspect of the C&F page layout has been relegated to out of sight, out of mind. Without the ad banner I think it looks great, anyway. All the same, I can't recall that I ever had any previous aesthetic issues with the logo in relation to the banner. I like to think I'm not entirely bereft of my senses. But your suggestion is worth considering. :)
With or without banner ad, ad blocker or whatever, the logo is undersized for the site and the site design (effectively now reduced to stock forum theme) both clunkily dated and far from unique. Which is not to criticise the logo, where retro charm and subtlety are not equivalent to 'dated'.
Nanohedron wrote:
david_h wrote:I don't think many of us are still on dial-up connections.
Missing your point, here.
Bigger graphics, bigger file sizes, longer load times.
Last edited by Peter Duggan on Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Master of nine?
david_h

Post by david_h »

Nanohedron wrote:Ah. I've been using an ad blocker for some time now -
:boggle: but I thought they were to help with Dale's hosting costs?

Not that I ever read them. They are usually for things that I just bought,
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

david_h wrote:
They are. The hosting costs go up from time to time as the Board gets bigger, so the ads help. I'm not sure whether using an ad blocker makes a difference or not. Personally, I can't be bothered to use one. Apart from anything else, I'd rather see what most people see. I also find it interesting, the way the ads change depending on ones online activity. For instance, as I mentioned in another thread, just because I posted a link to The Ink Spots' version of 'Java Jive' on Youtube, ever since I've been seeing adverts for coffee! I kid you not.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

david_h wrote:
Well, it's not like I did it to spite the Board. I have simply gotten sick and tired of ad intrusion in general, especially the sort where it's audio-only, yammering at me like a circus hawker about meaningless crap I couldn't care less about. I don't see why I should have to fumble for my computer's audio kill-switch every time that happens, and it was increasing. I'd had enough.

If it weren't for that, I'd be seeing banner ads here, too. At least they don't intrude.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Peter Duggan

Post by Peter Duggan »

Nanohedron wrote:I have simply gotten sick and tired of ad intrusion in general, especially the sort where it's audio-only, yammering at me like a circus hawker about meaningless crap I couldn't care less about. I don't see why I should have to fumble for my computer's audio kill-switch every time that happens, and it was increasing. I'd had enough.
Me too, though my tipping point was The Herald (formerly The Glasgow Herald)... ancient quality Scottish broadsheet newspaper to which I've subscribed online for years and was getting so slow and painful even for subscribers (for which they've no excuse) that I just couldn't take it. And I won't whitelist sites, preferring instead to back out of the ones that say 'we can't show you our site unless you disable your ad blocker'. For sure you can't have everything for free and things need paying for, but there have to be better ways of supporting what you value than intrusive ads (The Herald please take note!).

Master of nine?
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

I hate intrusive ads, anywhere, I always run an ad blocker.

My previous one was letting some through, so I changed my ad blocker to a different one - no more annoying ads.

I do contribute occasionally to help with running costs if a site is giving me what I want - not a lot, as I regularly visit quite a few, but if everyone that valued the site did so, it would sure help.
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

fatmac wrote:I hate intrusive ads, anywhere, I always run an ad blocker.

My previous one was letting some through, so I changed my ad blocker to a different one - no more annoying ads.

I do contribute occasionally to help with running costs if a site is giving me what I want - not a lot, as I regularly visit quite a few, but if everyone that valued the site did so, it would sure help.
We'd better give you what you want then! :)