Greensleeves, 2 ways

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
AuLoS303
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Greensleeves, 2 ways

Post by AuLoS303 »

I read on YouTube that there are two ways that Greensleeves is usually played, the stately dance type of performance, (Andante I suppose) and a Gavotte, dance type of playing. Well I like both and I decided to have a crack at the faster, gavotte like section. I struggled to get the half holed bottom note, and after playing clarinet every day for a few weeks I noticed that I am blowing too hard on tin whistle/recorder. Takes some getting used to when you switch instruments.
I also feel I'd like to try a low whistle...

https://youtu.be/RNkIMH0nh88
You can play beautiful music on an ugly flute
My musical endeavours on my blog
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Re: Greensleeves, 2 ways

Post by Peter Duggan »

Greensleeves can never be a gavotte unless you make big changes because a gavotte's in common time starting on the half bar. But if you like an interesting, up-tempo Greensleeves, check out 'Greensleeves to a Ground' from 'The Division Flute' of 1706 if you don't already know it. There are lots of YouTube performances, but here's a good one by Michael Schneider on what I assume to be an A=415 'fourth flute' (descant/soprano recorder in B flat) to get you going:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV9wbOccZzg
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

You do also realise that both your versions are in the same metre at the same tempo and what you've done in the second is simply added divisions (as done in 'The Division Flute')?

Master of nine?
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Peter Duggan wrote:Greensleeves can never be a gavotte unless you make big changes because a gavotte's in common time...
Seems to me that it's very common for the same tunes to be played both in 3/4 and 4/4.

A perfect example is the tune which appears as a hymn-tune (KINGSFOLD) and a Christmas carol and as a folk-song in 4/4 but also is encountered as a folk-song in 3/4.

I used to be an avid Scottish Country Dancer and it was common (at least back in the 1980s) to dance Strathspey steps to song-airs in 4/4, many of which appear in the Highland piping tradition as tunes with the feel of a waltz. (The Highland pipers don't regard them as waltzes, but you can dance the waltz to them.)
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

pancelticpiper wrote:
Peter Duggan wrote:Greensleeves can never be a gavotte unless you make big changes because a gavotte's in common time...
Seems to me that it's very common for the same tunes to be played both in 3/4 and 4/4.

A perfect example is the tune which appears as a hymn-tune (KINGSFOLD) and a Christmas carol and as a folk-song in 4/4 but also is encountered as a folk-song in 3/4.

I used to be an avid Scottish Country Dancer and it was common (at least back in the 1980s) to dance Strathspey steps to song-airs in 4/4, many of which appear in the Highland piping tradition as tunes with the feel of a waltz. (The Highland pipers don't regard them as waltzes, but you can dance the waltz to them.)
Maybe, but have you tried to make Greensleeves sound like a gavotte? I can't do it. I can just about make the tune go into 4/4 time, but I can't get the half bar anacrusis and, even if I could, I can't figure out at all how to make the rhythm remotely similar to a gavotte. Maybe it's just my lack of imagination, and I'm willing to be convinced, if you can show me how to do it ...
Peter Duggan

Post by Peter Duggan »

pancelticpiper wrote:
For sure, but I also said 'starting on the half bar'!
benhall.1 wrote:Maybe, but have you tried to make Greensleeves sound like a gavotte? I can't do it.
Me neither. It'll go to a bourrée both easily and naturally (the first half anyway), but not a gavotte. And AuLoS303's 'gavotte' version is neither, but just divisions of the regular metre.

Master of nine?
AuLoS303
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Post by AuLoS303 »

This piece that I was learning on piano caused a bit of discussion on a fb piano group because I was informed it's not a Gavotte because it's in regular 4/4 time, yet it's in a piano tuition book!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BV0RB6GF3_w/

https://youtu.be/pRZ0TPFCaos
You can play beautiful music on an ugly flute
My musical endeavours on my blog
D Mc

Post by D Mc »

Peter Duggan wrote:..... here's a good one by Michael Schneider...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV9wbOccZzg
I really enjoyed that, thanks for posting the link.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

D Mc wrote:
Peter Duggan wrote:..... here's a good one by Michael Schneider...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV9wbOccZzg
I really enjoyed that, thanks for posting the link.
Yes, it was good, wasn't it? Thanks Peter. :thumbsup:
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I can immediately play Greensleeves in 4/4 in two different feels, one feel making the halfnote/quarternote bars a dotted halfnote/quarternote and the other feel making the halfnote/quarternote bars halfnote/halfnote (really a 2/4 feel).

I can also without having to think twice about it play Greensleeves in 7/8 or 5/4. You just get the new groove going and play the tune in it.
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
Peter Duggan

Post by Peter Duggan »

pancelticpiper wrote:I can immediately play Greensleeves in 4/4 in two different feels, one feel making the halfnote/quarternote bars a dotted halfnote/quarternote and the other feel making the halfnote/quarternote bars halfnote/halfnote (really a 2/4 feel).
Which latter sounds like my bourrée? (Where I'd be thinking & | 1 & 2 &a | 1 & 2 etc. in cut or 2/2 time.)
I can also without having to think twice about it play Greensleeves in 7/8 or 5/4. You just get the new groove going and play the tune in it.
While I can also play it with any number of beats you like and am pretty sure Ben can too, our point is not number of beats to the bar but it simply not sitting comfortably in gavotte rhythm (where you've more than just 4/4 to take into account).
benhall.1 wrote:Yes, it was good, wasn't it? Thanks Peter. :thumbsup:
I've known (and played) the piece since my school days, but hadn't encountered Michael Schneider's version till I went looking for a good example for this thread. And liked it so much I went looking for the CD only to find it's from a now-deleted eight-CD set I'd probably have bought on the spot had it still been available at a sensible price:
https://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.as ... ode=C49550

Master of nine?
Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tunborough »

Peter Duggan wrote:I've known (and played) the piece since my school days, but hadn't encountered Michael Schneider's version till I went looking for a good example for this thread. And liked it so much I went looking for the CD only to find it's from a now-deleted eight-CD set I'd probably have bought on the spot had it still been available at a sensible price:
https://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.as ... ode=C49550
You can still listen to the whole set from the Spotify catalogue: https://open.spotify.com/album/6F0tR2aLQWXTO0LlrHKgbb. Greensleeves is at https://open.spotify.com/track/6qT8Vl4eXdzc14kQpuIBjv.
Peter Duggan

Post by Peter Duggan »

Sure, and I will in time because there's a fair bit of repertoire there I'd like to hear. But sometimes I like to buy stuff too... or, to put it another way, I prefer listening to CDs on my hi-fi and having the full package, sleeve notes etc. when it's stuff I want to keep rather than trying once or twice.

Master of nine?
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I enjoy Greensleeves with a little swing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVMeDPemvgA

Sorry, couldn't find the version from the Pennywhistle Tapes. ;)
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
pancelticpiper

Post by pancelticpiper »

My point was only that if the idea was to play the tune in duple rhythm with a beat occurring in the middle of each bar it doesn't require extensive reworking of the tune, but can be done at the drop of a hat.
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle