A Different Sound for Davy Spillane?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Mikethebook
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

A Different Sound for Davy Spillane?

Post by Mikethebook »

To my probably inadequate knowledge, I own most tracks that Davy Spillane's low whistle has a significant presence on. But one sticks out as different from all the rest in terms of its sound, and I've been wrestling with it as I try to transcribe it since the sound is most noticeable in the ornaments. Corcomroe https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAg3gHDUfqM from the CD, Pipedreams, has a kind of distorted sound — I'm not sure how else to describe it. But my question is, is it technique (in which case what is he doing to get it) is it processing or is it the whistle itself? Admittedly, I think it's played on a Low A, which I haven't come across elsewhere in his playing but I've not heard such a sound in any Overton or indeed any other low whistle.
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Re: A Different Sound for Davy Spillane?

Post by fatmac »

My first impression is that it is a Native American Flute, it has that haunting kind of sound. :)
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
Mikethebook
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

Post by Mikethebook »

An interesting thought! I know nothing about NAFs though I assumed they were all wooden and the sound here does sound metallic to me.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

It's a whistle because the album sleeve says 'Davy Spillane — Uilleann Pipes and Low Whistle' and it's not uilleann pipes. I'd concur with low (bass) A, but don't hear anything that unusual (e.g. 'distortion'), and suggest that, if it sticks out as different from all the rest in terms of its sound, it's simply because of the lower pitch.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Sounds like perfectly normal whistle sound to me, too.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

That's what I thought. Bog-standard low whistle sound, unless I'm missing something.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

Yes, whistle. The sound doesn't seem like NAF to me. When these types of questions arise I'm always curious why the question doesn't get asked of the musician him or her self. That is provided the musician is still with us. :)
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

ytliek wrote:Yes, whistle. The sound doesn't seem like NAF to me. When these types of questions arise I'm always curious why the question doesn't get asked of the musician him or her self. That is provided the musician is still with us. :)
Depends what you mean by "with us". :wink:
Mikethebook

Post by Mikethebook »

Davy doesn't usually reply to e-mails otherwise I would have asked him. Okay, fair enough. You think it sounds like a normal Bass A. I can accept that. But the ornaments don't sound as crisp to me as on a Low D and maybe that is to be expected with a much lower key.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Mikethebook wrote:But the ornaments don't sound as crisp to me as on a Low D and maybe that is to be expected with a much lower key.
Okay, now I see what you mean. Yeah, I think that's the case. I checked out some other low whistle vids for comparison and the ornamentation was overall pretty much to the same effect: that is, the ornaments themselves were crisply done, but all the same the sound is rather liquid.

I confess I really hadn't thought of it before.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

benhall.1 wrote:
ytliek wrote:Yes, whistle. The sound doesn't seem like NAF to me. When these types of questions arise I'm always curious why the question doesn't get asked of the musician him or her self. That is provided the musician is still with us. :)
Depends what you mean by "with us". :wink:
Still alive, and perhaps still playing a session occasionally.
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

Mikethebook wrote:Davy doesn't usually reply to e-mails otherwise I would have asked him. Okay, fair enough. You think it sounds like a normal Bass A. I can accept that. But the ornaments don't sound as crisp to me as on a Low D and maybe that is to be expected with a much lower key.
E-mail isn't the only means for contact. There must be some one on this forum who could get a message to Davy and inquire about that particular YouTube tune.

I can understand why a musician wouldn't want to reveal every trade secret about how their music is created, particular techniques for unique sound or special effects, so why try to copy that sound? Just saying.
Mikethebook

Post by Mikethebook »

Nanonhedron, you've answered my query really. Most of my questions with the sound concerned the ornaments and "liquid" describes them very well. When slowed down many of them are difficult to distinguish; there's just a gloopy sound. And the fact that you have found on YouTube vids of other very low whistles with a similar liquid sound suggests it is down to a characteristic of bass whistles as Peter suggested. I guess I'm not not used to hearing bass whistles being played.

Thanks for the suggestion ytliek. Not needed right now.
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

:D I'm only a newbie around here, & it did sound good, so I'd better check out some 'low whistles' ........ on the other hand, I don't want to be tempted into getting one, I've got enough learning to do already. :lol:
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
cavefish
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

its a low A, i use to play this years ago,, its not an NAF, i used to make those and there is no way you can make sounds like that or 3rd octave or even a full 2nd octave those NAFs
Choose you this day, whom ye shall serve