Patterns of Finger Vibrato for Low D

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
pancelticpiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Re: Patterns of Finger Vibrato for Low D

Post by pancelticpiper »

Peter Duggan wrote: fingered vibrato seems a perfectly logical and acceptable term for its use in non-French-speaking trad.
Indeed Flattement is French. Vibrato is Italian. Yet both are used when discussing music, in English.

Or German, because Quantz used the term flattement when writing in that language.

However it seems that many English flutists in the 18th and 19th centuries used the term vibrato (or "vibration") to refer specifically to finger vibrato (the only sort many orchestral flutists of the time did).
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
benhall.1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: Patterns of Finger Vibrato for Low D

Post by benhall.1 »

pancelticpiper wrote:
Peter Duggan wrote:However it seems that many English flutists in the 18th and 19th centuries used the term vibrato (or "vibration") to refer specifically to finger vibrato (the only sort many orchestral flutists of the time did).
Where have you got that from, Richard? All I can find about the subject seems to indicate the opposite is true, and that flattement was merely one of the techniques used to produce a vibrato effect. Others included throat and chest vibrato and shaking the flute. This goes back as far as Quantz, who was already discussing chest vibrato and other vibrato techniques.