Generation Bb vs Dixon Trad Alto Bb

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Peter Duggan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Re: Generation Bb vs Dixon Trad Alto Bb

Post by Peter Duggan »

mickey66 wrote:If, you buy a stock Generation Bb whistle it will NOT be a tuneable whistle! And, really difficult to turn into a tuneable whistle
I'd say that's debatable at least...

I've got both Freeman-tweaked and standard Bb Gens bought at the same time to compare, and would say the Freeman version improves on the standard in some ways but is actually poorer in others, so it's not all gain. I also used to have a full set of classic Gens collected as a boy, but sold them all a year or two back. From memory, the Bb was a good one and preferable to either of my newer ones. For a modestly-priced Bb whistle, of the ones I've tried and still have, I'd recommend the Susato Oriole. I've just (in checking prices) discovered the most damning review on amazon.com where someone 'with above average breath control' claims it's unstable at the bottom and 'virtually unplayable', but mine's lovely. For sure it has the narrowest bore-to-length ratio of the four Orioles sharing the same mouthpiece, but that's why it's lovely (at a couple of millimetres narrower than Generation bore but similar volume and to me superior playing qualities) where the D and Eb Orioles shriek towards the top!
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
mickey66
Tell us something.: I am a Professional Musician in Phx, Az. Lived in Calif(Hollywood) for about 10 years(1970's) working in the studios and on the road with stars of the day. Started to follow my roots which took me back to the old country and the Irish Tin Whistle. I wound up here on C&F forum!

Post by mickey66 »

All I can say is for me.....The stock Bb Gens(Brass) I could not remove the heads at all ! Maybe other people will have better luck with that? The Freeman Brass Bb that I have(mine) sounds great and plays in-tune with itself. M
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

The Freeman Brass Bb that I have(mine) sounds great and plays in-tune with itself. M
The same can be said about the Gen Bflat I have.
My brain hurts

Chifmunk
Tell us something.: Hi, I play 5-string banjo, mountain dulcimer, bones, and am now a beginner pennywhistler. I have some Dixon, Freeman, and Susato whistles. This is obviously the most extensive forum for information in whistle learning- thanks!
I also run a banjo/mando/fiddle shirt site at https://harmonias.com/
and a mountain dulcimer social site at: fotmd.com

Post by Chifmunk »

Do the modern Gen whistles come with the head glued on? Just wondering.
Having FUN playin' my whistles!
http://pennywhistleclub.com/
...a new social network just for whistlers
Tor

Post by Tor »

Chifmunk wrote:Do the modern Gen whistles come with the head glued on? Just wondering.
My Gens did.. I used hot/near-boiling water to 'unglue' the heads. I don't have a Bb though.
O'Briant

Post by O'Briant »

I agree with Mr. Gumby -- I really don't like dixons generally, though I liked the dixon conical plastic low d enough to hang onto it. I also agree with the thought that which whistles you like is a matter of personal taste. For me, I quite enjoy generations, tweaked or otherwise, and I have no problem getting nice tone throughout the upper register.
"Every ass likes to hear itself bray." Mark Twan
joshuaZ
Tell us something.: I am interested in low and high whistles of all keys - and how to adjust them!
Built my own whistle body a while ago and am wondering what is the easiest way to built a mouthpiece.

Post by joshuaZ »

Hi there,

I have a generation brass Bb which I did the warm water trick and did the simple putty tweak myself. It was a bit louder, less chiffy, and more complex before the tweak; afterwards it's purer, softer, and more chiffy - I think it became a little easier to play/control as well.The second octave is more like a Chieftain V3 after the tweak, and is not overly piercing. I really like it - and like to play along TinWhistler on YouTube (they have a few videos playing a Bb).

I don't really have a Dixon Bb, but Dixon has one of the best customer services (Dixon and Phil Hardy are top of my list). The problem with all whistles with plastic head is the possible presence of extra bits here and there due to the moulding process. When I had problem with my Dixon alto G, they offered me new whistle head without any problem. I didn't even have to send my old one back for inspection, nor did anyone throw any suspicion on my skill level. And when I needed new o-rings for my low D, they likewise offered to post me a pair (I didn't even request a new pair, I was only asking about their diameters).

So yeah it's one of those things where you can't go wrong either way. I'd suggest the Generation if you are keen on tweaking whistles yourself, and the Dixon if you prefer peace of mind.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I'd suggest the Generation if you are keen on tweaking whistles yourself
There is no reason to assume you NEED to alter the whistle. It will be fine as is.
My brain hurts

joshuaZ
Tell us something.: I am interested in low and high whistles of all keys - and how to adjust them!
Built my own whistle body a while ago and am wondering what is the easiest way to built a mouthpiece.

Post by joshuaZ »

Mr.Gumby wrote:
I'd suggest the Generation if you are keen on tweaking whistles yourself
There is no reason to assume you NEED to alter the whistle. It will be fine as is.
I didn't say one needs to alter a generation Bb. I only mean that IF one is keen on tweaking a whistle, generation is a good choice (due to it's affordability).

E.g. I'd suggest a student to go to Cambridge if he/she wishes to study physics. But that does not at all imply that everyone who goes to Cambridge needs to study physics.
stefvek
Tell us something.: Hallo hallo hallo - I'm an intermediate whistle player from Greece and would like to ask a question re: the Dixon Trad C as compared to other C whistles out there. Since moving up to the Trad D from the crummy little Feadog I started out with playing has become a real pleasure and I'm looking to learn much more in time! Take care.

Post by stefvek »

Too true, joshuaZ - I was a Literature kid myself :) And the Physicists were right up there with the Engineers, Medics, and Lawyers as the most insanely overworked students there. (Not that we weren't as well, but there was a spectrum from generally overworked through to heart palpitations as the norm). Much too much subsistence on hummus straight from the pot and "coffee" (mud) at all ungodly hours. Good times.
mickey66
Tell us something.: I am a Professional Musician in Phx, Az. Lived in Calif(Hollywood) for about 10 years(1970's) working in the studios and on the road with stars of the day. Started to follow my roots which took me back to the old country and the Irish Tin Whistle. I wound up here on C&F forum!

Post by mickey66 »

Chifmunk wrote:Do the modern Gen whistles come with the head glued on? Just wondering.
Yes....at least the last two Bb's I bought did ! I tried really hot water to loosen the Heads but no luck. I didn't want to ruin the heads so I gave up on them(Bb's Brass). All the other Generation whistles can be made tuneable by dunkN the whistle Head in hot water. M Ok...I did a search and found this very old thread! This is from Jerry Freeman(I know, I have cleaned glue from Gens but Jerry says no). The purpose of the hot water, btw, is independent of glue or no glue. The plastic expands when heated, thereby loosening the whistlehead.

When removing Generation, Walton (not glued) or Feadog (also not glued) whistleheads that refuse to come off without heat, you can immerse the whistlehead for ten seconds or so in almost boiling water (don't let it lean on the bottom of the vessel), take the whistlehead firmly in one hand, twist and pull, all in just a few seconds after taking it out of the water, or if you wait a few seconds too long, it will shrink again and not come off until you heat it in the water another time and move more quickly to remove it before it cools again. Use a towel or the like in the whistlehead hand to prevent scalding.

Best wishes,
Jerry
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I have a Jerry Freeman Generation Bb that's very nice, near-perfect really.

It's got the exact thing I prize with really good vintage Generations: a sweet clear easy 2nd octave, yet a full round low octave, and perfect tuning.

I have several off-the-shelf Generation Bb whistles about that I've acquired over the last 40 years and none of them play very well, none of them are in tune. The best one has a somewhat flat 2nd octave and the note emitting from Hole 6 is quite sharp, so I have to have tape on that hole. The others have extremely flat 2nd octaves.

I'm sure there are off-the-shelf Bb Generations that are in tune, I've just never found one, in 40 years of looking. It's why I play the Freeman.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
stefvek
Tell us something.: Hallo hallo hallo - I'm an intermediate whistle player from Greece and would like to ask a question re: the Dixon Trad C as compared to other C whistles out there. Since moving up to the Trad D from the crummy little Feadog I started out with playing has become a real pleasure and I'm looking to learn much more in time! Take care.

Post by stefvek »

This has all been wonderfully useful - I think it's going to be a Freeman and hopefully the Dixon sometime in future. Can't wait to play in Bb! Take care all.
Chifmunk
Tell us something.: Hi, I play 5-string banjo, mountain dulcimer, bones, and am now a beginner pennywhistler. I have some Dixon, Freeman, and Susato whistles. This is obviously the most extensive forum for information in whistle learning- thanks!
I also run a banjo/mando/fiddle shirt site at https://harmonias.com/
and a mountain dulcimer social site at: fotmd.com

Post by Chifmunk »

Do let us know how it works out!
Having FUN playin' my whistles!
http://pennywhistleclub.com/
...a new social network just for whistlers
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Mr.Gumby wrote: I detest Dixon whistles, don't like them one bit. But you know, YMMV.
When I met Tony at the NAMM Show and tried a number of his whistles I did find, among the high D whistles with the moulded black plastic top and thick-walled alloy tubing body, some that played very well. I set aside the best of the lot but like the eejit I am I forgot to buy it. It had an interesting dark woody tone and was very responsive.

I was most impressed with his one-piece conical all-plastic Low D whistle, which played more like a flute than any Low D I've played. The two different two-piece production models I acquired later didn't play the way I recall that one-piece prototype playing. It was a special thing.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle