Book for beginner to advanced

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
s1m0n
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Book for beginner to advanced

Post by s1m0n »

German Whistler wrote:i have a question about Robin Williamson's "Penny Whistle Book"
I had a "look inside" at amazon and it seems to be mostly a tunes collection.
Does it also have instructions? Rols cuts etc ....?
It IS mostly a tunes book, as I recall. It had the least amount of what I'd call whistle-specific technique of anything I've seen marketed as a whistle method.

But, everyone learns differently. I'm sure to some, that's exactly what they want in a tutor. It wasn't what I needed.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
zen
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by zen »

Another plug here for the Mary Bergin tutor. I’m pretty much self-taught and hit a major plateau about a year ago, finding that the tunes didn’t flow as well as I wanted them to and often felt kind of clunky and awkward, especially when I was playing by myself. I’m working systematically through Vol 2 and it includes the best description about the importance of the internal rhythm of Irish tunes and how to honour it in the playing. This tutor has cleared up my confusion about where to place ornamentation, tonguing and breath pauses – although it has taken a heap of work to correct bad habits and to learn how to place the emphasis to get the drive, lilt and lift. Her notation really helps to identify the internal rhythm and is not complicated to learn. I’ve looked a lot of whistle tutors over the years and this is by far the best.

I haven't posted on here for a very long time but am so impressed by this book that I just had to log in to make a comment.
Mikethebook
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

Post by Mikethebook »

I second zen . . . though I'm a bit miffed that Vol 3 is taking so long to come out which contains instruction on airs. They are exceptional books!! I've tried many tutors including on-line courses and none of them hold a candle IMO to Mary Bergin's books.