"Restricted" Kerry Pro Low D

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Mikethebook
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

"Restricted" Kerry Pro Low D

Post by Mikethebook »

Has anyone bought one of Phil Hardy's "Restricted" Kerry Pro Low Ds, a tweak that combines a reduced windway height with a shortened window. I'm really interested in its potential characteristics but would love to see a thorough review.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: "Restricted" Kerry Pro Low D

Post by chas »

Geez, when I saw "restricted", I was thinking maybe it had some sort of governor that wouldn't let it play above the second-octave A for "safety" reasons.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

Could mean restricted to people who can play a low whistle.
Mikethebook
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

Post by Mikethebook »

Restricted windway, restricted window/vent. Nothing more. Check out this video of Toby Shaer trying one out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQhTtBBQxGU. Unfortunately, he doesn't say much about the whistle except that it is quieter and uses less breath.
Mr.Nate

Post by Mr.Nate »

Mike,
Since you already own a Goldie low D with medium back pressure, you could buy one for comparison and be the first person to do an in depth review!
Just think of what a valuable contribution you could make to the whistle community!

We would all be incredibly grateful!

Thanks in advance.
Whistling in the Rockies!!
Mikethebook

Post by Mikethebook »

Hi Mr Nate,
I'm severely tempted . . . but funds are very limited and I want to know more about what I would be getting before I commit. I do indeed have a Goldie Low D with medium backpressure. And while I would like an easier second octave, I don't want to give up the minimal breath requirements I already have in the Goldie. Sorry, I don't want to lay out cash on a relatively unknown whistle. Hence the thread!
Cheers
Mike
whistle1000

Post by whistle1000 »

You could buy it with the funds you are willing to spend on an O'Briain Low D, based on your add in theUIE. Try it and sell it once the O'Briain comes along. I admire you determination on looking for the one for you. I've been following your posts. FWIW, I've played and owned some of the well known makers. Played a Copeland for 20 years and the rare Grinter for almost as long.. Traded the Copeland for an MK pro D an F and quite delighted with the choice...I realize that this is just my opinion but I don't seem to be alone there...out of all whistles that I've heard about at CnF, the MK seems to be the one that pleases a wide array of players..best of luck finding the one for you!
Mikethebook

Post by Mikethebook »

I can't really afford an O'Briain but in the unlikely event one comes up for sale, I may have to re-evaluate my remaining whistle plans. I've asked Phil several questions about the restricted Kerry and not yet received the answers I'd hoped for . . . maybe because he was rushed, preparing to go on holiday today. But when I asked him about the windway height, he said "it is a touch less that 1mm," which suggests to me it is a softer blower than my Goldie at 0.87mm, definitely not what I want. In any case he has no more whistles now for a month or so, time for me to get more answers, either from Phil or from others who have played one.

If you've been following my posts, you may know my main interest is playing (or trying to play) Davy Spillane's music which challenges most whistles with its regular use of 2+ octaves, and many players with its sustained high notes. Plus I prefer the cosmic drainpipe sound that comes from the Overton design and to a lesser extent the O'Briain. I love my medium Goldie (my main whistle for several years now) and with a big hole body fitted, it comes close to ideal for me, though I would still like the second and third octaves to be a little more relaxed. I do have another iron in the fire, actually the primary iron. Five months ago, Colin Goldie and I talked about him making me a medium Low D with a shorter window, retaining the air efficiency but softening the second octave and slightly weakening the first, which works better for me. In addition, an extra big hole body would not only fatten the sound but add to the accessibility of the second and third octaves. It hasn't been made yet due to Colin's backlog of orders etc. But my feeling is that, on paper, this whistle might produce as good a balance as I can reasonably expect, the ideal low D whistle for me . . .

Nevertheless, since he is moving in the same direction in design, I'm still interested in what Phil's experiments with the window length is producing and, subject to what reports say and my finances, interested in buying one!
mickey66
Tell us something.: I am a Professional Musician in Phx, Az. Lived in Calif(Hollywood) for about 10 years(1970's) working in the studios and on the road with stars of the day. Started to follow my roots which took me back to the old country and the Irish Tin Whistle. I wound up here on C&F forum!

Post by mickey66 »

All I know about this whistle is from his Videos and an email I received. He told me "no room for procrastination around here" I was inquiring about availability! His hand-built whistles sell really quickly! Like within 24 hours most of the time. I'm not that fast on the trigger! AND, I'm 8 hours behind him!
Mikethebook

Post by Mikethebook »

Yes, they do go quickly. And why not. They are decent whistles. With Colin, because of all his orders, there is usually a long wait. But at least I know exactly what I'm buying and have a major say in how it comes out. I guess I'd rather the wait than buying an expensive whistle with insufficient information about how it plays. And of course, as you say, there's no time or opportunity to ask questions when they become available as they get snapped up. That's why I'm hoping someone on C&F has bought one and is willing to give us a thorough review.