Alien Covenant

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
seanpmoran
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I find it hard to believe too, but I have been playing the tin whistle for 52 years. My late father taught me when I was 6 years old. My favourite whistles are by Steve Harper and Hans Bracker.

Alien Covenant

Post by seanpmoran »

Have you seen the film? There is the strangest scene depicting a whistle lesson. The dialogue had cinema-goers chuckling, here in Ireland. And the fingering bears no relation to the sounds we hear. Your comments?

Seán in Tipperary
Chifmunk
Tell us something.: Hi, I play 5-string banjo, mountain dulcimer, bones, and am now a beginner pennywhistler. I have some Dixon, Freeman, and Susato whistles. This is obviously the most extensive forum for information in whistle learning- thanks!
I also run a banjo/mando/fiddle shirt site at https://harmonias.com/
and a mountain dulcimer social site at: fotmd.com

Re: Alien Covenant

Post by Chifmunk »

Is it 'supposed' to be an Irish whistle, or an instrument from another world or culture?
Funny, I'm watching the Alien series right now, but am currently still waiting to get III in the queue.
Having FUN playin' my whistles!
http://pennywhistleclub.com/
...a new social network just for whistlers
seanpmoran
Tell us something.: I find it hard to believe too, but I have been playing the tin whistle for 52 years. My late father taught me when I was 6 years old. My favourite whistles are by Steve Harper and Hans Bracker.

Post by seanpmoran »

Once you've seen it, you'll know what caused the chuckles. :)
Chifmunk
Tell us something.: Hi, I play 5-string banjo, mountain dulcimer, bones, and am now a beginner pennywhistler. I have some Dixon, Freeman, and Susato whistles. This is obviously the most extensive forum for information in whistle learning- thanks!
I also run a banjo/mando/fiddle shirt site at https://harmonias.com/
and a mountain dulcimer social site at: fotmd.com

Post by Chifmunk »

I look forward to it then. :D
Having FUN playin' my whistles!
http://pennywhistleclub.com/
...a new social network just for whistlers
DaveAuty
Tell us something.: I play the whistle, I used to play flute but have Dupuytren's contracture so can only play whistle now which is fine. Mostly play sessions around Canterbury Kent area.

Post by DaveAuty »

Usually I can tell the sound of a Recorder, this is a bit in-between-ish (Whistle/Recorder) I would plump for a Recorder though. I enjoyed the film, predictable of course but you can't go wrong with invincible acid drooling aliens.
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

DaveAuty wrote:Usually I can tell the sound of a Recorder, this is a bit in-between-ish (Whistle/Recorder) I would plump for a Recorder though. I enjoyed the film, predictable of course but you can't go wrong with invincible acid drooling aliens.
I saw the movie today and to my ears it did sound like a Japanese flute, the sound of it but not the look of the instrument. Anyway, I'm usually very lax with Science-Fiction movies but I personally found the movie horrible. The actions of some of the crew were so laughable they actually deserved to die, it's natural selection I guess ;-)
DaveAuty
Tell us something.: I play the whistle, I used to play flute but have Dupuytren's contracture so can only play whistle now which is fine. Mostly play sessions around Canterbury Kent area.

Post by DaveAuty »

The actions of some of the crew were so laughable they actually deserved to die, it's natural selection I guess ;-)
Yes I agree they did deserve to die especially the guy having a poo and chucking his cigarette butt away. I think maybe that was the point, to show how crass and stupid humans can be!
Japanese flute, didn't think of that.
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

DaveAuty wrote:
The actions of some of the crew were so laughable they actually deserved to die, it's natural selection I guess ;-)
Yes I agree they did deserve to die especially the guy having a poo and chucking his cigarette butt away. I think maybe that was the point, to show how crass and stupid humans can be!
Japanese flute, didn't think of that.
I think you give them too much credit. Without getting into spoilers, you're supposed to be a research team on a new planet where you could find highly dangerous pathogens, and the first thing you do when you see something strange on the ground is put your finger in it? It's just bad scripting.
DaveAuty

Post by DaveAuty »

It's just bad scripting.
Of course your right, it's very unlikely any off-world researcher would behave like that. From my point of view its not a film about how 'intelligent' people should behave but a pure fantasy with aliens doing their thing and the humans behaving stupidly and predictably. Almost like the pantomime scenario... "HE'S BEHIND YOU!". Bad scripting or not it did the trick for me as I wasn't expecting anyone to behave rationally.

I did enjoy the bit of flute music, although they could have made the instrument itself a bit more believable. It didn't look as if it could physically play all the notes heard with only three holes.
Katharine
Tell us something.: Something..............................................................................................

Post by Katharine »

I'm so glad I wasn't the only one bothered by this, lol.
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.
walrii

Post by walrii »

Haven't seen the movie yet but plan to. The instrument in the movie, if Hollywood sticks to their own script, almost certainly an unplayable prop with the music dubbed in later by a musician in a sound studio. Anyone remember the Ressikan flute on Star Trek?
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

walrii wrote:Anyone remember the Ressikan flute on Star Trek?
We've been trying to forget. :poke:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:
walrii wrote:Anyone remember the Ressikan flute on Star Trek?
We've been trying to forget. :poke:
Anyway, it wasn't Star Trek; it was TNG. :evil: