Indigo Girls- "Closer to Fine" Whistle Key?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
mrandel
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi I am trying to pick up a little knowledge about the tin whistle. I play guitar and harmonica and would like to be able to add the whistle to a few tunes when I gig.

Indigo Girls- "Closer to Fine" Whistle Key?

Post by mrandel »

Hi, I am a guitar and harmonica player making my 1st attempt to play a tin whistle. I'd like to play the whistle solo from Indigo Girls "Closer to Fine" for a gig this fall. Does anyone out there know what the key of whistle I need to have for that song. I bought a D whistle which I believe has the required notes, but it seems I don't have access to the low note of the solo with that whistle.

Thanks for any help I can get on this.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: Indigo Girls- "Closer to Fine" Whistle Key?

Post by benhall.1 »

What a lovely song. I'd never even heard of the Indigo Girls before but this is great stuff. Yes it seems to be a D whistle. All the notes are available. The lowest note in that solo is a bottom E, played with all but the bottom hole covered
stiofan
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Post by stiofan »

A bit of music trivia: Fiachna Ó Braonáin of Hothouse Flowers played the whistle part on 'Closer to Fine,' along with Liam Ó Maonlaí on bodhrán. Great song, brings back fond memories.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUgwM1Ky228
mrandel
Tell us something.: Hi I am trying to pick up a little knowledge about the tin whistle. I play guitar and harmonica and would like to be able to add the whistle to a few tunes when I gig.

Post by mrandel »

Thanks for the help! ... I shall endeavor to persevere.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

By the way, it does strike me as quite a difficult choice for a first attempt at whistle, simply because this solo starts way up on those difficult notes at the top of the whistle.
dkerr
Tell us something.: I am interested in this forum because I love the sound of wind instruments. Not much more to say than that.

Post by dkerr »

[Thread revival - Mod]

So, did you ever find the tin whistle notes for the solo in the Indigo Girls "Closer to Fine"? I can't follow the movement from the video and I can not find the notes anywhere on-line. Does anyone have the notes, or have found them posted on-line somewhere?

Thx in advance