Alternative high D

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
s1m0n
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Alternative high D

Post by s1m0n »

benhall.1 wrote: "Woodsheddin'" is, by definition, private. It seems to me that that is not what AuLoS303 is doing.
In the age of social media, nothing is private. In days of yore, folks resorted to the woodshed to avoid imposing themselves on the other denisons of a 4 room cottage. No one these days lives so close. A Youtube video you can click on, or not, is no kind of imposition on anyone, and it's stupid to pretend otherwise. Leave the man alone. He's doing no one any harm.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
AuLoS303
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Post by AuLoS303 »

Thank you Simon. I am just trying to learn an instrument and am enjoying it. Tho I am finding myself less inclined to post on here.
You can play beautiful music on an ugly flute
My musical endeavours on my blog
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

s1m0n wrote:In the age of social media, nothing is private.
Well, that's clearly not true, but we can leave it.
s1m0n wrote:A Youtube video you can click on, or not, is no kind of imposition on anyone, and it's stupid to pretend otherwise.
Bit of a straw man there, s1m0n. No-one has suggested this.
AuLoS303
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Post by AuLoS303 »

Peter Duggan wrote:
oleorezinator wrote:Depending on the whistle,
oxx ooo or oxx xox might
work too.Overblown.
We're talking about second D... are you talking about third? In which case, yes, I treat OXXOOO as standard and other options as fine tuning for whistles that need it.
Ah, newbie mistake! I assumed the whistle had a 2 octave range! So there's a third D? :boggle:
You can play beautiful music on an ugly flute
My musical endeavours on my blog
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

In the age of social media, nothing is private
True, oversharing, pretending the banal and commonplace is special and of interest to the world is the order of the day.

As you said, we were all beginners once. There's no shame in it, but there is most certainly no reason whatsoever to bother people telling them about it thread after thread. If you need validation, placing videos of yourself being clueless in the public domain is not going to do anything for you. Buying a whistle for a fiver and blowing into it is not an achievement. When you film yourself doing something you don't have developed the skills for, your videos are only going to show you being inept and clueless. Grow up, do the work and and one day you may have something worthwhile to show. That is what I think.

I am all for encouraging beginners and sometimes clips can be helpful if the poster is looking for help and feedback. I can also understand the occasional need for validation. But you have to ask yourself, why do you play music(look up the story of Henry Bohannon, it quite nicely sums up a few things)? Perhaps part of the learning process is to learn a bit of self appreciation and appreciation for the music you're playing. Take away the ego that needs feeding, all that sort of stuff. Do your thing and enjoy it for what it is. But keep the neediness in check, please.

And, yes, this sort of thing does do damage.

[edited for coherence and a typo or two]
Last edited by Mr.Gumby on Thu May 25, 2017 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
My brain hurts

Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

AuLoS303 wrote:Ah, newbie mistake! I assumed the whistle had a 2 octave range! So there's a third D? :boggle:
The third D completes the second octave. Which I'd regard as the top of the 'normal' range. But, yes, you can get higher.

Low D, high D and top D make sense to me on whistle, but it's generally clear from context which people are referring to and I knew which you meant.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Hooleh
Tell us something.: A whistler and a beginner Uilleann piper from Scandinavia. Maybe some day a piper during this life time.

Post by Hooleh »

In all fairness, Youtube is a social media gravitated towards not only showing off your skills, but just genrally sharing what you know and have. There's absolutely no requirement to be proficient in what you intend to upload. That's just the convention of the platform, and in my opinion does no harm for anyone to upload newbie-videos over there, and it's also a great channel for receiving feedback and improving your playing. You must have some sort of media literacy, just like all around the web, to realise what material to take as something useful and what to enjoy otherwise. If everyone followed that mentality of not sharing anything until you have some worthwhile to share, no-one would ever dare to upload anything, being scared of judgement from the 'real pros'.
A different thing would be, though, to post some newbie-material and claim to be pro and mislead other beginners on purpose. An unfortunate element in Youtube, too, but inevitable. Once more a situation of personal media literacy for the consumer.

Summa summarum: post all the videos you like, everyone is responsible for their personal way of interpreting material from the web! :thumbsup:
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I really shouldn't post before having my morning coffee and go off on one (see above). Youtube is probably a whole different can of worms. But enough from me, I'll leave it at that.
My brain hurts

Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

s1m0n wrote:In days of yore, folks resorted to the woodshed to avoid imposing themselves on the other denisons of a 4 room cottage. No one these days lives so close.
If uploading to YouTube meets your woodshed analogy, constantly drawing attention to it here is the equivalent of constantly coming back into the cottage and saying 'please come out to the woodshed to see/hear what I've done.' It's not necessary, and it is imposing yourself on the forum whether or not people actually choose to follow the links.
A Youtube video you can click on, or not, is no kind of imposition on anyone, and it's stupid to pretend otherwise. Leave the man alone. He's doing no one any harm.
See above. If someone wants to fill their YouTube channel with the musical equivalent of T-h-e-c-a-t-s-a-t-o-n-t-h-e-m-a-t, no-one's stopping them, but we don't need constant reminders. Some occasional links to new videos with questions like 'how do I do this?', 'am I getting this technique right?' or even 'look, I've taken this on board and am improving' might be different, but that's not what we're getting here.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

In the past newcomers here have put their experiences as a learning whistler in a blog and posted a link in their signature line.

I believe that's a decent compromise that leaves everybody free to visit or ignore as they see fit.
My brain hurts

benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Locked.