Alba Bass B Whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
gariwerd
antispam: No

Alba Bass B Whistle

Post by gariwerd »

Received an ordered bass B from Stacey at Alba a couple of weeks ago and I'm very impressed with it. The fipple is very similar in design to an MK. The steep ramp creates a turbulence that gives a certain 'muddy' sound that the MK, Goldie and others have that I think was envisioned in the term, 'cosmic drainpipe'. Its a sound I prefer over a more pure and less complex tone. It has quite a reasonable amount of backpressure without being over the top and is economical on air requirements in both octaves. Well constructed and well in tune I think its an excellent buy at 150 pounds. I also wanted a strong 5th note. These are often made very small (especially in bass whistles) to make reach easier for the fourth finger but compromising the quality of the note. I told Stacey I had large hands and wanted to use their stretch to make this note strong. She extended the note's reach to give a really good sized hole and it plays great. I think even if I didn't have large hands I would get this hole extended and play it with the pinkie ( probably offsetting the hole) to gain the increase in quality of tone. Waiting time for the order was negligible. All in all its two thumbs up from me.
pancelticpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Re: Alba Bass B Whistle

Post by pancelticpiper »

So B natural? Or B flat? I ask because I thought she only made bass whistles in A, Bb, and C.

I have the Bass A and it plays great. The finger-stretch is actually easier than some Low C's I've seen.

I'm strongly considering getting a Bb. Good to hear your B is a good player.

I liked the Bass A so much I ordered a Low C. I was surprised to find that it's made out of the same huge tubing as the Bass A, and I feel the bore might be a bit wide.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Derek Blackwell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Derek Blackwell »

By 5th note do you mean XXX XXO ?
Hooleh
Tell us something.: A whistler and a beginner Uilleann piper from Scandinavia. Maybe some day a piper during this life time.

Post by Hooleh »

Myself I have the bass Bb from Alba Whistles, and I'm very satisfied with it. Suits all my needs for meditative music, laments and other non-trdad projects.

Excluding the finger stretch between the second to lowest note and the lowest note, which is quite long and took some time to get used to, but is still very doable at least for me, the finger stretch concerning the rest of the whistle is very reasonable. Before receiving the whistle, I was concerned that my fingers wouldn't stretch as long, but after a while I feel like for me it's not that much different from a low D, again the abovementioned hole distance excluded.

Anyhow, well worth its very affordable price!
gariwerd

Post by gariwerd »

Panceltic: Yes, its a B natural not Bb. The Alba website doesn't offer it but I asked her if it was possible and Stacey said she did it by request.
Derek: Yes, I am referring to the note played by XXX XXO. There are only 2 holes (the 2nd and 5th) on this whistle that are bigger than the 6th so it gives a very even expression to all the notes.
Hooleh: Yes, I too find the reach for all the other holes is quite easy.
Derek Blackwell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Derek Blackwell »

Richard: I was thinking of getting an Alba low C myself. What don't you like about the wide bore? Is the upper range lacking? I would hope it would have a very strong low range, which is mainly what I'm after.

How is the XXX XXO note on the low C? I like the idea of the custom extended lowest hole. Yes, agreed, the second lowest note tends to suffer with all low whistles I've tried except MK.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Yes exactly, on the Low C the low octave is wonderful, very full, but the upper half of the 2nd octave is a bit harsh and stiff. This is precisely what I would expect due to the unusually large bore-to-length ratio. The finger-stretch is around the same as many Low D's. The "low E" (actually D) is fine, as on all the Alba whistles I have.

That same tubing, on my Bass A, plays spectacularly well. Seems like the bore-to-length ratio and the voicing is absolutely perfect.

And yes the finger-stretch on the Bass A is surprisingly easy.

I'm considering ordering, if she will do it, a Low C using her Low D tubing, which as I understand it is a bit wider than most Low D's.

BTW I recently played the Alba Bass A in a little set I did at the Pipes Of Spring concert. You have to jump ahead to 3:44

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HARFCTJVZ8I
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle