ideas for self-percussion with whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Tommy
antispam: No

Re: ideas for self-percussion with whistle?

Post by Tommy »

Chifmunk wrote:Tommy, that thing about the sheet metal sounds very interesting- can you explain what you mean by "bent with a bow" or just that it was bent into a shape of a bow? What was the shape it was bent to- a C shape? Was it held or tied in any way to keep it springing back to the same shape again while being tapped?
It was not curved enough to be a C but an arch. No bow attached. He was sitting and did most of taping it with the toe of his shoe. It was about 4 or 6 inches wide and about two feet long. He was able to keep it from moving around from him but I think a person could put some duct tape on it then to a chair leg.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Pfreddee

Post by Pfreddee »

Save money and stomp your feet? :tomato:

With best regards.

Pfreddee(Stephen)
nicx66
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi, I have been playing whistle for 3 years. I made my first whistle 2 years ago and my first tin whistle last year in a tinsmithing class.

Post by nicx66 »

s1m0n wrote:There are several foot-based rhythm systems, all good, but the one that's most "music" and least "dance" is the quebecois podorhythm. Seriously. If you wanna play a beat behind your whistle, that's your best option.

And it's cheap. What are you frightened of?
Indeed it can be simply a rectangular piece of hard maple or the like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCMb-MSOEC4

Early recordings of the Fureys utilized sheet steel, spoons, et al as the sole accompaniment to Finbar's whistle playing. The record I am thinking of is 'The Traveling People of Ireland', a collection of field recordings by Artelia Court. Four or five selections highlight this, however I believe it was one of his brothers doing the percussion.
Last edited by nicx66 on Sun May 28, 2017 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

a collection of field recordings by Artelia Court.

A great collection of music.

Alen MacWeeney, however, should probably get more credit than you give him there. For his photographs, for initiating and running the project and for his recording of the travelers he encountered. . I don't know the exact role of Artelia Court (editor, writer, collaborator), the original lp says '[..]collected by Alen MacWeeney with the assistence of Artelia Court.

MacWeeney's more recent documentary where he revisits his subjects and his book (with more recordings) Irish Travellers : Tinkers no more are a bit of a must see as well, if you're into that sort of thing.

But whoever you credit, great stuff.

Last edited by Mr.Gumby on Sun May 28, 2017 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
My brain hurts

Chifmunk
Tell us something.: Hi, I play 5-string banjo, mountain dulcimer, bones, and am now a beginner pennywhistler. I have some Dixon, Freeman, and Susato whistles. This is obviously the most extensive forum for information in whistle learning- thanks!
I also run a banjo/mando/fiddle shirt site at https://harmonias.com/
and a mountain dulcimer social site at: fotmd.com

Post by Chifmunk »

Pfreddee wrote:Save money and stomp your feet? :tomato:
Pfreddee(Stephen)
Yes, thanks. That's pretty much what I do when playing banjo- stomp my right foot with an ankle rattle strapped around it. That works pretty well and is my default. Just wanted to hear other folks' ideas as well. Specifically, as per my thread title, I was interested in hearing the various creative suggestions on 'self percussion'- accompanying oneself with any kind of percussive element while playing whistle...as opposed to a separate person providing percussion accompaniment to a person playing whistle (which could be a good subject for a different discussion).
Last edited by Chifmunk on Sun May 28, 2017 12:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Having FUN playin' my whistles!
http://pennywhistleclub.com/
...a new social network just for whistlers
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

And some people stomp on a bodhran...

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
An Draighean
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by An Draighean »

Mr.Gumby wrote:
a collection of field recordings by Artelia Court.

A great collection of music.

Alen MacWeeney, however, should probably get more credit than you give him there. For his photographs, for initiating and running the project and for his recording of the travelers he encountered. . I don't know the exact role of Artelia Court (editor, writer, collaborator), the original lp says '[..]collected by Alen MacWeeney with the assistence of Artelia Court.

MacWeeney's more recent documentary where he revisits his subjects and his book (with more recordings) Irish Travellers : Tinkers no more are a bit of a must see as well, if you're into that sort of thing.

But whoever you credit, great stuff.

What a great photograph! Captured at the perfect moment I suppose, with dramatic natural lighting (and high-speed film).
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

What a great photograph! Captured at the perfect moment I suppose, with dramatic natural lighting (and high-speed film).
You should really look up his book(s), it's great work.

Lovely ones of the Keenans as well:

The book comes wit hCDs as well.

But the portraits from Cherry Orchard are really tremendous.

Alen macWeeney website
My brain hurts

An Draighean
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by An Draighean »

Mr.Gumby wrote:
You should really look up his book(s), it's great work.

Lovely ones of the Keenans as well:

The book comes wit hCDs as well.

But the portraits from Cherry Orchard are really tremendous.

Alen macWeeney website
I shall have to do that; thanks for the link.

Young Paddy, without a hat!
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
Chifmunk
Tell us something.: Hi, I play 5-string banjo, mountain dulcimer, bones, and am now a beginner pennywhistler. I have some Dixon, Freeman, and Susato whistles. This is obviously the most extensive forum for information in whistle learning- thanks!

Post by Chifmunk »

Thanks everyone for your suggestions on playing percussion/rhythm while playing the whistle.
walrii

Post by walrii »

nicx66 wrote:
s1m0n wrote:Indeed it can be simply a rectangular piece of hard maple or the like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCMb-MSOEC4
If you use a wooden box instead of just a flat piece of wood, you get a stomp box. It's relatively common in the cigar box guitar/cookie tin banjo/homemade instrument community.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
Chifmunk

Post by Chifmunk »

walrii wrote:
nicx66 wrote: If you use a wooden box instead of just a flat piece of wood, you get a stomp box. It's relatively common in the cigar box guitar/cookie tin banjo/homemade instrument community.
Yes, they call larger versions of those boxes "Step-a-tunes" in the oldtime music world, for cloggers to dance on. Of course one can make such boxes any size and weight, but using plywood with a little flex in it is often a good thing. Thanks for the suggestion!
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Another thing you may want to look at is a marionette a la planchette or jig doll. I have seen those used, although mostly by acordeonplayers.

They come in different types, operated in different ways, but I am thinking of something like this one. Here is even one used by a whistleplayer.
My brain hurts

Chifmunk

Post by Chifmunk »

Mr.Gumby wrote:Another thing you may want to look at is a marionette a la planchette or jig doll. I have seen those used, although mostly by acordeonplayers.
They come in different types, operated in different ways...
I do have several limberjacks/jigdolls and I play them regularly. You've reminded me that there are clever ways to make them operate-able with the foot tapping. That youtube whistler clip is a good example, especially because he's a heel-tapper (like me) rather than a toe tapper. I may look into doing that. Thanks! :)
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Mr.Gumby wrote:Another thing you may want to look at is a marionette a la planchette or jig doll. I have seen those used, although mostly by acordeonplayers.

They come in different types, operated in different ways, but I am thinking of something like this one. Here is even one used by a whistleplayer.
Anyone have a source for foot-operated jig dolls like the one in the videos?

Thanks and best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.