The Inner Light

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
AuLoS303
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Re: The Inner Light

Post by AuLoS303 »

I apologise if I broke the rules, I'll delete the post if it causes upset.
You can play beautiful music on an ugly flute
My musical endeavours on my blog
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

AuLoS303 wrote:I apologise if I broke the rules, I'll delete the post if it causes upset.
You haven't broken any rules, and you haven't caused upset, so far as I know, and nobody has suggested that you have. Ben - Mod*

* NB: Since you are new round here, to explain, my post above is in red because I am writing it in my capacity as a Moderator.
AuLoS303
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Post by AuLoS303 »

benhall.1 wrote:
AuLoS303 wrote:I apologise if I broke the rules, I'll delete the post if it causes upset.
You haven't broken any rules, and you haven't caused upset, so far as I know, and nobody has suggested that you have. Ben - Mod*

* NB: Since you are new round here, to explain, my post above is in red because I am writing it in my capacity as a Moderator.
Good to hear
The Lurking Fear

Post by The Lurking Fear »

s1m0n wrote:On the whole, TV and movie producers tend to prefer to pay a composer for a piece of original music rather than hope that a "trad" piece really is traditional, and not a more recent composition that's circulating anonymously but for which a valid, and expensive, copyright claim might one day appear.
Plus in this particular case it's doubtful they had access to any trad Kataan tunes!

Also,from "Fandom" site-"Morgan Gendel revealed that the episode's title is an in-joke. "'The Inner Light' was the B-side of 'Lady Madonna.' I thought it would be fun to give every Star Trek episode I wrote a title that's from a different, obscure Beatles song."

So we go from a name of a song,to a name of a TV show episode,to the name of a (different) tune.
Curioser and curioser.
Spielorjh
Tell us something.: I play whistle and want to talk to others who do also. I need to pad this out to 100 characters. 100 characters is longer than it seems to be when one is typing. Perhaps I'll overshoot.

Post by Spielorjh »

More importantly, anyone have sheet music scored for the whistle?
cboody

Post by cboody »

Spielorjh wrote:More importantly, anyone have sheet music scored for the whistle?
The ocarina version has been folded in various ways. There is what seems to be a whistle version on YouTube.

If nobody gets it done in the next week or so I may have time to do it.
AuLoS303

Post by AuLoS303 »

Someone has made a playable replica of the Ressikan flute!

http://www.deviantart.com/art/Playable- ... -436562587
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

AuLoS303 wrote:Someone has made a playable replica of the Ressikan flute!

67 dollars! For a painted Meg with string tied round it! :o
AuLoS303

Post by AuLoS303 »

benhall.1 wrote:
AuLoS303 wrote:Someone has made a playable replica of the Ressikan flute!

67 dollars! For a painted Meg with string tied round it! :o
I didnt realise it was for sale. Good grief. The 'creator ' claims to have paid 50 dollars for the original whistle.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

benhall.1 wrote:67 dollars! For a painted Meg with string tied round it! :o
'It is basically a custom-built Irish-style "tin whistle"'
Nope, a custom-disguised Irish-style "tin whistle"...

'(an instrument similar to a those Medieval-style Recorders my classmates and I were forced to try playing back in grade school)'
Um, no. I bet they weren't 'Medieval-style' Recorders! Vaguely baroque-derived, perhaps.
AuLoS303 wrote:The 'creator ' claims to have paid 50 dollars for the original whistle.
I think this guy's saying he paid that for the finished 'replica'.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

50 dollars back then, Peter. But if you look the seller up on Etsy right now you'll find a sterling price of £51.98 (but shipment only in the States) which I reckon is an automatic conversion at current rates. I calculate that as roughly 67 dollars.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

benhall.1 wrote:50 dollars back then, Peter.
Sure. But my point was $50 for the finished, painted Meg with case, not for the 'original whistle' as implied by AuLoS303. So the person paying the $50 was not the 'creator'.

I'd not want it at any price, but that's another matter. Don't want a Meg either, but would prefer a vanilla Meg to that!

Master of nine?
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Peter Duggan wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:50 dollars back then, Peter.
Sure. But my point was $50 for the finished, painted Meg with case, not for the 'original whistle' as implied by AuLoS303. So the person paying the $50 was not the 'creator'.
Sorry, Peter, I misunderstood you. I get it now. :)
Peter Duggan wrote:I'd not want it at any price, but that's another matter. Don't want a Meg either, but would prefer a vanilla Meg to that!
Er ... yes. :boggle:
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:
Peter Duggan wrote:Don't want a Meg either, but would prefer a vanilla Meg to that!
Er ... yes. :boggle:
It looks like English, but I can't understand a word you're saying. :poke:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Peter Duggan

Post by Peter Duggan »

Nanohedron wrote:It looks like English, but I can't understand a word you're saying. :poke:
Meg = Clarke Meg (whistle brand and model).
vanilla = original, basic, not badly disguised as something I'd like even less.

Anything else?

Master of nine?