MK Low A

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Greg Connor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm facinated by the simplicity and the ability of the irish whistle. I use it mainly for accent while recording music.

MK Low A

Post by Greg Connor »

I just go it in the mail yesterday, a Mezzo, or as Misha calls it, Low A. It's a beautiful whistle and it sounds wonderful. The notes are solid with just the right amount of chiff and back pressure for me.

It's fun to get a new toy once in awhile.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Re: MK Low A

Post by pancelticpiper »

I'm a big fan of MK Low D's but I've never had the chance to try one of his Mezzo A's.

His Low D's have a special unique tone. Some don't care for it, but I love it.

It's clearer to say "Mezzo" because there are whistles an octave below, I have one. They're often called "Bass" to make it clear.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Greg Connor
Tell us something.: I'm facinated by the simplicity and the ability of the irish whistle. I use it mainly for accent while recording music.

Post by Greg Connor »

Yes, I also have an MK Low D. I like the sound of it as well. This Mezzo A has a great tone and the notes seem solid and in tune. It's just a pleasure to play.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

pancelticpiper wrote:It's clearer to say "Mezzo" because there are whistles an octave below
Standard (mezzo) A and Bb whistles I just call A and Bb. There's rarely much need for distinguishing terminology till you get down to G (where I'd probably say high, alto or bass G if necessary), but agreed mezzo describes the 'slightly lower than high D' area well when you have to.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Thing is, I own a "bass" A whistle, an octave below a "mezzo" A whistle.

If somebody calls their whistle a "low" A whistle I wouldn't know which was being referred to, the kinda-sorta-semi-low or the super-uber-hella-low.

G whistles can be got in three octaves! to make things more confusing yet.

I'd like to hear a recording of something done with the three octaves of G whistles...
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
AuLoS303
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Post by AuLoS303 »

I was just listening to a MK low D on instagram. Fabulous sounding instrument
You can play beautiful music on an ugly flute
My musical endeavours on my blog