Freeman Bluebird Production

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Tyler DelGregg
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistles are fun, whistles are charming, whistles sound nice, whistles are affordable, whistles make us smile, whistles make dogs bark, and whistles upset some neighbors.

Freeman Bluebird Production

Post by Tyler DelGregg »

Has Jerry stopped making the Bluebird? I have a collection of this Blackbirds in D and C. I also have two Mellow Dogs. They really are fine whistles. Unfortunately, I sold the one Bluebird that I had. I was told that he altered the playing characteristics of his newer Bluebirds. I was actually surprised at how different the Bluebird was from the Blackbird; it required more push, which was the main reason why I don't have it any more. Now, I rather want to play the Bluebird again.
Steve Bliven

Re: Freeman Bluebird Production

Post by Steve Bliven »

Probably best to contact him directly for product information and availability. He'd know better than we do...

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Chifmunk
Tell us something.: Hi, I play 5-string banjo, mountain dulcimer, bones, and am now a beginner pennywhistler. I have some Dixon, Freeman, and Susato whistles. This is obviously the most extensive forum for information in whistle learning- thanks!
I also run a banjo/mando/fiddle shirt site at https://harmonias.com/
and a mountain dulcimer social site at: fotmd.com

Post by Chifmunk »

Hopefully Jerry will post himself about it, but...
A few months ago I ordered some Blackbirds from him (wonderful whistles!), and I asked about getting a Bluebird. He said he has gotten away from making them- something about them being problematic to make consistent. I think the Mellow Dogs and Blackbirds are the ones to order now. And of course the tweaked Generations. I like the very pretty warbly bird chirp and low air pressure requirement of the Blackbirds for myself. The Dog seems very smoooth and clear but not shrill.
Having FUN playin' my whistles!
http://pennywhistleclub.com/
...a new social network just for whistlers
mickey66
Tell us something.: I am a Professional Musician in Phx, Az. Lived in Calif(Hollywood) for about 10 years(1970's) working in the studios and on the road with stars of the day. Started to follow my roots which took me back to the old country and the Irish Tin Whistle. I wound up here on C&F forum!

Post by mickey66 »

Tyler DelGregg wrote:Has Jerry stopped making the Bluebird? I have a collection of this Blackbirds in D and C. I also have two Mellow Dogs. They really are fine whistles. Unfortunately, I sold the one Bluebird that I had. I was told that he altered the playing characteristics of his newer Bluebirds. I was actually surprised at how different the Bluebird was from the Blackbird; it required more push, which was the main reason why I don't have it any more. Now, I rather want to play the Bluebird again.
I bought his "Bluebird in summer of 2015 and it was different from the way everybody described the "Bluebird" whistle. A lot of back-pressure and way too much for me! Being a whistle tweaker.... I had at it! Now, I really like the way it plays and sounds. It's NOT the "Blackbird" by any stretch of the imagination! But, a really good whistle and in-tune with itself! Has a lovely tone and I hope Jerry still builds it! Jerry rarely posts here anymore sad to say! M
mickey66
Tell us something.: I am a Professional Musician in Phx, Az. Lived in Calif(Hollywood) for about 10 years(1970's) working in the studios and on the road with stars of the day. Started to follow my roots which took me back to the old country and the Irish Tin Whistle. I wound up here on C&F forum!

Post by mickey66 »

Chifmunk wrote:Hopefully Jerry will post himself about it, but...
A few months ago I ordered some Blackbirds from him (wonderful whistles!), and I asked about getting a Bluebird. He said he has gotten away from making them- something about them being problematic to make consistent. I think the Mellow Dogs and Blackbirds are the ones to order now. And of course the tweaked Generations. I like the very pretty warbly bird chirp and low air pressure requirement of the Blackbirds for myself. The Dog seems very smoooth and clear but not shrill.
Well, that answers some questions for me! Thank You! I own two great whistles Jerry no longer builds....A "Gendog" and now the "Bluebird" I like both of these whistles and Jerry is a brilliant whistle builder,Tweaker, etc,etc. He told me the "Gendog" was not anything of note! BUT, he had a few and wanted to sell them off! Well, I like that whistle a lot! "Bluebird" problematic? I think, he is probably correct about that one. I had to work on mine for a couple of days but was worth it! Sadly, not everyone knows how to tweak whistles. The "Bluebird" was not a cheap whistle either(by cheap whistle standards)! M
Chifmunk
Tell us something.: Hi, I play 5-string banjo, mountain dulcimer, bones, and am now a beginner pennywhistler. I have some Dixon, Freeman, and Susato whistles. This is obviously the most extensive forum for information in whistle learning- thanks!

Post by Chifmunk »

mickey66 wrote:Jerry rarely posts here anymore sad to say!
Yes, I agree that's unfortunate.
I adore my Blackbirds C and D, and my Mellow Dog D. Jerry's also a pleasure to deal with when ordering, and answers questions in depth.
Tyler DelGregg
Tell us something.: Whistles are fun, whistles are charming, whistles sound nice, whistles are affordable, whistles make us smile, whistles make dogs bark, and whistles upset some neighbors.

Post by Tyler DelGregg »

Yes, Jerry is a swell fellow. He posted an in-depth explanation on the whistler's facebook page regarding how the Generations have changed over the years and why. He meets Mary Bergin every year, and often speaks to Mr. Sindt (don't know his first name). One interesting thing I learned was that even in the old days when Generations were more consistently good, many players would go through bins of them to select the best. I thought this was a more recent thing. I was glad to learn Mary Bergin thinks highly of his low (alto) G because I have one on the way. By the way, I have a collection of his Blackbirds and Mellow Dogs. Sold off all the expensive ones and kept Jerry's whistles.
mickey66

Post by mickey66 »

" I was glad to learn Mary Bergin thinks highly of his low (alto) G because I have one on the way." He doesn't sell an alto low G on Ebay....Tyler did you buy direct from Jerry? M
Mike Clougherty
Tell us something.: Well, what can I say, I love whistling and the culture that surrounds it. I've been reading this forum for about a year, which is the same time that I've been playing the whistle, though I've been exposed to ITM for most of my life. With a name like Michael Patrick Clougherty who could've guessed? Haha. Anyway, I love this forum and the people that populate it, and I look forward to participating!

Post by Mike Clougherty »

Mickey, I think what Tyler meant is his tenor G. There is still a listing for it on his eBay.
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Thanks for the kind words, and thank you for the interest in my whistles.

I stopped making Bluebirds because it has been impossible to get consistent results with them and I was going through a lot of wasted time and frustration. The frustration was compounded by the fact that Iarla McMahon won the under 12 All Ireland whistle championship with a Bluebird, which increased the interest in them. I wish he'd won with a Mellow Dog or Blackbird, but sometimes fate has an odd sense of humor. Whenever I've offered Blackbirds and Bluebirds side by side at a live event (e.g., Catskills Irish Arts Week), invariably after trying both, people put down the Bluebird and buy the Blackbird. I may try again, but I can't make any promises.

Best wishes,
Jerry
You can purchase my whistles on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/freemanwhistle ... pg=&_from=

or directly from me:

email jerry ("at") freemanwhistles ("dot") com or send a PM.
Tyler DelGregg

Post by Tyler DelGregg »

Yes, sorry, I meant the tenor G. :o
Jerry, do you plan to make a low D one day?
Chifmunk

Post by Chifmunk »

The Blackbirds are extremely nimble, liquid, and warbly. And they don't require a lot of air push so I don't have to gasp for lungfuls of air. Love it! :love:
mickey66

Post by mickey66 »

Jerry Freeman wrote:Thanks for the kind words, and thank you for the interest in my whistles.

I stopped making Bluebirds because it has been impossible to get consistent results with them and I was going through a lot of wasted time and frustration. The frustration was compounded by the fact that Iarla McMahon won the under 12 All Ireland whistle championship with a Bluebird, which increased the interest in them. I wish he'd won with a Mellow Dog or Blackbird, but sometimes fate has an odd sense of humor. Whenever I've offered Blackbirds and Bluebirds side by side at a live event (e.g., Catskills Irish Arts Week), invariably after trying both, people put down the Bluebird and buy the Blackbird. I may try again, but I can't make any promises.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Jerry, please don't give up on the "Bluebird" whistle! It's a lovely whistle! M
mickey66

Post by mickey66 »

Chifmunk wrote:The Blackbirds are extremely nimble, liquid, and warbly. And they don't require a lot of air push so I don't have to gasp for lungfuls of air. Love it! :love:
Yep! Tis a fact!
mickey66

Post by mickey66 »

Mike Clougherty wrote:Mickey, I think what Tyler meant is his tenor G. There is still a listing for it on his eBay.
Thanks, Mike!