Review: Optima vs V4

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Gym Kirk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am interested in Irish music and learning the low whistle. I like how this is a very approachable forum with people of good temperament. I have had a high D whistle for some time and want to connect with others and get some advice on buying a low d

Review: Optima vs V4

Post by Gym Kirk »

Optima vs V4

So I ended up ordering the V4 and Optima while the sale was still going. I figured with the cost of shipping and all I might as well do it at the same time. If I didn’t like one, I could always sell it. So this review will focus on comparing the two. This will be more useful to others as I am new to the whistle and have nothing for comparison other than a Generation, and Clarke High D.

I played the red top Optima exclusively for about 5 days. I put a lot of playing time into it, and my family was very patient. :) Scale after scale after scale. The fingering was harder than expected. I have big hands, so I didn’t think it would be a big deal. But, it was the stretch between hole 5-6 that was difficult. I never realized that hole 5 may not be evenly centered. I had a vice grip the first evening, but it soon relaxed and scales became much easier. The first thing I noted was that low D (when fingered correctly) was loud. This is a different experience than my Clarke D. Volume was not much different than E. I find the Optima to be very forgiving. Low D is a little finicky on breath requirement, but as you move up its pretty forgiving. The has a nice bell tone to it with a bit of raspiness. The bell tone is not pure as there is some breathiness to it. I'm sure there are correct terms for all this :D. It is a very nice balance. I think this whistle shines in the second octave. Having a forgiving whistle, you can underblow and overblow to create a nice range of tones within the same note. I especially like the chiff when overblowing. In the right hands this could be used for a lot of expression. Around A on the second octave, the wind requirement picks up. The last two notes sound a little flat, but to be honest I think a lot of that is me. I don’t spend much time practicing there due to volume and I’m not in the habit of blowing hard enough. If you’ve seen Phil’s video https://youtu.be/lZHBCpU3BVs it is a pretty good representation of what it sounds like… except better playing.

After picking up the V4 it was immediately noticeable that it was easier to play. The fingering was bunched a little closer on holes 1-3 and hole 4 was more centered. This allows me to go between F# to D with greater ease. It’s easy to miss hole 4 when the spacing isn’t centered. Low D is easier to hit as well. The first octave is very balanced with breath requirement, and it isn’t until around G or A in the second octave that the wind requirement really picks up. There is more back pressure on this whistle and I haven’t got the knack for the upper end of the second octave yet. Overall the whistle is quieter than the Optima and gets a lot of play time because of it. The sound of this whistle is very smooth. I picked a few notes while listening to this https://youtu.be/PJnR3vsTkKs and it has that same smooth sound. I’m sure there are differences in sound, and I certainly can’t play this song but hopefully you get the idea.

All in all, I’m happy with both whistles. The build quality on both is very high. The Optima did not in any way look or feel like a toy (despite the cool fire engine red top). I think the Optima is the most versatile of the two, but the V4 is great for playing when you need lower volume or after that smooth tone. The V4 easier to play better in the hands of a beginner (at least my hands). Also I think this would be a great whistle for recording. I'm sure it can be used to play with others as you can get volume out of it, but there will be limits as to what instruments and how many. It probably won't cut through the mix with too many instruments unless mic'd. For me it will probably only be one other guitar, so I doubt it will be an issue. It will be interesting to see where my thoughts fall on both of these a time goes on, but I don’t see myself selling either any time soon. I hope that you find this comparison useful.
mickey66
Tell us something.: I am a Professional Musician in Phx, Az. Lived in Calif(Hollywood) for about 10 years(1970's) working in the studios and on the road with stars of the day. Started to follow my roots which took me back to the old country and the Irish Tin Whistle. I wound up here on C&F forum!

Re: Review: Optima vs V4

Post by mickey66 »

Good Review, Gym Kirk! :)
Hully
Tell us something.: Ive been 'playing' the High D whistle 18 months, want to try the Low D whistle, looking for tips. advice, guidance

Post by Hully »

What's the date stamp on the V4 Gym?

According to an old thread I found, when it was toured/reviewed on here a couple of years ago the V4 was panned for being too quiet, too breathy.

But this video seems to indicate these issues have been addressed:

https://youtu.be/2Nqr7TNKCW8
Gym Kirk
Tell us something.: I am interested in Irish music and learning the low whistle. I like how this is a very approachable forum with people of good temperament. I have had a high D whistle for some time and want to connect with others and get some advice on buying a low d

Post by Gym Kirk »

Hully wrote:What's the date stamp on the V4 Gym?

According to an old thread I found, when it was toured/reviewed on here a couple of years ago the V4 was panned for being too quiet, too breathy.

That is an interesting point. The date on the V4 is 1-18-17. My Optima is 3-7-17. When was the V4 tour? In the meantime I will listen to that video you linked and compare.
mickey66
Tell us something.: I am a Professional Musician in Phx, Az. Lived in Calif(Hollywood) for about 10 years(1970's) working in the studios and on the road with stars of the day. Started to follow my roots which took me back to the old country and the Irish Tin Whistle. I wound up here on C&F forum!

Post by mickey66 »

Gym Kirk wrote:
Hully wrote:What's the date stamp on the V4 Gym?

That is an interesting point. The date on the V4 is 1-18-17. My Optima is 3-7-17. When was the V4 tour? In the meantime I will listen to that video you linked and compare.
Gym Kirk,
If my memory is good? I think the V4 tour was 2014. I could be wrong tho.....
Hully
Tell us something.: Ive been 'playing' the High D whistle 18 months, want to try the Low D whistle, looking for tips. advice, guidance

Post by Hully »

Mr.Nate
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mr.Nate »

I was on that tour. I opted out of the Optima since I already owned one but I remember that the other whistle on tour was a new design that Phil was trying out. He called it the "Thunderbird low D" The video has been removed and the header on the thread says V4 but I distinctly remember the original video and the whistle.

It seems that Phil is constantly tweaking his designs but it is really hard to keep up with the by yearly changes. I would love to try them as they evolve but I can't afford to buy a new low D every time Phil comes out with a new model and posts a video.

No criticism of course to Phil since I know that he is always trying to perfect the craft and offer the best whistle available at a reasonable price.

Still he and his supporters are pretty heavy in the marketing department so it is hard to believe everything that you hear.
Whistling in the Rockies!!
Gym Kirk

Post by Gym Kirk »

Mr.Nate wrote:I was on that tour. I opted out of the Optima since I already owned one but I remember that the other whistle on tour was a new design that Phil was trying out. He called it the "Thunderbird low D" The video has been removed and the header on the thread says V4 but I distinctly remember the original video and the whistle.

It seems that Phil is constantly tweaking his designs but it is really hard to keep up with the by yearly changes. I would love to try them as they evolve but I can't afford to buy a new low D every time Phil comes out with a new model and posts a video.

No criticism of course to Phil since I know that he is always trying to perfect the craft and offer the best whistle available at a reasonable price.

Still he and his supporters are pretty heavy in the marketing department so it is hard to believe everything that you hear.
There's nothing wrong with good marketing. If it works he sells more. If he sells more that means cheaper whistles in the long run. I think it's pretty easy to sort out the marketing from fact. I appreciate his videos that explain the purpose behind the design. His YouTube channel is a great way for him to touch base with his supporters especially if he's prone to tweaking the design. I wish more manufacturers did this. It really helps you make an informed purchase. Ideally all the manufacturers would have their products at your local music store and you could just go down and try them out.
retired
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by retired »

The whistles on the tour were the Optima and the V4 - the Thunderbird was not part of the tour - Cheers.