Fixing cracked fipples

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
joeryan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Fixing cracked fipples

Post by joeryan »

Hello all - I have two Feadogs, a C and D, of which I'm fond. Both have developed hairline cracks in the fipple. Any advice on fixing? Tape? Glue? Chewing gum? Best, Joe
nicx66
Tell us something.: Hi, I have been playing whistle for 3 years. I made my first whistle 2 years ago and my first tin whistle last year in a tinsmithing class.

Re: Fixing cracked fipples

Post by nicx66 »

Is the crack vertical? along the socket? Water thin glue (for plastic, if available). Also they have hose clamps that you can tighten with a screwdriver, slightly bigger than those you would use for a fuel line. These can help keep tension (be careful not to apply too much)on the socket.
Kypfer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Kypfer »

joeryan wrote:Hello all - I have two Feadogs, a C and D, of which I'm fond. Both have developed hairline cracks in the fipple. Any advice on fixing? Tape? Glue? Chewing gum? Best, Joe
I've got two Clare whistle heads that have cracked where the tube fits into the head (socket?). In each instance I've successfully run a drop of "water-thin" cyanoacrylate adhesive (Super Glue) into the crack then IMMEDIATELY and very promptly whipped a binding of strong thread (braided fishing line) around the repair ... they won't split again at that point!
"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."
mickey66
Tell us something.: I am a Professional Musician in Phx, Az. Lived in Calif(Hollywood) for about 10 years(1970's) working in the studios and on the road with stars of the day. Started to follow my roots which took me back to the old country and the Irish Tin Whistle. I wound up here on C&F forum!

Post by mickey66 »

joeryan wrote:Hello all - I have two Feadogs, a C and D, of which I'm fond. Both have developed hairline cracks in the fipple. Any advice on fixing? Tape? Glue? Chewing gum? Best, Joe
All of my high whistles have been repaired...first, Buy some clear finger-nail polish,black(whatever color you like) sewing thread, Assuming the crack is in the collar and even if it isn't? You want to paint clear finger-nail polish all around said collar then,wrap sewing thread around said collar(while nail polish is wet). After that,paint thread with clear finger-nail polish(at least 2 coats). If, the crack runs from window to the collar? paint the crack with clear finger-nail polish all the way to the collar! You can prevent a crack by doing the same steps! I do this to all my Gens,Feadogs, oaks,etc. Hope this helps, Mickey