A couple of reels/ Sindt D

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ImNotIrish
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

A couple of reels/ Sindt D

Post by ImNotIrish »

Finally got a new audio interface for my computer. Here's an example.
https://soundcloud.com/arbo-2/your-man- ... 917-723-am

Arbo
PlanxtyPipes
Tell us something.: Flute, whistle, and (beginner) fiddle player! I live in the Charlotte, NC area and love Irish Traditional Music.

Re: A couple of reels/ Sindt D

Post by PlanxtyPipes »

Sounds great! Very nice playing and good quality recording.
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

Very nice! Especially the duality of whistle. Keep'em coming!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Not to derail, sorry, but where is the volume control on all these Soundcloud recordings people put out? Can't ever find one.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

Nanohedron wrote:Not to derail, sorry, but where is the volume control on all these Soundcloud recordings people put out? Can't ever find one.
It took me awhile to find it too. On my laptop monitor with Soundclound tracks the volume control "speaker" icon is at the bottom and two thirds across monitor to the right (if that makes sense). See if this does:
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthread ... ber=264430

A freeform snip from Arbo's file:
An Draighean

Post by An Draighean »

Sounds nice Arbo.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Thank you so much, ytliek!

A nice reel by the way, Arbo. :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

A nice reel by the way
The second one is sailing in and out of Peggy on the settle a bit, isn't it? Image

Seriously though, there's this often repeated John Kelly quote that says something along the lines of when I listen to a man playing a tune, I don't listen to the tune, I listen to what he does with it.

I am never too sure what purpose posting clips in this manner serves and how to respond to it. But without going into the minutiae of the OP's clip, listening to it makes me think about the reasons we play this music, what a player should bring to his/her material to breath life into it, what to do to make a tune sit comfortably on your instrument of choice and all that sort of stuff.

It's early in the day, I better leave it at that.
My brain hurts

Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Mr.Gumby wrote:Seriously though, there's this often repeated John Kelly quote that says something along the lines of when I listen to a man playing a tune, I don't listen to the tune, I listen to what he does with it.
I totally agree. In the end that's what this music is all about.

Equally valid to me, though, is that in aspiring to this music, not all have yet risen to the level of "owning" the tune. And while some will one day, some may never. But because they love this music so, I confess I do leave room for that. My comment for Arbo wasn't about his chops, but about the fact that up to now I didn't know the tune Your Man From Bundoran. Apologies if this was unclear. :)
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

up to now I didn't know the tune Your Man From Bundoran. Apologies if this was unclear.
I got that, but not which tune you meant. The man from Bundoran (not 'your') is, to me, an Altan classic from the 80s but I didn't know the other one, which is Peggy on the settle with a different turn. The rest of it, just me thinking out loud before eight on a saturday morning.
My brain hurts

Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

See, that's how much I didn't know the tune: I had to go by Arbo's recording for the title. :lol:

Altan, though - surely I must have heard it, then, but apparently it didn't stick because it didn't get played much if at all, hereabouts.