Suato low D moisture quirk

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
inthevale
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Have discovered the tin whistle recently, love it and find it a fascinating musical instrument. I do not read music. But feel like I can enjoy the tin whistle in spite of these limitations. I am looking forward to hearing what other, more experienced players have to say about the tin whistle and what it can do.

Suato low D moisture quirk

Post by inthevale »

I have had the the Susato Kildare low D whistle for a couple of months now. It has a slight "plastic" sound to my ears which I don't find as objectionable in a low whistle as in the higher keys.

But it seems to have one very troublesome quirk. It plays great for the first few minutes. But soon enough, even the slightest breath pressure sends the low D breaking up an octave until eventually, it will not sound D in the lower register whatsoever.

The problem seems to be moisture related. Blowing out the curved wind way, or even gently tapping out the moisture returns the whistle to normal. But after a few more minutes of playing, it's back where it started.

Is this a common problem with many whistles? Am I maybe doing something wrong? Aside from this particular bad habit, the whistle seems to play well.

Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Suato low D moisture quirk

Post by brewerpaul »

Yes, it's very common on many whistles. A cold whistle head plus moist warm breath produces condensation. Warming the mouthpiece before you play helps. You can also make an anti-clog solution with a couple of drops of Dawn dishwashing soap or similar, and a couple ounces of water. Dribble this into the windway, shake out the excess. This lasts quite a while and works very well.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Oddly I can't remember ever having clogging issues with Susatos.

Or any other whistles, in 40 years of playing, except for Overton whistles and their ilk.

Now that I play a Goldie regularly I had to learn about the dishwashing liquid method and the toothpaste method. No anti-clogging methods had been necessary with any other whistles I'd owned.

Seems to me it's an aspect of whistles that have extremely narrow straight metal windways. I'm surprised that a Susato would be that way.

But there are "wet blowers" and "dry blowers" which makes a big difference, as does your local temperature and humidity.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
puipui
Tell us something.: I am playing whistles since 3 years ago but still at a beginner level. I especially like the tone produced by whistles of key of Bb.

Post by puipui »

inthevale wrote:I have had the the Susato Kildare low D whistle for a couple of months now. -------------------

But it seems to have one very troublesome quirk. It plays great for the first few minutes. But soon enough, even the slightest breath pressure sends the low D breaking up an octave until eventually, it will not sound D in the lower register whatsoever.

The problem seems to be moisture related. Blowing out the curved wind way, or even gently tapping out the moisture returns the whistle to normal. But after a few more minutes of playing, it's back where it started.
-------------------
Your descriptions of the trouble look similar to mine in my previous post, although the model and the size are different.
viewtopic.php?p=1183868#p1183868
puipui wrote:I recently purchased a Susato Oriole Bb whistle and found it tends to clog after 3 to 4 minutes of playing. For a few years, I have been playing several whistles with either plastic or plastic/metal head having either straight or curved windway but did not experience such clogging before.
-------------------
I suspect that the problem in your whistle is hardware related as was the case of mine.
How about to send it to the Susato customer service asking to put it right?
inthevale
Tell us something.: Have discovered the tin whistle recently, love it and find it a fascinating musical instrument. I do not read music. But feel like I can enjoy the tin whistle in spite of these limitations. I am looking forward to hearing what other, more experienced players have to say about the tin whistle and what it can do.

Post by inthevale »

I suspect that the problem in your whistle is hardware related as was the case of mine.
How about to send it to the Susato customer service asking to put it right?
Maybe not a bad idea. Especially since this is one of their pricier items.

Thanks all for suggestions and I will give the soap treatment a try as well.
The Lurking Fear

Post by The Lurking Fear »

It's all very odd.Kelischek created the curved windway to lessen clogging problems.

I've played various bore sizes of Susatos since the late 70s and never had any clog problem with any of them,including the old oak fipple plug model,even playing outside in winter conditions.Never treated any of 'em with anything.

I think puipui may be right,something incorrect in the construction.