Whistle guide for dummies?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Gym Kirk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am interested in Irish music and learning the low whistle. I like how this is a very approachable forum with people of good temperament. I have had a high D whistle for some time and want to connect with others and get some advice on buying a low d

Whistle guide for dummies?

Post by Gym Kirk »

So when I was shopping for my whistle I knew I wanted a Low D, but I have to admit I was confused about some of the terminology of the others. They were labeled mezzo, alto, soprano, and don't forget High D. So it got me thinking. Where these fall in relation to middle c? Also how many octaves separate a Low and high whistle? Is D they highest key made (excluding obscure whistles)? There has to be a beginners guide somewhere. I know I could answer some of these questions if I had my whistle, but it's taking a vacation @ US customs. :waah: I guess I'm stuck with you guys to entertain me. :D
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Whistle guide for dummies?

Post by s1m0n »

Generation makes mass market whistles in Eb, F, and G above soprano D, and no doubt some craftsmen makers will have similar or slightly different models. High G is really shrill and the holes are really close together, so if you're an adult you'll find it difficult. I don't speak piano so I might have this wrong, but my impression is that the lowest note on a high D whistle is a ninth above middle C (a whole tone plus an octave), and that a low whistle in D is a whole tone above middle C. I'd use high D and soprano D interchangeably. You see terms like mezzo or alto used for keys like A & G, where you can have a whistle that's only a few notes lower than a standard C or D whistle. I don't think there's an official definition.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Gym Kirk
Tell us something.: I am interested in Irish music and learning the low whistle. I like how this is a very approachable forum with people of good temperament. I have had a high D whistle for some time and want to connect with others and get some advice on buying a low d

Post by Gym Kirk »

That clears things up. Thanks!
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

As a further point, I'll say that conventional whistle notation renders the notes an octave lower than they'd actually appear on a piano keyboard or 'grand staff' notation. It's easier to read that way.

It'd be accurate for a low whistle, but all the conventions for notating whistle music were created before the invention of low whistles. To be exquisitely accurate it should have the 'octavo' symbol applied above the staff, but no one does that.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
mickey66
Tell us something.: I am a Professional Musician in Phx, Az. Lived in Calif(Hollywood) for about 10 years(1970's) working in the studios and on the road with stars of the day. Started to follow my roots which took me back to the old country and the Irish Tin Whistle. I wound up here on C&F forum!

Post by mickey66 »

Gym Kirk wrote:So when I was shopping for my whistle I knew I wanted a Low D, but I have to admit I was confused about some of the terminology of the others. They were labeled mezzo, alto, soprano, and don't forget High D. So it got me thinking. Where these fall in relation to middle c? Also how many octaves separate a Low and high whistle? Is D they highest key made (excluding obscure whistles)? There has to be a beginners guide somewhere. I know I could answer some of these questions if I had my whistle, but it's taking a vacation @ US customs. :waah: I guess I'm stuck with you guys to entertain me. :D
:lol: They make some high whistles that will drive dogs crazy 100's of yards away from you! Bigly fun times doing that to dogs!