It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 12:23 pm 

BTW, to see what's possible, you might pull up http://www.geocities.ws/parkhurstwhistles/whistles.htm. It's an old site but it seems to work for me.

It's not voodoo, you just have to be patient and have about 20' of copper kitchen pipe to destroy.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:22 pm 

David Parkhurst wrote:
I've worked with copper a bit :D . It's fairly soft, easy to turn on a machine lathe as long as your tools are sharp.

David Parkhurst

Sharp tools is worth repeating for any material on a lathe.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:02 pm 

AngelicBeaver wrote:
Does anyone have experience with copper whistles? For the longest time, I've thought a copper whistle in the style of a Chieftain V3 would be pretty sweet looking, although a copper low D would be pretty heavy.

How would copper work as something you put your mouth on or handle frequently? Would it require a coating of some sort? Ideally, a bright copper finish or a green patina would be used, or perhaps a combination of both.

Besides the weight, I'd be concerned about corrosion on the inside or what might happen with frequent skin contact, like blackened lips or fingers.

I have made a number of copper penny whistles.
I use nylon rod for the fipple block
I have a number of photos of the build process however cant work out how to upload photo to this site yet.
I have had some success in decorating my whistles via etching the copper with HCl and Hydrogen peroxide solution. I transfer designs onto the copper by firs printing the design on my laser printer and then using a very hot household iron to fuse the laser printer "ink" onto the copper. I submerge the copper into the HCl peroxide mix for a number of hours.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 2:50 am 

AngelicBeaver wrote:
Does anyone have experience with copper whistles? For the longest time, I've thought a copper whistle in the style of a Chieftain V3 would be pretty sweet looking, although a copper low D would be pretty heavy.

How would copper work as something you put your mouth on or handle frequently? Would it require a coating of some sort? Ideally, a bright copper finish or a green patina would be used, or perhaps a combination of both.

Besides the weight, I'd be concerned about corrosion on the inside or what might happen with frequent skin contact, like blackened lips or fingers.

I have added a few photos here
https://au.pinterest.com/davidmcclee030 ... le-design/

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 3:18 am 

Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

For posting images, David, try clicking "Quote" on this post of mine and have a look at what I did. Essentially, there are three steps - put the images on a hosting site (you've done that), make them publicly available (you've done that) and then get the picture up on the site and paste the URL of the image file within the tags here.

So actually, you were only one very small step short of posting the images yourself. :)

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 5:14 am 

benhall.1 wrote:

For posting images, David, try clicking "Quote" on this post of mine and have a look at what I did. Essentially, there are three steps - put the images on a hosting site (you've done that), make them publicly available (you've done that) and then get the picture up on the site and paste the URL of the image file within the tags here.

So actually, you were only one very small step short of posting the images yourself. :)

Thanks for the advice :thumbsup: