Copper as a whistle making material

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
David Parkhurst
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Copper as a whistle making material

Post by David Parkhurst »

BTW, to see what's possible, you might pull up http://www.geocities.ws/parkhurstwhistles/whistles.htm. It's an old site but it seems to work for me.

It's not voodoo, you just have to be patient and have about 20' of copper kitchen pipe to destroy.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

David Parkhurst wrote:I've worked with copper a bit :D . It's fairly soft, easy to turn on a machine lathe as long as your tools are sharp.

David Parkhurst
Sharp tools is worth repeating for any material on a lathe.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
WalkDMC
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have recently taken up penny whistle manufacturing. Commenced with PVC now using copper.
I have explored acid etching of the copper and am now testing various electroplating methods.

Post by WalkDMC »

AngelicBeaver wrote:Does anyone have experience with copper whistles? For the longest time, I've thought a copper whistle in the style of a Chieftain V3 would be pretty sweet looking, although a copper low D would be pretty heavy.

How would copper work as something you put your mouth on or handle frequently? Would it require a coating of some sort? Ideally, a bright copper finish or a green patina would be used, or perhaps a combination of both.

Besides the weight, I'd be concerned about corrosion on the inside or what might happen with frequent skin contact, like blackened lips or fingers.
I have made a number of copper penny whistles.
I use nylon rod for the fipple block
I have a number of photos of the build process however cant work out how to upload photo to this site yet.
I have had some success in decorating my whistles via etching the copper with HCl and Hydrogen peroxide solution. I transfer designs onto the copper by firs printing the design on my laser printer and then using a very hot household iron to fuse the laser printer "ink" onto the copper. I submerge the copper into the HCl peroxide mix for a number of hours.
WalkDMC
Tell us something.: I have recently taken up penny whistle manufacturing. Commenced with PVC now using copper.
I have explored acid etching of the copper and am now testing various electroplating methods.

Post by WalkDMC »

AngelicBeaver wrote:Does anyone have experience with copper whistles? For the longest time, I've thought a copper whistle in the style of a Chieftain V3 would be pretty sweet looking, although a copper low D would be pretty heavy.

How would copper work as something you put your mouth on or handle frequently? Would it require a coating of some sort? Ideally, a bright copper finish or a green patina would be used, or perhaps a combination of both.

Besides the weight, I'd be concerned about corrosion on the inside or what might happen with frequent skin contact, like blackened lips or fingers.
I have added a few photos here
https://au.pinterest.com/davidmcclee030 ... le-design/
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

For posting images, David, try clicking "Quote" on this post of mine and have a look at what I did. Essentially, there are three steps - put the images on a hosting site (you've done that), make them publicly available (you've done that) and then get the picture up on the site and paste the URL of the image file within the tags here.

So actually, you were only one very small step short of posting the images yourself. :)
WalkDMC

Post by WalkDMC »

benhall.1 wrote:Image

For posting images, David, try clicking "Quote" on this post of mine and have a look at what I did. Essentially, there are three steps - put the images on a hosting site (you've done that), make them publicly available (you've done that) and then get the picture up on the site and paste the URL of the image file within the tags here.

So actually, you were only one very small step short of posting the images yourself. :)
Thanks for the advice :thumbsup:
Mashico1
Tell us something.: I'm a whistle player and musician. I'm avid whistle and recorder players for more 10 years. Also, I'm a musician formerly with the Berkeley Symphony as violinist and the New Millennium Chamber Orchestra as the Principal Violist.

Post by Mashico1 »

[Thread revival. - Mod]

In 2013 or 2014, I bought a copper high D whistle from a guy in Canada who was make whistle part time. Saw the Ad on Ebay and bought one for $60.

When I received it, I felt it was worth more than $200. The workmanship was very good and the sound superb!!! Very clear and no dull note.

The copper has multi-shades and it has a lacquer. Up to now I still have it and consider it as a prize possession. I tried to contact seller 2 years ago but he never responded.

As far as the sound, very nice and the weight is a little heavy but it's all worth it!!!

It also depends on the maker.

I'm very happy!!! :pint:
Tyler DelGregg
Tell us something.: Whistles are fun, whistles are charming, whistles sound nice, whistles are affordable, whistles make us smile, whistles make dogs bark, and whistles upset some neighbors.

Post by Tyler DelGregg »

I wish you could post a picture of your copper whistle. Really curious what it looks like.
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

Mashico1 wrote:[Thread revival. - Mod]In 2013 or 2014, I bought a copper high D whistle from a guy in Canada who was make whistle part time. Saw the Ad on Ebay and bought one for $60.
I remember Airgead Realta from Alaska offering copper whistles.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=91601&p=1099004#p1099004
Adrian W.

Post by Adrian W. »

Mashico1 wrote:[Thread revival. - Mod]
Mashico1 wrote:In 2013 or 2014, I bought a copper high D whistle from a guy in Canada who was make whistle part time. Saw the Ad on Ebay and bought one for $60.
That sounds like David O'Brien.
In Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

Adrian W. wrote:
Mashico1 wrote:[Thread revival. - Mod]
Mashico1 wrote:In 2013 or 2014, I bought a copper high D whistle from a guy in Canada who was make whistle part time. Saw the Ad on Ebay and bought one for $60.
That sounds like David O'Brien.
Not to me... it is not David. The thread above I referred to is by Curtis Dashner in Alaska.
Aaronhall1980
Tell us something.: I make copper whistles and flutes. Here for tweaking and improvement advice. I would like the community to try my whistles.

Post by Aaronhall1980 »

I just finished a low D whistle. Sounds good. Copper is great and I sand with 1500 wet sanding paper so automotive clear will stick (I tried mirror buff but clear wont stick but brass lacquer will but expensive and wont ship to Alaska). If anyone wants one let me know. I can make D4 or D5(A 440Hz). I am willing to tour one of the low D to get advice on improvement. Cool thing about copper is I can also etch ANY design you want with acid!https://aaronhall1980.tumblr.com/post/1 ... er-whistle
JohnPB
Tell us something.: I have, at the age of 65, taken up the flute and I am hooked. I now have a number of wooden flutes and I am gradually getting better at playing. Irish music interests me in particular.

Post by JohnPB »

Aaronhall1980 wrote:I just finished a low D whistle. Sounds good. Copper is great and I sand with 1500 wet sanding paper so automotive clear will stick (I tried mirror buff but clear wont stick but brass lacquer will but expensive and wont ship to Alaska). If anyone wants one let me know. I can make D4 or D5(A 440Hz). I am willing to tour one of the low D to get advice on improvement. Cool thing about copper is I can also etch ANY design you want with acid!https://aaronhall1980.tumblr.com/post/1 ... er-whistle
I read with interest. I have also been really surprised how clear a note you get using copper.
I wanted to make a modular whistle that I could adjust/modify over time ... I just wanted a single whistle that I could modify at will to test fipple dynamics and hole configurations. I decided to use simple copper tube and did not regret it. It works well and has a really nice weight and clarity.
I finish with fine wire wool and clear car lacquer.
David Parkhurst

Post by David Parkhurst »

It works well, trust me. I made and sold many copper whistles in keys from C to G. You can deform the top end of the body by placing a metal dowel inside and pounding on it to expand it, then use a female-female copper joiner to create a tuning slide to join to the head. Helps to have a lathe, although copper doesn't turn as well as silver or brass. You'll need to decide whether you want to try making a flush fipple blade, or a flattened or rounded (Copeland style) depressed blade (which requires a mandrel press and a willingness to make your own dies). Don't bother with coating/painting it, it's going to get a patina no matter what and it will look very "old school". Get some 1/2" copper plumbing from your local hardware store and go for it. I used hardwood, Delrin and a very hard 3M modeling foam for fipples, all with reasonably good results. Feel free to PM me if you have questions, I don't have any secrets I hoarde.
Cheers,
David Parkhurst
Mack.Hoover

Post by Mack.Hoover »

Copper pipe makes fine whistles. If you know a plumber you can probably beg some salvaged pipe.
It can be buffed to a mirror finish and kept shiny with metal polish. Try Nevr Dull.
Mack