Introduction and questions from a beginner

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Konall
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I love Celtic music, especially Welsh and Irish music, because I found a nice band that made me fall in love with. Traditions are also so great!!

Introduction and questions from a beginner

Post by Konall »

Hello, everyone! I'm a young French who loves Celtic music and I got a tin whistle D (Waltons). The problem is that I have no idea of how to start... I have a very little budget so it's quite difficult. Would you have some recommendations for me to get started with this instrument??
Do I need a teacher? books? websites?
thank you very much :)
Korwen

Re: Introduction and questions from a beginner

Post by Korwen »

Greetings! I started on a Walton as well and quite liked it!

As far as getting started, if you can find a teacher locally that would be best, in all the instruments I've played private instruction has always been worth it.

But if that isn't in the cards, you could do worse then jumping on Youtube and searching for some beginner videos. There is a multitude of beginner lessons posted online that should be enough to get you started!

Also, books! I picked up the Mel Bay guide to whistles and flutes, and don't regret it a bit.

Hope this helps, good luck and keep us posted!
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

There are lots of options....

Lessons in person or via skype are probably the best to get started but if that's not possible,

as far as books go, there have been good reviews of Mary Bergin's series

check Brother Steve's tutorial on-line at http://www.rogermillington.com/siamsa/brosteve/ There are many other possibilities via You-tube. Others recommend the On-line Academy of Irish Music at www.oaim.ie/instrument/1/tin_whistle

A Google search should turn up lots of other options.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
awildman

Post by awildman »

Get a teacher if at all possible. Skype lessons if necessary. Books only if all else fails. Get to sessions and festivals and find a playing partner. Dance to the music at ceilis etc. Once you know what to practice, practice every single day for at least a few minutes. Whistle might be simple instrument, but it is a real instrument and needs attention and focus just like difficult instruments.

Just be careful. Once you start the whistle, flute is inevitable. Then, next thing you know, BAM! You've become a piper.
mickey66
Tell us something.: I am a Professional Musician in Phx, Az. Lived in Calif(Hollywood) for about 10 years(1970's) working in the studios and on the road with stars of the day. Started to follow my roots which took me back to the old country and the Irish Tin Whistle. I wound up here on C&F forum!

Post by mickey66 »

Hi!
If all else fails there is always Youtube for lessons! :)
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

mickey66 wrote:Hi!
If what you want is to seriously pursue authentic Trad techniques and playing styles, I'd only recommend YouTube for picking up tunes, but not for how to play them or how to learn to play your instrument. I've seen some stuff out there that's completely inauthentic but is labelled "Irish" or "Celtic" or whatever, so beware. There's a big difference between playing Trad and playing at it. Now, I'm sure there must be good sources to follow, but unless you know how to separate the wheat from the chaff, using YouTube in place of a teacher is a gamble at best. Can't recommend it, myself. Of course, if all you're interested in is pursuing a personal style that you think sounds as if it has a Trad-ish flavor, then my above cautions don't apply. You're good to go, I guess, but I would say you're missing out. :)

I agree that having a good teacher is best. It will save the beginner from a lot of wasted time and bad habits. I should know.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
nicx66
Tell us something.: Hi, I have been playing whistle for 3 years. I made my first whistle 2 years ago and my first tin whistle last year in a tinsmithing class.

Post by nicx66 »

Nanohedron wrote:
mickey66 wrote:Hi!
If what you want is to seriously pursue authentic Trad techniques and playing styles, I'd only recommend YouTube for picking up tunes, but not for how to play them or how to learn to play your instrument. I've seen some stuff out there that's completely inauthentic but is labelled "Irish" or "Celtic" or whatever, so beware. There's a big difference between playing Trad and playing at it. Now, I'm sure there must be good sources to follow, but unless you know how to separate the wheat from the chaff, using YouTube in place of a teacher is a gamble at best. Can't recommend it, myself. Of course, if all you're interested in is pursuing a personal style that you think sounds as if it has a Trad-ish flavor, then my above cautions don't apply. You're good to go, I guess, but I would say you're missing out. :)

I agree that having a good teacher is best. It will save the beginner from a lot of wasted time and bad habits. I should know.
This is so true. I learned my cuts, taps, and rolls from youtube tutorials and the instructor stated that "cuts are made exclusively with the first or third finger". I took this at face value until a teacher debunked this practice, as it becomes especially problematic in the second octave. Un-learning this has been a challenge. I can think of at least two other examples of bad habits learned via youtube.