Need help deciding

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Gym Kirk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am interested in Irish music and learning the low whistle. I like how this is a very approachable forum with people of good temperament. I have had a high D whistle for some time and want to connect with others and get some advice on buying a low d

Need help deciding

Post by Gym Kirk »

Hi. I'm new to the forum. I'm wanting to learn the low D whistle. A few years back I bought two high d whistles because I read it was better to start there. I got a Clarke and a Generation, and much preferred the Clarke. After playing it for a while I realized that it is the low d I want to play and now I have the funds to get one. I live in the US and it seems harder to find these. I can't find them locally to listen to, so I will have to purchase online. I found a Dixon abs for $100 USD and an MK Kelpie for $160. Both seem priced well. All of the other whistles people recommended I can't find for under $200 USD. I don't know if this matters, but I'm going to primarily be playing by myself. The Kelpie looks like a much nicer whistle, but I know that sound is most important. Can someone give me some feedback between the two from a beginners prospective? If you have another recommendation please add where I would go to purchase in the US. Thanks!
Hooleh
Tell us something.: A whistler and a beginner Uilleann piper from Scandinavia. Maybe some day a piper during this life time.

Re: Need help deciding

Post by Hooleh »

My first low D was the MK Kelpie and I can very much recommend it. Nice tone, robust touch, distinctive holes (by this I mean that you can feel them well under your fingertips), sturdy backpressure (if one can say it so). It's a nice whistle, but it's not very 'airy', given that you're preference has been with the Clarke high whistle which I believe takes rather much breath. At least the 'original' model. For similar feel I would prerhaps approach Shaw or Alba.

I have no experience with Dixon low whistles, and I'm sure they're a decent choice, too. For a beginner I'd say either is very fine and these are very much questions of personal preference. However, myself I would imagine that with the Kelpie you'll maybe be content for a longer period of time before wanting to or feeling the need to reach for a new whistle, and were I back in time getting a first low whistle, of those two I'd pick the MK Kelpie again.
Gym Kirk
Tell us something.: I am interested in Irish music and learning the low whistle. I like how this is a very approachable forum with people of good temperament. I have had a high D whistle for some time and want to connect with others and get some advice on buying a low d

Post by Gym Kirk »

Hooleh wrote:My first low D was the MK Kelpie and I can very much recommend it. Nice tone, robust touch, distinctive holes (by this I mean that you can feel them well under your fingertips), sturdy backpressure (if one can say it so). It's a nice whistle, but it's not very 'airy', given that you're preference has been with the Clarke high whistle which I believe takes rather much breath. At least the 'original' model. For similar feel I would prerhaps approach Shaw or Alba.

I have no experience with Dixon low whistles, and I'm sure they're a decent choice, too. For a beginner I'd say either is very fine and these are very much questions of personal preference. However, myself I would imagine that with the Kelpie you'll maybe be content for a longer period of time before wanting to or feeling the need to reach for a new whistle, and were I back in time getting a first low whistle, of those two I'd pick the MK Kelpie again.
Thanks for the response! I have been listening to some YouTube videos of the MK and really like the tone. It seems to have more of an 'airy' sound in the lower register and clears up somewhat in the higher notes. I like that. Maybe that was partly how it was played, but after hearing some less advanced players use it without effects I was still liking that tone! My biggest gripe about the generation was a couple of notes were not in tune. I couldn't get used to that. It's been a long time since I've played it, and I don't remember much else. I'm pretty sure I tossed it. I really like the build quality of the MK and I'm inclined to agree that I would be happy with it for a long time. The only question I have now is where is the best place to order it in the U.S.? I was set to buy it straight from MK, but $22 for shipping and 20 days to get here... I would hate to have to wait three weeks!
whistlecollector

Post by whistlecollector »

Gym Kirk wrote:Hi. I'm new to the forum. I'm wanting to learn the low D whistle. A few years back I bought two high d whistles because I read it was better to start there. I got a Clarke and a Generation, and much preferred the Clarke. After playing it for a while I realized that it is the low d I want to play and now I have the funds to get one. I live in the US and it seems harder to find these. I can't find them locally to listen to, so I will have to purchase online. I found a Dixon abs for $100 USD and an MK Kelpie for $160. Both seem priced well. All of the other whistles people recommended I can't find for under $200 USD. I don't know if this matters, but I'm going to primarily be playing by myself. The Kelpie looks like a much nicer whistle, but I know that sound is most important. Can someone give me some feedback between the two from a beginners prospective? If you have another recommendation please add where I would go to purchase in the US. Thanks!
One question I'd ask is what drew you to the sound of the Clarke vs Generation?, as they are two quite different instruments.

Generation is cylindrical and the tone tends to be "pure"; the Clarke is (reverse) conical / tapered and the tone tends to be breathier and chiffier.

If that's what you like for sound, then perhaps you might consider a low whistle constructed in similar fashion, like a Shaw for example. Dixon makes a reverse conical / tapered bore whistle, but I think the MK are cylindrical. I had an MK whistle, a low D, and it was certainly very nice, but soundwise nowhere close to chiffy breathiness of the Shaw or Clarke.

Shaw makes whistles of pressed metal and are constructed in very much the same fashion as the Clarke.
-- A tin whistle a day keeps the racketts at bay.

-- WhOAD Survivor No. 11373
Gym Kirk

Post by Gym Kirk »

whistlecollector wrote:
One question I'd ask is what drew you to the sound of the Clarke vs Generation?, as they are two quite different instruments.

Generation is cylindrical and the tone tends to be "pure"; the Clarke is (reverse) conical / tapered and the tone tends to be breathier and chiffier.

If that's what you like for sound, then perhaps you might consider a low whistle constructed in similar fashion, like a Shaw for example. Dixon makes a reverse conical / tapered bore whistle, but I think the MK are cylindrical. I had an MK whistle, a low D, and it was certainly very nice, but soundwise nowhere close to chiffy breathiness of the Shaw or Clarke.

Shaw makes whistles of pressed metal and are constructed in very much the same fashion as the Clarke.
What drew me to the Clarke and Generation was just chance. I picked two that looked good and had never heard either. After listening to a lot of YouTube videos I think the Shaw is more breathy than I care for. I like a certain amount of that 'airy' quality, but not too much. I'm starting to see why many of you have more than one whistle. In the process of listening to a bunch of stuff, I discovered the Kerry Optima which I really like the sound of. It's cheaper and tunable. I'm not sure how important the tunable part is. I also see that the instrument is different sounding when mixed with others vs playing solo. Or at least the qualities you might be after differ. Anyhow I clearly need to listen to more options to be sure. So far it's between the Optima and Kelpie. I think I would be happy with either, but if anyone has any other suggestions, I would be happy to look into them. Thanks again.
Chifmunk
Tell us something.: Hi, I play 5-string banjo, mountain dulcimer, bones, and am now a beginner pennywhistler. I have some Dixon, Freeman, and Susato whistles. This is obviously the most extensive forum for information in whistle learning- thanks!
I also run a banjo/mando/fiddle shirt site at https://harmonias.com/
and a mountain dulcimer social site at: fotmd.com

Post by Chifmunk »

You've heard some Kelpie low Ds on youtube, there are also some ABS low D Dixon videos, like this one for instance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20QZS9L5WeA
I have a Dixon ABS polymer low A whistle and a Bb...and both have wonderful rich tone and not too hard to play.
There is a diff in tone between low plastic/polymer whistles and low metal whistles, so do watch a bunch of YT vids to compare- not as ideal as hearing or trying them in person, but it's very helpful to get in the ballpark.

I have a low G Shaw nickel/silver whislte, and though it has a beautiful tone, it requires a whole lot of air push. it sounds like you may have trouble with that for now- I know that as a beginner I have problems with air push and breath control, but since my Shaw G has a pretty tone I'm keeping mine to see if perhaps later on it becomes easier for me to play, as I (hopefully) continue to progress in my abilities.
Having FUN playin' my whistles!
http://pennywhistleclub.com/
...a new social network just for whistlers
mickey66
Tell us something.: I am a Professional Musician in Phx, Az. Lived in Calif(Hollywood) for about 10 years(1970's) working in the studios and on the road with stars of the day. Started to follow my roots which took me back to the old country and the Irish Tin Whistle. I wound up here on C&F forum!

Post by mickey66 »

Hi,
The Kerry Optima Low D Whistle is the best bang for your buck period! This month only for the Optima Fixed Low D Whistle is 49 pounds til the end of March! That's about $62 usd 14 pounds shipping(about $17.00 usd) from the UK. Paypal transfer fee $3 usd so, about $80usd shipped or 63 pounds shipped in UK. Easy blower/player, great Overton/Goldie/Kerry sound, built like a tank but lite weight! Various colored ABS head-joint, tuning spot on out of the box! I can't say enough good things about this whistle for a beginner! Contact Phil Hardy @ http://www.kerrywhistles.com/home PS: Sale on Optima Low D Fixed(non-tunable)49 pounds ends at the end of March. Tuneable Low D whistle(optima)85 pounds...will be about $126 usd shipped to USA. Great Whistle at a Great Price...5 stars! Vids.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caMqEOT9rTY Video #2. Red Top Optima Tuneable.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZHBCpU3BVs Enjoy the whistle journey! PS.PS: This is JMHO, ok! You really don't need a tuneable whistle at this stage of the game so to speak, you will be playing by yourself, yes/no? So why spend the extra bucks for a tuneable whistle? Just a thought? Did I do that.....no! I bought the Kerry Optima tuneable Low D! I liked it so much! I bought the Optima Fixed Low D because of the sale ending! Needless to say...... I'm a fan of the Kerry Optima
Low D AND Low F whistles! One last bit of info....Optima Low D takes much less air to play than Dixon Low D's I have owned them and sold them off. I prefer metal whistles to plastic tubes. Again, JMHO If, you like that haunting "Cosmic Drain Pipe" sound? Buy the Kerry Optima Low D either fixed or Tuneable.....you will be a happy player! :D Or as I call the sound....The Loon Lake sound. Vid of the haunting call of the Loon enjoy...... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ENNzjy8QjU The Kerry Optima Low D In The Recording Studio...... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26Mtwl8N8IQ
Last edited by mickey66 on Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
Gym Kirk

Post by Gym Kirk »

Thank you all for your help! You brought up some good considerations that I hadn't thought of. Ultimately I decided on the Chieftain V4. Phil has a 10 min video where he explains his design idea behind it with plenty of playing. I loved the sound and the idea behind its design. I play a lot when the family is asleep and so having a quieter whistle like that will mean I can use it more frequently. I still really like the sound of the MK and it may be my treat one year if I stick with the low whistle and get good at it. Its loud throaty sound would be good to cut through other instruments. Now I have to hurry up and wait. I'm sure U.K. to the U.S. will take a while.

Scott
mickey66
Tell us something.: I am a Professional Musician in Phx, Az. Lived in Calif(Hollywood) for about 10 years(1970's) working in the studios and on the road with stars of the day. Started to follow my roots which took me back to the old country and the Irish Tin Whistle. I wound up here on C&F forum!

Post by mickey66 »

Scott,
The shipping time is about 2 weeks to the USA. The V4 is a quiet whistle with a lovely sound. I have never played one so I don't know how much air it will take? Have a Blast with you're new whistle! Also, email customer service at Kerrywhistles and request a tracking number! Good Luck! and CONGRATS! :D The V4 and this is JMHO is a good whistle for playing at home and in a Recording Studio! Same for the Kerry Optima Line of Whistles. Optima is not a loud whistle either! Louder than the V4 tho..... :wink:
Last edited by mickey66 on Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ggunner

Post by ggunner »

[quote="mickey66"]Scott,
The shipping time is about 2 weeks to the USA. The v4 is a quiet whistle with a lovely sound. I have never played one so I don't know how much air it will take? Have a Blast with you're new whistle! Also, email customer service at Kerry and request a tracking number! Good Luck! and CONGRATS! :D The V4 and this is JMHO is a good whistle for playing at home and in a Recording Studio! Same for the Kerry Optima Line of Whistles. Optima is not a loud whistle either! Louder than the V4 tho..... :wink:[/quote]

Just one caution on shipping time. While it may take two weeks to get the US, it can sometimes take another four to six weeks while US customs loses it or ships it all over the place before finally delivering it to you.

I ordered a high "D" whistle from the UK. I was able to track it so I followed its journey.

I live about 45 miles southwest of Detroit, Michigan. The whistle arrived in the United States within 3-5 days. Then it sat in New York Customs for nearly 4 weeks without movement. It then went to Chicago for over a week before being shipped to Auburn Hills (a Suburb of Detroit). From there it went back to Chicago. It finally arrived at my home approximately 6-8 weeks after it was shipped. So there you have it. It took 3-5 days to get from the UK to New York. And then it took another 7 weeks or so for the USPS to get it delivered from New York to my home.

So the caution is to take the delivery time as a best case scenario. It could actually take 3 to 4 times as long due to inefficiencies in the USPS. I ended up requesting the post office to trace the shipment and was preparing to file a claim for the insurance since the USPS had no idea where it was and why it was being delayed.

I also ordered an OZ whistle from Australia. It was delivered within two weeks. So go figure. UK to my home nearly 8 weeks. Australia to my home only two weeks. Both whistles were in the United States in under a week. The delay of the first was all on the USPS.
Chifmunk
Tell us something.: Hi, I play 5-string banjo, mountain dulcimer, bones, and am now a beginner pennywhistler. I have some Dixon, Freeman, and Susato whistles. This is obviously the most extensive forum for information in whistle learning- thanks!
I also run a banjo/mando/fiddle shirt site at https://harmonias.com/
and a mountain dulcimer social site at: fotmd.com

Post by Chifmunk »

Nine days ago a whistle I ordered from New Zealand got shipped out to New York. Tracking shows it flew from NZ to Australia, then a 'delivery' attempt was made (and failed of course, since the continent was wrong)...then it went back to the post office in Australia and was flown back to NZ. Then two days ago it went on a another plane and landed in Los Angeles today. I hope it will get to me on the east coast in two or three more days. Unless of course it gets stuck in Customs at this point in California..?
Kooky stuff. :boggle:
Having FUN playin' my whistles!
http://pennywhistleclub.com/
...a new social network just for whistlers
mickey66

Post by mickey66 »

I just ordered a whistle from Phil Hardy/Kerrywhistles and it's in Los Angeles,ca took one day from the UK. The rest of the two weeks will be getting through customs and to my post office here in Phoenix,Az. Soooo, one day across the pond and 13 days or so to go from LA,ca to Phx,Az :really: PS: usps priority mail from LA,ca to Phx,Az is 3 days! Slower Trucks for International Mail? :-?
Gym Kirk

Post by Gym Kirk »

Oh man I hope it doesn't take that long! Maybe mine is on the same plane as a bunch of iPhones. I got my iPhone in two days from China. It was crazy watching the tracking on that thing. I can't even send anything in the US that fast.
mickey66

Post by mickey66 »

Makes one wonder.....
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

It would be cool to hear your impressions when your Chieftain V4 arrives and you're able to put in some playing time on it.

I've played various Chieftains over the years but not their newer designs.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle