Keys other than high D for playing by myself?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Pfreddee
antispam: No

Keys other than high D for playing by myself?

Post by Pfreddee »

I'm thinking about buying a lower-pitched whistle for playing by myself. I have a Clarke C which is what I started whistle with, and I really like the lower pitch; it's more soothing than the D model. I have been playing a D whistle for years, on the off-chance that I'll find a session that's convenient to attend. I think that's a forlorn hope for now.

So, what would some of you recommend for a lower-pitched whistle, as well as some makers of the same? I like less-expensive, and especially since I'm not sure which pitch I will like best. I can pick up Generations in lower pitches inexpensively. What are some others? I could go as high as $80-100 for one.

Thank you to all who reply.

With best regards.

Pfreddee(Stephen)
jiminos
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Keys other than high D for playing by myself?

Post by jiminos »

I really like Bb. I have a couple Gen's from mid-80's. Just wonderful.

I also love C. I have a few. My favorite is a Feadog my wife picked up during a trip to Scotland. I have O'Brien... A Park... A Susato... And a very early Impempe.... All joys to play....

My advice... Either key is good... Start cheap and work your way up..... Or....

Play the C you love, don't change a thing.... And have a lot of fun.
Jim

the truth is not lost.
do not search for it.
accept it.
whistlecollector
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by whistlecollector »

Pfreddee wrote:So, what would some of you recommend for a lower-pitched whistle, as well as some makers of the same? I like less-expensive, and especially since I'm not sure which pitch I will like best. I can pick up Generations in lower pitches inexpensively. What are some others? I could go as high as $80-100 for one.
I agree with jiminos --- try a few and see what you like.

A little out of the way for many perhaps, but my favorite mid-tonality whistle is an ancient Barnet & Samuelson in G. It's one of the old cylindrical brass jobbies with safety-treated lead block. Sweet sounding and mellow.

Can be found fairly inexpensively from time to time on Ebay.

I've also a nice Perri in C (aptly named "The Old Orange Flute") that sounds nice. And an odd whistle or two in A. I like whistles in D & G best, though.

Hope you find a goody!
-- A tin whistle a day keeps the racketts at bay.

-- WhOAD Survivor No. 11373
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

I like A, which can also play in D giving a different timbre to your tunes, or G, which can also play in C. Both are enough larger to give you a very different sound without the stretch of a low D.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Chifmunk
Tell us something.: Hi, I play 5-string banjo, mountain dulcimer, bones, and am now a beginner pennywhistler. I have some Dixon, Freeman, and Susato whistles. This is obviously the most extensive forum for information in whistle learning- thanks!
I also run a banjo/mando/fiddle shirt site at https://harmonias.com/
and a mountain dulcimer social site at: fotmd.com

Post by Chifmunk »

When I want a whole different experience than my high D whistles, I most often reach for my Dixon black polymer tunable whistle in Bb these days. Very rich and full resonant tone, velvety. It's perfect for playing some of the more somber medieval tunes I'm having fun with.
Here's a video of someone (not me) playing one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7JW0R9JlwM
It's less than $70:
https://www.amazon.com/Dixon-Alto-Bb-Tu ... _1_fkmr1_2
Having FUN playin' my whistles!
http://pennywhistleclub.com/
...a new social network just for whistlers
Tyler DelGregg
Tell us something.: Whistles are fun, whistles are charming, whistles sound nice, whistles are affordable, whistles make us smile, whistles make dogs bark, and whistles upset some neighbors.

Post by Tyler DelGregg »

I find myself reaching for the Freeman Blackbird C. It's a gentle instrument and my pets don't seem to mind, whereas, they act troubled at times when I play the D. Generation Bb, straight out of the box is my next choice for playing alone.
An Draighean

Post by An Draighean »

I almost always play a Bb or a C by myself, unless I'm trying to learn a new tune by ear in the keys of D or G.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

I enjoy playing an A sometimes and a generation Bb. The lower tones are pleasant sometimes. The generation has a similar air requirements to the ds and cs I've played. I had a Dixon polymer Bb and wasn't in love and found myself spontaneously giving it away one day. It did make that person very happy. The sound is nice for slow airs, but it took a lot of air for a Bb whistle. This has to do with the size of the bore. It has a nice airy tone to it, but you need to be ready to supply the air. :) For faster tunes I liked the generation Bb more since it seemed to have similar air requirements to the ds. I have a MK low F on order and am looking forward to the sound of that. Again, with the larger bore of a low whistle I expect to provide a lot of air.
McAfee
Tell us something.: Been playing for several years, but got out of the routine for a bit. When I came back to the site, I couldn't remember my password, and my email had changed.

Post by McAfee »

I've also enjoyed playing an "A", of course the concept of playing by yourself opens you up to any key.....it's when your playing with others that restrictions are applied.