Modifying tunes.....

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ImNotIrish
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Modifying tunes.....

Post by ImNotIrish »

Came across this while listening to some old recordings of myself. An adaptation of a popular reel. I don't really know how to describe it, other than a slow variant of the tune, 'Jenny Picking Cockles.'

https://soundcloud.com/arbo-2/jenny-pic ... les-as-air
ImNotIrish

Re: Modifying tunes.....

Post by ImNotIrish »

No comments? Hmmmm? Does that mean it's crap?
Chifmunk
Tell us something.: Hi, I play 5-string banjo, mountain dulcimer, bones, and am now a beginner pennywhistler. I have some Dixon, Freeman, and Susato whistles. This is obviously the most extensive forum for information in whistle learning- thanks!
I also run a banjo/mando/fiddle shirt site at https://harmonias.com/
and a mountain dulcimer social site at: fotmd.com

Post by Chifmunk »

I'm not familiar with the original tune but I just love what you are playing. The timing is delightful too. I'm guessing you are playing an A whistle, in the key of B (minor)? No matter, whatever your'e doing sounds terrific. Just the right mix of sweet and melancholy.
Having FUN playin' my whistles!
http://pennywhistleclub.com/
...a new social network just for whistlers
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

I'm not familiar with the original tune either. The Sound page indicates a Sindt B whistle is that correct?

This is definitely not crap. I've always enjoyed your postings with all the peculiarities to the music whether on whistles or pipes.

This tune has a lovely feel to it... slow and graceful with an oddity or two thrown in. Just as a suggestion, being that there hasn't been many responses here you may try posting the Sound page on some of the other internet whistle websites for more response. Just a thought.
An Draighean
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by An Draighean »

Sounds nice Arbo. Some reels sound good played slow; this is one, Star of Munster is another.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

Thanks. I appreciate the feedback. Not really a slow version of the original res. Don't know what I was thinking when I came up with this. Anyway, thanks again for the thoughts, encouragement.

Arbo