Teflon Coating for wooden windway?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
AngelicBeaver
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistles since 2010. I love how varied whistles are in their design, construction, tone, and handling. Though I've largely settled on what I enjoy playing, I'm still a sucker for an interesting new design.

Teflon Coating for wooden windway?

Post by AngelicBeaver »

I've got a wooden fipple block that's catching a lot of moisture, and I'd like to get that moisture to slide right off. What's the best way to do that? I was wondering if there's a teflon coating for wood that would work.
Nathaniel James Dowell
jadphoto
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: Teflon Coating for wooden windway?

Post by jadphoto »

For my recorders I use Dupenol.

I buy mine from Lazar's Early Music in California.

One application last quite a while.

My wooden whistles (Milligans) all have Delrin heads, but it seems to work there as well.

JD
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

No Teflon! It will cause breath moisture to condense in little droplets that will increase clogging. A detergent of some sort will let the moisture "sheet" away. Duponol is one such commercial product and it works well, but you can make your own for practically nothing. A drop or two of Dawn dish washing liquid or similar in a couple of ounces of water works perfectly. Put it in a little dropper bottle like the ones that eye drops come in and you can take it with you and use it whenever needed. This works on any and all windway materials.
I've heard that you can use a bit of the liquid that's used in automatic dish washers in the same way, but I haven't tried it.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Tor

Post by Tor »

Careful with anything used by automatic dishwashers, some of that stuff is pretty nasty. High pH, for example.

As for Teflon, yep, it does the opposite of what you want - it's hydrophobic. Moisture tries to get away from it, so you'll get droplets. Soap works the other way around. Just be careful with the dishwasher stuff, it's safer to use dish washing liquid designed for hand washing.
ecadre
Tell us something.: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post by ecadre »

Detergents are both hydrophyllic and hydrophobic; yes, that's possible, it's different parts of the molecule. This is how detergents will disperse oil in water with the hydrophobic parts on the oil droplets and the hydrophillic parts pointing to the water.

Detergents will disrupt and weaken surface tension in water by interfering with the attraction between water molecules. If you break the surface tension, then water will much more easily be blown out of the airway rather than clogging it as water droplets.
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

Tor wrote:Careful with anything used by automatic dishwashers, some of that stuff is pretty nasty. High pH, for example.
Agreed, but I'm talking about a VERY dilute solution.
Got wood?
AngelicBeaver
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistles since 2010. I love how varied whistles are in their design, construction, tone, and handling. Though I've largely settled on what I enjoy playing, I'm still a sucker for an interesting new design.

Post by AngelicBeaver »

I tried some Dawn, in a little bit of water. Works very well. Thanks.

For the record, Duponol is Sodium Lauryl Sulfate. I couldn't find Duponol, but they do sell Sodium Lauryl Sulfate online. It's kind of pricey though. The dish soap seems to be doing the trick, so I'm not going to worry about it.
Nathaniel James Dowell
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

AngelicBeaver wrote:I tried some Dawn, in a little bit of water. Works very well. Thanks.

For the record, Duponol is Sodium Lauryl Sulfate. I couldn't find Duponol, but they do sell Sodium Lauryl Sulfate online. It's kind of pricey though. The dish soap seems to be doing the trick, so I'm not going to worry about it.
That and Sodium Laureth Sulfate are the main surfactants in Dawn, and a great many other liquid soaps, detergents and shampoos. No need to buy the online stuff.
Got wood?
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Mostly I like the way the bubbles come out the end of the whistle...

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.