Chris McMullan solo album

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
36pipers
antispam: No

Chris McMullan solo album

Post by 36pipers »

Hi,

Thought I'd post on the forum. My new album is available for anyone who might be interested.

Here's a track on low whistle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0jkgwxNSOg

It's available from Bandcamp here: https://chrismcmullan.bandcamp.com/releases

And it can also be downloaded on digital format from amazon and google play music.
AngelicBeaver
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistles since 2010. I love how varied whistles are in their design, construction, tone, and handling. Though I've largely settled on what I enjoy playing, I'm still a sucker for an interesting new design.

Re: Chris McMullan solo album

Post by AngelicBeaver »

I love the four low whistle tracks, and the guitar backing is excellent. I'm not as fond of the uilleann pipes, particularly when the drones are used (personal preference), and there's only one tune set where the drones aren't used and the guitar is used instead (Monaghan Jig set). I wish that uilleann pipers would put a low whistle in their hands more often and use the pipes as album seasoning rather than as the main course, but again, that's just my taste. I love Michael McGoldrick on flute and whistle, but not as much on the pipes.

I went ahead and bought your album because I've really enjoyed seeing a lot of your videos on YouTube (the low whistle ones), particularly your rendition of Inion Ni Scannlain (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y4Z1T52IV0) and the Legacy Jig (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTzGH6ltuII). You should make a mostly whistle album just for me :). I would buy an entire copy.
Nathaniel James Dowell
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

AngelicBeaver wrote:I'm not as fond of the uilleann pipes...
Have you tried flat pipes? They're like purring cats. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSI9Gyo ... BFZW077iBJ

Anyway, regardless of pitch or instrument, it's lovely playing, 36pipers!
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Without having heard the album myself (though now taking a listen through the Bandcamp player)...
AngelicBeaver wrote:I'm not as fond of the uilleann pipes, particularly when the drones are used (personal preference), and there's only one tune set where the drones aren't used
The clue is surely in the name 'Uilleann Tales'? And pipes have drones (also regs when they're uilleann pipes).
I wish that uilleann pipers would put a low whistle in their hands more often and use the pipes as album seasoning rather than as the main course
Then it would be 'Low Whistle Tales'!

:boggle:
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
AngelicBeaver
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistles since 2010. I love how varied whistles are in their design, construction, tone, and handling. Though I've largely settled on what I enjoy playing, I'm still a sucker for an interesting new design.

Post by AngelicBeaver »

Peter Duggan wrote:Without having heard the album myself (though now taking a listen through the Bandcamp player)...
AngelicBeaver wrote:I'm not as fond of the uilleann pipes, particularly when the drones are used (personal preference), and there's only one tune set where the drones aren't used
The clue is surely in the name 'Uilleann Tales'? And pipes have drones (also regs when they're uilleann pipes).
I wish that uilleann pipers would put a low whistle in their hands more often and use the pipes as album seasoning rather than as the main course
Then it would be 'Low Whistle Tales'!

:boggle:
He did post it in the whistle forum, so I gave my own whistler's perspective. I did check, and was glad to see, that he got a warmer reception in the Uilleann Piping forum. I recognized him as the guy from YouTube and was sad that he hadn't gotten any responses on his post, so I bought and listened to his album. I did qualify my statements with a "personal preference" disclaimer. He's a really good player, and I did enjoy the album, I just wish there was more whistling and less "regulator".

"Low Whistle Tales" would be an excellent followup album :).
Nathaniel James Dowell
AngelicBeaver

Post by AngelicBeaver »

tin tin wrote:
AngelicBeaver wrote:I'm not as fond of the uilleann pipes...
Have you tried flat pipes? They're like purring cats. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSI9Gyo ... BFZW077iBJ

Anyway, regardless of pitch or instrument, it's lovely playing, 36pipers!
I have that album! I didn't realize they were flat pipes. Now that I listen, they do have a different sound. Doing a quick search, it sounds like "flat pipes" are basically the low whistle of the uilleann pipes, being lower and more mellow. Very interesting.
Nathaniel James Dowell
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

AngelicBeaver wrote:I have that album! I didn't realize they were flat pipes. Now that I listen, they do have a different sound. Doing a quick search, it sounds like "flat pipes" are basically the low whistle of the uilleann pipes, being lower and more mellow. Very interesting.
That's one way to look at it. But flat pipes actually pre-date concert (D) pipes. As I understand it, at some point in the 19th (I think?) century, the normal (pitched anywhere from around Bb to around C) pipes were rescaled to play at the higher pitch of the key of D. Of course, a redesign like that affects the inherent character and sound of the instrument.