Is your Susato mature now?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
puipui
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am playing whistles since 3 years ago but still at a beginner level. I especially like the tone produced by whistles of key of Bb.

Post by puipui »

I found an interesting article posted 11 years ago.
viewtopic.php?p=494701#p494701
gonzo914 wrote:The only problem I've seen with Susatos is that they do not come properly aged. I bought one four years ago when I first started playing the whistle. It was my first whistle that wasn't bought in a toy store. But when I played it, the upper octave as loud and piercing and unplayable, and when I played "Danny Boy," it frightened the children, so I stuffed it in a drawer and got a Dixon.

I got that Susato out about two years later and found it had improved considerably, but still didn't sound as good as my Dixon. So I put it away again.

And now, just a recently, I got it out again, and I'm happy to say it's finally ready to be played. And I'm playing it more and more. I like it a lot. I'd get another one, but I don't want to wait another 4 years to age it, so I'll have to look for a use, or rather, pre-aged one.

It would be nice if Susato aged them for us. You know, put them on a pallet and store them in a cave for four years and then sell them. They could even stamp the vintage on the barrel, so then we could say "I've got an '06 Susato. I wish I could find another one from that year." Or "Is that an '04? That was a great year." Or "I hear this is going to be an excellent year for Susatos, so I'm going to buy a dozen and lay them down for another four years. They should be really good in 2010."
I wonder that what he was writing may be true, as a Susato head is assembled from several small parts glued and glue is known to shrink in the course of its hardening over months or years.

And we know that even a slight change in dimensions of the whistle head may cause significant effects on its sound property.

So, I would like to ask the people who were complaining about Susato whistles at that time (11 years ago).

ecadre
Tell us something.: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Is your Susato mature now?

Post by ecadre »

The part I think you need pay attention to is:

"I bought one four years ago when I first started playing the whistle"

The rest is simply a joke.
Angel Shadowsong
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Angel Shadowsong »

Hahaha.... im a confessed Susato Lover.

Being a plastic whistle, I don't think it will mature like a wood does.

What matures/improve is your breathing control.

When I tried my Susato Low D for the first time.... it felt like my lungs are gonna come out. Developed a cough reflex for a week, but with frequent tooting... the reflex vanished.

I love the pure round clean sound that it possessess... Such great power requires great responsibility (control). :shock:

Ignore my statements if you started from a wind instrument that has a crazy air requirement.
Quote by Zig Ziglar: “Success occurs when opportunity meets preparation”
chas

Post by chas »

You had to know Gonzo to really appreciate that post.

I hope he's happy and healthy, wish he'd pay us a visit sometime.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

puipui wrote:Is your Susato mature now?
I think that's a rather personal question.
chas wrote:You had to know Gonzo to really appreciate that post.

I hope he's happy and healthy, wish he'd pay us a visit sometime.
Yep.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I have a very mature Susato, one of the original type, machined out of PVC stock, with a wooden plug.

EDIT:

I added a couple pics for people who don't know what I'm talking about.

Susato used two colours of PVC, off-white and brown. My mezzo A had a brown body and white top, my high D was all white, and my mezzo G (seen here) is all brown, the only one I have left.

I don't know if these were better necessarily, though to me they have a more normal/traditional tone than the new injection moulded Susatos. The mezzo A was a great player, superb in every way. It seemed to me to have the ideal bore ID to length ratio. The high D and this mezzo G have bores a bit too wide for my liking. They're very loud, with the pure clean Susato tone.

These were not available in tunable models, but all had a one-piece non-tunable body. They tended to play sharp, around 442-445, at least here in California.

A friend still has his Low D made at the same time, which was made in 3 sections (as I recall) and is tunable.
Last edited by pancelticpiper on Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:23 am, edited 3 times in total.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
ScottMaurer

Post by ScottMaurer »

pancelticpiper wrote:I have a very mature Susato, one of the original type, machined out of PVC stock, with a wooden plug.
I have heard those were a fair bit better than the injection molded ones that came later (maybe from you come to think of it.....) I've not had a chance to try though.
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

Nanohedron wrote:
puipui wrote:Is your Susato mature now?
I think that's a rather personal question.
A gentleman never tells.
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

Whistle players mature, whistles not so much.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
sgerards
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by sgerards »

In the case of whistlers 'mature' is a polite euphemism for age. Maybe ripen would be a better choice.
Chifmunk
Tell us something.: Hi, I play 5-string banjo, mountain dulcimer, bones, and am now a beginner pennywhistler. I have some Dixon, Freeman, and Susato whistles. This is obviously the most extensive forum for information in whistle learning- thanks!
I also run a banjo/mando/fiddle shirt site at https://harmonias.com/
and a mountain dulcimer social site at: fotmd.com

Post by Chifmunk »

Well I just ordered an immature Susato Kildare in C...
so we'll see what happens when it meets its mature new owner. :lol:
Having FUN playin' my whistles!
http://pennywhistleclub.com/
...a new social network just for whistlers
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

pancelticpiper wrote:I have a very mature Susato, one of the original type, machined out of PVC stock, with a wooden plug.

EDIT:

I added a couple pics for people who don't know what I'm talking about.

Susato used two colours of PVC, off-white and brown. My mezzo A had a brown body and white top, my high D was all white, and my mezzo G (seen here) is all brown, the only one I have left.
I'm just curious how the wooden plug held up? How old? Was there any deterioration in wood? That is provided the whistle was played often rather than just sitting unused in a box. Any shrinkage or splitting of wood? Thanks.
Chifmunk
Tell us something.: Hi, I play 5-string banjo, mountain dulcimer, bones, and am now a beginner pennywhistler. I have some Dixon, Freeman, and Susato whistles. This is obviously the most extensive forum for information in whistle learning- thanks!
I also run a banjo/mando/fiddle shirt site at https://harmonias.com/
and a mountain dulcimer social site at: fotmd.com

Post by Chifmunk »

Chifmunk wrote:Well I just ordered an immature Susato Kildare in C...
so we'll see what happens when it meets its mature new owner. :lol:
So an update on this- got my Kildare in C, and yes it's nicely in tune through both octaves, has nice clear tone and strong volume (especially for a C whistle). I like that i don't need to push a whole lot of air (which i have trouble with on some other whistles).
I don't really care for the chunky and short mouthpiece/beak, but it's not presenting any daunting problems. To be honest, I think my Freeman Blackbird in C plays more 'sweetly' and nimbly, but this Susato C has lots of clear toned power and would be particularly good playing in a large jam situation. Overall I'm real pleased with my purchase! :D
Having FUN playin' my whistles!
http://pennywhistleclub.com/
...a new social network just for whistlers
maki

Post by maki »

I love my Susato V.
I play better than I use to, though not as well as I'd like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7T1c5D2EvQ
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

ytliek wrote: I'm just curious how the wooden plug held up? How old? Was there any deterioration in wood? That is provided the whistle was played often rather than just sitting unused in a box. Any shrinkage or splitting of wood? Thanks.
I bought that thing around 1980 IIRC.

I never played it much. Mostly sat in a drawer. So the wood (cedar?) is like new.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle