Most brilliant low whistle/flute albums in recent memory?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
AngelicBeaver
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistles since 2010. I love how varied whistles are in their design, construction, tone, and handling. Though I've largely settled on what I enjoy playing, I'm still a sucker for an interesting new design.

Most brilliant low whistle/flute albums in recent memory?

Post by AngelicBeaver »

Does anyone have any albums that they've heard within the last few years or so that they find to be truly amazing? I have a few that I love, but my selections are getting a bit old. My favorite albums are

Brian Finnegan's "The Lovely Genius of Bones"

Realta's "Open the Door for Three" (Brilliant mix of low whistles an Uillean Pipes, with a few songs thrown in).

Julie Fowlis and Muireann Nic Amhlaoibh did an album called "Dual" that is among my all-time favorites, even without much (or any) low whistling.

For me, a lot of trad music sort of blurs together in that it's nice, but forgettable. Every once in a while, an album comes around that fantastically sets itself apart and bears repeated listening for years. I'd like to add some new music to my collection, but it's hard to search by instrument, or even sift through the many albums that are in that "nicely played, but kind-of like all the other trad albums out there" category.
Nathaniel James Dowell
Mikethebook
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

Re: Most brilliant low whistle/flute albums in recent memory

Post by Mikethebook »

Well, for me, Davy Spillane's Between Longing And Belonging is unsurpassed but I also love Troublesome Things by Brendan Ring.
AngelicBeaver
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistles since 2010. I love how varied whistles are in their design, construction, tone, and handling. Though I've largely settled on what I enjoy playing, I'm still a sucker for an interesting new design.

Post by AngelicBeaver »

Mikethebook wrote:Well, for me, Davy Spillane's Between Longing And Belonging is unsurpassed but I also love Troublesome Things by Brendan Ring.

Davy Spillane needs to get his stuff on Amazon's digital downloads. I like having all my music in one place for convenience. It's really nice when artists put their stuff on Amazon digital music because so many albums get expensive when shipped overseas. I heard Damien Mullane when I was in Ireland a few years ago and enjoyed his playing (accordion), but his album is only available as a physical CD and ends up being nearly $30 shipped.

I do like Brendan Ring's album, for the most part. I dislike his use of the regulators, though. They overpower the rest of his playing on certain tracks and just hop between a couple of notes. There are a couple of tracks that I feel driven to skip each time. His whistle tracks are excellent.
Nathaniel James Dowell
AngelicBeaver

Small Towns and Famous Nights by the Alan Kelly Gang

Post by AngelicBeaver »

I would also add the album "Small Towns and Famous Nights" by the Alan Kelly Gang to my list of favorites. Accordion playing features prominently, but it's got some lovely whistle and flute. The instrument mix gets changed up constantly, so it doesn't end up being an Accordion album with a capital A. I've listened to it for years now and still enjoy it.
Nathaniel James Dowell
Mikethebook
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

Post by Mikethebook »

I would also add Drifting Through the Hazel Woods by Davy's Moving Hearts contemporary, Declan Masterson, a lovely low whistle CD with both traditional pieces and more mystical ones.
sfmans
Tell us something.: I've been a whistle player for over 40 years now, which is a sobering thought. I got started on a battered old Generation D and, well, just never stopped really!

Current gigs are The Powderkegs border morris, the concert band Trebuchet with our music theatre show The Mill Ballads www.themillballads.com, and Welsh dance band Caffl.

Post by sfmans »

Hunter's Moon by Calum Stewart and Heikki Bourgault is, for me, the standout flute album of the past few years. Great, strong, inventive, inspiring, and beautiful flute playing with really interesting accompaniment on (often multi-tracked) guitar. Some tracks are lead by uilleann pipes, and that's fine by me, but it's the flute tracks that really do it for me.

Standout tracks: Schottische Kerlou, The Hurricane, le Heure Avant Le Herbe, and, well, all of them really!
Ketil

Post by Ketil »

If you are ok with low whistle in combination with pipes John McSherrys "The seven suns" is absolutely superb!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=te1NVWrhp6I
Ketil

Post by Ketil »

And also "The Olllam" is great. Pipes and low whistle presented in a not so traditional way. But a really nice album!
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kenny »

There's a lot of low whistle recordings coming out of Scotland at the moment. Ross Ainslie and Ali Hutton have recently released a CD called "Symbiosis", which you might like. Hamish Napier also released a CD of his own compositions, called "The River".
Most brilliant flute albums from last year :
"Now" - Ciaran Somers and Nicolas Quemener
"White Island" - Laurence Nugent [ quite a lot of low whistle as well as flute ]
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
AngelicBeaver

Post by AngelicBeaver »

kenny wrote:There's a lot of low whistle recordings coming out of Scotland at the moment. Ross Ainslie and Ali Hutton have recently released a CD called "Symbiosis", which you might like. Hamish Napier also released a CD of his own compositions, called "The River".
Most brilliant flute albums from last year :
"Now" - Ciaran Somers and Nicolas Quemener
"White Island" - Laurence Nugent [ quite a lot of low whistle as well as flute ]
Thanks, Kenny. "Symbiosis" is certainly one of those "hidden" albums on Amazon. There's no way to find it unless you know it's there. There isn't even an indication of what kind of music it contains until you begin listen to the tracks. I wish Amazon would link to a music service that specializes in folk music, or smaller, self-produced albums. It's tiresome to be offered the same Celtic Women albums or random opera albums (or simply contemporary pop music) because Amazon has no idea what to do with musical interests that fall outside the mainstream.

I happened upon Realta because I was searching for the Exile's Jig, but a lot of groups rename their tune sets to something like "Sashay" or "Blue" so it won't always show up in searches.
Nathaniel James Dowell
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

AngelicBeaver wrote: Thanks, Kenny. "Symbiosis" is certainly one of those "hidden" albums on Amazon. There's no way to find it unless you know it's there. There isn't even an indication of what kind of music it contains until you begin listen to the tracks. I wish Amazon would link to a music service that specializes in folk music, or smaller, self-produced albums. It's tiresome to be offered the same Celtic Women albums or random opera albums (or simply contemporary pop music) because Amazon has no idea what to do with musical interests that fall outside the mainstream.

I happened upon Realta because I was searching for the Exile's Jig, but a lot of groups rename their tune sets to something like "Sashay" or "Blue" so it won't always show up in searches.
Two resources for finding where certain tunes are played, and alternate titles:
https://www.irishtune.info/tune/494/

https://thesession.org/tunes/1327

As to other music resources, you might find that CD Baby provides access to other musical interests. It's less expensive for musicians to list their CD or downloads with CD Baby, and they receive a greater portion of the sale price. Amazon changed their Marketplace structure, so it is a higher, yearly fee for selling product through them for the small producer. Items available through major distributors are more readily available, and usually then sold by Amazon directly.
Joe Gerardi

Post by Joe Gerardi »

Does it have to be low whistle? Because K.C. Jiang's "Chinese Music for Irish Whistle" is fantastic, if you enjoy Chinese music at all. I'm pretty sure it's a mix of low and high whistles, and they're simple, wonderful Chinese melodies- nothing complex as say, "The Butterfly Lover's Concerto."

I bought a copy for a friend who owns a Chinese buffet, and when she first played it, all her waitresses kept coming up asking what the music was, as they all recognized the traditional Chinese tunes, but the played on the whistle, it really caught their attention.

When they closed the restaurant, they gave me back the CD, so now I get to enjoy it.

..Joe
Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.
Geebawn
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Geebawn »

Abyss by Talisk. Although it's not a whistle/flute album it's IMO the best Irish music album since TRGOB by Finnegan:)
jadphoto
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by jadphoto »

Anyone know where to find Symbiosis (Ross Ainslie and Ali Hutton) in the US? I've tried iTunes, Amazon, even MusicScotland (and they usually have everything).

Thanks in advance... :thumbsup:

JD
AngelicBeaver

Post by AngelicBeaver »

jadphoto wrote:Anyone know where to find Symbiosis (Ross Ainslie and Ali Hutton) in the US? I've tried iTunes, Amazon, even MusicScotland (and they usually have everything).

Thanks in advance... :thumbsup:

JD
Sure. It's on Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/Symbiosis-Ross ... biosis+ali

See what I mean about it being a hidden album? The artists are "Ross & Ali", as if it needed to be any more obscure.
Nathaniel James Dowell