Killarney Whistle Clogging?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Peterbd
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I love flutes and whistles and Irish music. I play on a Casey Burns folk flute. As for whistles, I have succumbed to WOAD. Clarkes, Susatos, a Killarney, a Feadog, and a bevy of homemade "low-tech" whistles. A long time lurker, I have decided to join.

Killarney Whistle Clogging?

Post by Peterbd »

Hello all!

I just joined after lurking for a few years.

My new Killarney whistle in brass is lovely. I love its tone, and it is great to play--for about 10 minutes. Then the windway starts clogging quite a bit. I have not experienced this significantly with my Susato, Clarkes, or "low-tech" homemade whistles. Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone have advice on how to mitigate it? Thanks!
tstermitz

Re: Killarney Whistle Clogging?

Post by tstermitz »

Cool metal condenses fairly easily. I warm mine before playing, and even then it gathers condensation. Something you just need to learn to deal with.

Plastic whistles don't condense so quickly. Some curve wind ways seem to do better as well.
Peterbd
Tell us something.: I love flutes and whistles and Irish music. I play on a Casey Burns folk flute. As for whistles, I have succumbed to WOAD. Clarkes, Susatos, a Killarney, a Feadog, and a bevy of homemade "low-tech" whistles. A long time lurker, I have decided to join.

Post by Peterbd »

Thanks for the reply! It's good to hear that it's fairly standard. All my whistles before this have had plastic mouthpieces instead of partially metal. I guess I'll just get good at clearing it out!
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

I have some nickel Killarney whistles and one brass one. The brass one is by a long way the best whistle I have ever played, at least for me. I don't have a problem with clogging at all, so it's difficult to advise. I would think that tstermitz's advice to warm the whistle before playing is going to be helpful at the very least. I'm surprised it doesn't completely cure the issue for tstermitz, but try it and it may work for you.

I wonder if you are used to whistles that take a lot more air than the Killarney? Susatos and Clarkes do and, in my experience, so do any of the home made whistles I've played. If this is the case, then maybe it's a question of getting used to blowing a lot more gently than you're used to.
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

Dip it in some soapy water, wipe off the outside, then let the soap dry on inside of the head. You may need to do this every couple of months, but it'll keep the clogging at bay. (And also warm up the head before playing.)
Peterbd

Post by Peterbd »

I have been warming up the head before playing, and it definitely helps for a time

And yes, I am used to whistles that take a lot more air. I also started out on flute so I am used to a lot more air in general... I'm slowly getting used to it. Good to know that it may get better as I do! Also I have been loving the sound of it--I can see why it's your favorite.

And thanks for the advice about soapy water. I'll go try it right now.

Thanks all!
puipui
Tell us something.: I am playing whistles since 3 years ago but still at a beginner level. I especially like the tone produced by whistles of key of Bb.

Post by puipui »

benhall.1 wrote:I wonder if you are used to whistles that take a lot more air than the Killarney? ------ If this is the case, then maybe it's a question of getting used to blowing a lot more gently than you're used to.
This may be opposite. I wonder that OP may be blowing too gently.

I have a brass body Killarney D and have no clogging problem.
However, I notice that area around window becomes wet during playing and sometimes water is coming out at the head-body joint part.

It seems that during playing condensation is pushed out from a windway to lateral edges of window or down to a cavity underneath wind-blade if you are blowing robustly.