Wood Whistle Care

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
DianIsis
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Wood Whistle Care

Post by DianIsis »

Hello, all. I have recently purchased a D whistle made of apricot would from Moldova. It is finished in a tree resin , and the inside is unfinished . My inclination is that the whistle, including the inside, should be oiled periodically. However, the seller says he never does this . He advises just letting it air dry and keeping it away from heat.

I currently get great extended play with no moisture buildup from this flute . I'm concerned that if I start oiling it, that may change . I'm concerned if I don't start oiling it, it may crack . Thoughts?
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Re: Wood Whistle Care

Post by tin tin »

Depends a bit on where you live. I think Moldova is somewhat humid (?). Swabbing out the whistle after play would be good basic maintenance. (A small cloth on a chopstick works--as long as you can pull the cloth back out! Silk is nice because it's thinner than cotton.) I wonder if you're not seeing any moisture because the wood is absorbing it. In that case oiling the bore (maybe a few times to start and yearly after that) wouldn't be a bad idea.
nicx66
Tell us something.: Hi, I have been playing whistle for 3 years. I made my first whistle 2 years ago and my first tin whistle last year in a tinsmithing class.

Post by nicx66 »

I would follow the makers instructions unless there is something obvious that needs attention. Usually, wood that is air dried will retain a higher water content than wood that is kiln dried. Maybe ask the maker what type he uses? Most commercially available wood is kiln dried, however makers can have rigid standards and I am sure that some out there harvest their own and specifically choose one or the other dependent on their needs/preference.
DianIsis

Post by DianIsis »

Thanks for the replies.
Derek Blackwell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Derek Blackwell »

Is this a whistle with six holes? I have a Ukrainian sopilka made of apricot wood. It has ten holes including two thumb holes. Otherwise it sounds very similar to yours. I've been wondering same as you.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

If your whistle has a tuning slide, be sure to wipe ALL oil off the male and female sides of the slide. Depending on the oil, it can harden and basically glue the two halves of the whistle together.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
DianIsis

Post by DianIsis »

Derek Blackwell wrote:Is this a whistle with six holes? I have a Ukrainian sopilka made of apricot wood. It has ten holes including two thumb holes. Otherwise it sounds very similar to yours. I've been wondering same as you.
Yes, this is. What maintenance do you do for yours?
Derek Blackwell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Derek Blackwell »

Nothing so far. I bought it on ebay. The seller is not the maker and I haven't been able to find contact info.