Introduction from new member

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
tenoreleven
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This forum was recommended by a folk musician friend when I expressed interest to him in learning to play the whistle.
I'm already a competent recorder player. I also sing, and play harpsichord, organ, and piano.

Introduction from new member

Post by tenoreleven »

Hello all, my name is Philip Kealy Wilson. I'm primarily a keyboardist and singer (also a recovering choir director) but I have always loved traditional Irish, English, and Scottish folk music. I've played recorder competently since I was a teenager and I recently thought it would be fun to learn the whistle, so here I am on a friend's recommendation. I have MUCH to learn and this looks like a friendly venue in which to do so.

I was, years ago, a harpsichord maker, and my one claim to fame with respect to Irish music is that one of my instruments was purchased by Diane (Guggenheim) Hamilton around 1980, and it (a virginal, or rectangular harpsichord) and another of my instruments were used extensively in her album, Green Autumn.

Diane was living in Ojai, California at the time; I was then and still reside in Santa Barbara. She was creating keyboard arrangements for tunes she had collected. She felt it was a logical extension of brass-strung harps to play Irish music on brass-strung harpsichords. At least that's my memory. Her friends in the Bothy Band were already recording on that electric/acoustic keyboard they used (somebody remind me what it was called).

Well, I'm blathering. I look forward to learning from this board!

PKW
https://www.facebook.com/PKWHarpsichords/
Philip Kealy Wilson
Santa Barbara, CA
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Re: Introduction from new member

Post by Byll »

Welcome, Philip. There is a lot of knowledge - and opinions (truly not the same thing) here - and all will be cheerfully shared. I wish you the best, Sir.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
aphillips
Tell us something.: I've gone down many rabbit holes starting with whistles and continuing with many different kinds of bagpipes. I founded and run the 30 musician ensemble Folk Orchestra Santa Barbara.

Post by aphillips »

Welcome Philip! Fancy seeing you here....
nicx66
Tell us something.: Hi, I have been playing whistle for 3 years. I made my first whistle 2 years ago and my first tin whistle last year in a tinsmithing class.

Post by nicx66 »

Welcome! I do not want to hijack your thread, but do you still make harpsichords?
tenoreleven
Tell us something.: This forum was recommended by a folk musician friend when I expressed interest to him in learning to play the whistle.
I'm already a competent recorder player. I also sing, and play harpsichord, organ, and piano.

Post by tenoreleven »

nicx66 wrote:Welcome! I do not want to hijack your thread, but do you still make harpsichords?
Not currently. I hope to do more when i retire in a few years.
Philip Kealy Wilson
Santa Barbara, CA
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

Greetings, and welcome to the whistle forum. Enjoy your whistling.
markbell

Post by markbell »

Welcome, Philip!
sibilo ergo sum
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Greetings Philip.
In the dark ages I was a 'stagehand' for Sylvia Marlowe when she came through my small college. A wealthy donor had endowed a brand new harpsichord to the music department and prevailed on her to come to campus and give it its maiden showing. I believe the 'leathers' were still sticking and the action needed adjusting. I was in attendance that afternoon for her rehearsal. . .and she was not pleased.
I had no idea such a refined looking woman had the vocabullary of a bosun's mate! :D
Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi