Tin Whistles (pre 1870)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
nicx66
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi, I have been playing whistle for 3 years. I made my first whistle 2 years ago and my first tin whistle last year in a tinsmithing class.

Tin Whistles (pre 1870)

Post by nicx66 »

The Clarke tin whistle company was established in 1843. From then until (roughly) 1870, the tin-plate that they used was sheet iron that was, presumably, hot-dipped, into a vat of molten tin, then rolled thru a roller to squeeze off excess tin and create a uniform thickness/coating. Does anyone have one of these whistles from the original 30 year run of production, 1843 - 1870 ? If so, could you post pictures of the whistle along with any details that you feel are pertinent to my inquiries or any details that you think may be of interest to this forum/query? After 1870, they likely switched to sheet steel, hence the questions.
whistlecollector
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Tin Whistles (pre 1870)

Post by whistlecollector »

nicx66 wrote:The Clarke tin whistle company was established in 1843. From then until (roughly) 1870, the tin-plate that they used was sheet iron that was, presumably, hot-dipped, into a vat of molten tin, then rolled thru a roller to squeeze off excess tin and create a uniform thickness/coating. Does anyone have one of these whistles from the original 30 year run of production, 1843 - 1870 ? If so, could you post pictures of the whistle along with any details that you feel are pertinent to my inquiries or any details that you think may be of interest to this forum/query? After 1870, they likely switched to sheet steel, hence the questions.

The only whistle I have that's about that old you can see here.

Fourth picture down. It may or may not be a Clarke, but is certainly brass. The other old whistles and especially the rolled / pressed steel ones are all undoubtedly post-1870s. I've read that Clarke made some whistles in brass early on, so who knows!

Take a look there and here as well.
-- A tin whistle a day keeps the racketts at bay.

-- WhOAD Survivor No. 11373