Some fine tuning

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
de Salier
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I do indeed love whistles, mostly the ones with six holes. And this forum is all about them, small ones, big ones, normal ones, strange ones...

Some fine tuning

Post by de Salier »

Hi All,

I recently found a Old style Generation D whistle, and the sound is wonderfull.
But, maybe not surprisingly, the tuning is a bit off.

I loosened the head to adjust it, but it is not really in tune with itself.

I played a couple of tunes, fast and slow, and monitored the results with RTTATuner
The way I put the head now the results are like this:
D +01
E +00
F# -20
G -01
A -20
B -06
c +-6 (OXXXOO
c# -23

d -02
e +06
f# -25
g -11
a -30
b -30

The upper and lower register look fairly consistend, with the A and F# being flat. The a and b in the upper register sound fairly reasonable. It is mainly the A and F# I might want to adjust.

Is it correct when I assume that have to adjust the first open hole? and to make them sharper, I have to adjust them by carving on the side of the head?
And what are the +/- tolerances one would normally accept on a whistle?

The c# looks a bit more problematic, as all holes (more or less OOOOOX) are open.

Any suggestions?
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Some fine tuning

Post by brewerpaul »

Is it just off according to the tuner or is it audibly and objectionably off to your ear? Can you adjust the pitch of the off notes by blowing harder or softer as the case may be? You might be better off learning to live with the off tuning rather than risk ruining the whistle.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!