WTB: Low C whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Ketil
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

WTB: Low C whistle

Post by Ketil »

pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Re: WTB: Low C whistle

Post by pancelticpiper »

I don't have one for sale, but I'll say that I did own a Susato Low C which in my opinion was the best Sustato whistle I've played. Susatos get better as they get lower, in my opinion. It had an angled neck, was very comfortable to play, in tune, and had a nice tone. The low notes were solid and full, the high notes relatively sweet.

I currently have an Alba Low C on order. I'll post a review and YouTube video when it arrives. I'm very impressed with the Alba Bass A I have, and hopefully the Low C will be just as good.

I mention these two because of their reasonable price, perhaps around the same as you might get a used whistle from another maker for.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Re: WTB: Low C whistle

Post by pancelticpiper »

The Alba Low C arrived. It's wonderful.

I'm quite amazed how easy it is to play.

One thing, a pet peeve of mine, is the hole-spread on the upper hand.

The finger-spread on this Alba Bass C is the same as my Burke Mezzo G. My Burke Mezzo F has a much greater finger-spread than this Alba Bass C.

The tuning is perfect. The tone is very nice, with just enough "dirt" and complexity.

The low notes including the bellnote are full and solid.

I don't know how Alba is able to make whistles for prices that low- less than half of many other makers.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle