low D: Kelpie or Optima?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
tin tin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

low D: Kelpie or Optima?

Post by tin tin »

OK, after all these years of (high) whistling and fluting, I'm planning on getting my first low D. Budget-wise, the MK Kelpie and the tuneable Kerry Optima are in range.

I'll be playing the whistle (acoustically) at a small session and (amplified) in a band.

So my question: Does the tuning slide give the Optima an edge, or can I be confident that the Kelpie will be OK in ensemble situations without a slide?

And any other input to push my to one side of the fence or the other would be great. Thanks!
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: low D: Kelpie or Optima?

Post by kkrell »

I've had a Kelpie and now have a Pro because of the slide. I suppose you're fine with the Kelpie if you are playing with other instruments that can tune to you (not the squeezies).
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Those two makes of whistles play rather differently. The presence or absence of a tuning slide is a feature for sure, but in my mind far outweighed by the differences in the way those two whistles play.

See here for a full discussion

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=95717&start=45

My impression is based on an uneven sample size: a half-dozen MKs and only one Optima.

But I much prefer the MK due to it being louder, richer in timbre, easier to play in tune, and more air-efficient.

The Optima I tried had the sharpest 2nd octave I've encountered on a Low D. I had to over-blow the low octave to the point of the notes breaking and under-blow the 2nd octave to the point of the notes falling to keep the octaves in tune. I have no way of knowing if that issue is a quirk of that one Optima or characteristic.

The MK has a sharper 2nd octave than is usual, but not so sharp that makes it difficult to play in tune.

If you're on a budget you can pick up whistles used. The great thing about that is you can try them for as short or long a time as you please, then if you don't like them you can resell them for the same amount you paid for them.

It's not "flipping" whistles for profit, but rather the opportunity to try as many whistles as you like, for free.

How about a Chieftain for $100?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KWL-Chieftain-L ... Swo4pYkMJ3
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

kkrell wrote:I've had a Kelpie and now have a Pro because of the slide. I suppose you're fine with the Kelpie if you are playing with other instruments that can tune to you (not the squeezies).
Right, that's what I was afraid of.
pancelticpiper wrote:Those two makes of whistles play rather differently. The presence or absence of a tuning slide is a feature for sure, but in my mind far outweighed by the differences in the way those two whistles play.
Helpful info, thanks. I'll probably save my pennies and go for the MK Pro.
jbowen507

Post by jbowen507 »

I agree with Richard in terms of buying used = renting a whistle for free. I made my first foray into the low whistle world with a used Howard Low D. Realizing that whistle wasn't for me, I sold it for the same amount I paid for it. Months later I decided to try again with a Kelpie, and I bought used in case the results were the same. However, this one is definitely a keeper -- though I've never tried a Kerry. I'm also not playing with other people because I'm using it to learn. I figure if I ever get decent enough to play it around others, I could upgrade to the MK Pro and then sell the Kelpie for what I paid for it.

Jeff