Thumbs on low whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Brus
antispam: No

Thumbs on low whistle

Post by Brus »

In Hannigan and Ledsam's Low Whistle Book (and other places, I think) they recommend putting the thumbs behind the second finger of each hand.

I find this uncomfortable and put my thumbs behind the top finger of each hand, or maybe a bit below.

Is there a good reason for this recommendation? Something to do with pipers' grip? Should I try to become comfortable with it?
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur. (Anything is more impressive if you say it in Latin)
Tyler DelGregg
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistles are fun, whistles are charming, whistles sound nice, whistles are affordable, whistles make us smile, whistles make dogs bark, and whistles upset some neighbors.

Re: Thumbs on low whistle

Post by Tyler DelGregg »

Since my thumbs are ridiculously long, my left thumb is actually above the first finger and my right thumb is just behind the first finger. I also broke my left thumb quite badly years ago, so I have to find a spot that generates the least stress and still allows me to control the whistle. I think is comes down to personal preference.
pancelticpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Re: Thumbs on low whistle

Post by pancelticpiper »

I don't think it matters much.

Theory, seems to me, would be behind having each thumb more or less centered behind each hand (if the purpose is to act as a balance or support).

My first instrument was Highland pipes, then uilleann pipes, then flute, then whistle and I've always placed my lower-hand thumb between middle and ring fingers. (This has had an unintended advantage when I play a chanter or whistle with a hole on the back for F natural, the hole is right where my thumb is anyhow.)

On pipes my upper-hand thumb was placed above the hand altogether, above the index finger, because pipes have a thumb-hole placed higher than the top finger-hole . On flute (traditional wood flute with keys) the upper-hand thumb has to be lower, placed to actuate the Bb key. These habits get carried over when pipers and fluters play whistle, probably.

BTW you can often infer whether a whistle-players comes from flute (Boehm or Old System), pipes, or recorder by watching their thumb. Oftentimes recorder players move their thumb on and off the back of the whistle out of habit.

Some whistles have a C natural thumb-hole in analogy with Boehm flute so of course the thumb has to be placed between the index and middle finger to cover it.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle