Sessions in Portland (Oregon)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
WhistlingGypsy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by WhistlingGypsy »

I will be visiting Portland, Oregon in early September and was wondering if there was any good Irish Sessions in the city.

Can anyone help me here?

Cheers,

Gerry
Mike_M

Post by Mike_M »

Hi Gerry,

There are two session that I know about
Sunday's 7pm at Fado's
Wednesday's 9pm at Biddy McGraw's

Here is a link that might help

http://www.ceili.wizardisland.org/events.html

Have Fun,

Mike
WhistlingGypsy

Post by WhistlingGypsy »

Thanks Mike,

I'll definitely check them out as I am there from Sat. to Fri.

Cheers,

Gerry
Mal

Post by Mal »

Fado's address i 2307 N.W. Westover Rd... which is in the hills at the western edge of Portland, not too far from Burnside St. I had a hard time finding it on the map, and I would call them up (503 221 6621) to find out how to get there because I couldn't figure out the spaghetti maze of streets up there on the cheap city map I have!

There is another Portland area Irish music session held on the first Monday of the month at a bar on Evergreen Blvd in downtown Vancouver WA .... which is just across the Columbia River via a short toll free bridge from Portland. Sorry, I just learned of this on July 4th, and didn't have a pencil to write down the name of the place, but dowtown Vancouver is a rather small place and Evergreen is a main east-west street, so I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to locate. (The other three Mondays of the month are given over to Bluegrass sessions, I was told.)

As far as Biddy McGraws is concerned,,, it is on S.E. Glisan St. (east side of the Willamette River) at the corner of 60th.
The musicians don't start drifting in until after 9 p.m. on Wednesday nights. I checked it out a couple of weeks ago, and things started about 10 p.m. with a button accordian, guitar and bodhran. By 10:30 p.m.
they had been joined by a flute, another violin and a Irish bouzougi.

I heard that Fado is part of a chain of Irish pubs. They serve Irish food all day, and got a whole page write up in the weekly Arts and Entertainment supplement of the local Portland daily newspaper (The Oregonian) a couple of weeks ago, so I judge they are a fairly new operation.

Biddy McGraw doesn't serve food, by the way. The best known Irish Style pub in downtown Portland is Kells, which has live musical entertainment in the evening but no "sessions", unfortunately., a
WhistlingGypsy

Post by WhistlingGypsy »

Thanks everyone for the info - including the emails that I got.

Gerry