New to forums

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Cholbroo17
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: My name is Chris I have been playing whistles for about 13 years. For a long time I had stopped playing but now am getting back into it pretty heavily.
Thanks
Chris

New to forums

Post by Cholbroo17 »

Hello evervyone my name is Chris and I'm New to forums. So but I've been playing the whistle for about ten years and I own a couple whistles now I lost my old collection a while back I own a sindt, a Milligan and am waiting for my A Bell now anyway I have a question on how to take care of my Milligan whistle I've never owned a wooden whistle before. So any help would be great thanks.
manu.bande
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: New to forums

Post by manu.bande »

Cholbroo17 wrote:Hello evervyone my name is Chris and I'm New to forums. So but I've been playing the whistle for about ten years and I own a couple whistles now I lost my old collection a while back I own a sindt, a Milligan and am waiting for my A Bell now anyway I have a question on how to take care of my Milligan whistle I've never owned a wooden whistle before. So any help would be great thanks.
Hi Chris,

welcome to the C&F forum !

For taking care of a wooden whistle the best is always ask first to the whistle maker
that is making your whistle.

What I'm doing when receive a new wooden whistle is:
1) let the whistle acclimatize to his new environment (your home)
2) always warm up the whistle's body before playing it
3) playing in period: first week 10 minutes a day; second week 20 minutes a day,
then you can increase longer playing time(30 min., 1 hour, and so on) as your wish
4) after playing always swab the interior of the whistle with a cloth to get rid of
the moisture
5) oil the interior and exterior of the whistle with almond oil (or different oil, I use also
Tea Three Oil which is very good for getting rid of mold), I oil my dense wood whistles
once or twice a year, if the wood is more porous and not so dense and oily as african
blackwood, rosewood, mopane, etc., you can oil it more often !

I hope it will help !
Manuel
Cholbroo17
Tell us something.: My name is Chris I have been playing whistles for about 13 years. For a long time I had stopped playing but now am getting back into it pretty heavily.
Thanks
Chris

Post by Cholbroo17 »

Thanks a lot
Cholbroo17
Thanks
Chris

Post by Cholbroo17 »

Is there a particular brand of almond oil I should yet.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Welcome to the forum and the world of wooden whistles. Taking care of them is not difficult and needn't be intimidating.
Keep your whistles away from extreme heat and cold, and especially be aware of moving them from one extreme environment to another.
Leaving your whistle in a closed car on a hot summer day is just asking for trouble.
Swab out the whistle after playing it for more than a few minutes. At the very least, shake out excess condensed breath moisture. Don't store a damp whistle in a closed case.
You can oil the whistle once in a while with any number of types of oil. Lately I've been using Almond Oil with a couple of drops of Vitamin E oil added to keep the oil from going rancid. Glenn Schultz recommended that his whistles be oiled "when they look dry" through the finger holes. Most people seem to feel that they have to oil their wooden whistles heavily and often but this is actually bad for the wood, which can only absorb just so much oil. A very thin coat, with excess wiped off, is all you need and only a couple of times a year. I hate to tell you how little maintenance I give my own personal whistles, and apart from a Snakewood whistle, never had one crack.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
jadphoto
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by jadphoto »

You don't mention which wood your Milligan is made from (of?).

If it's Diamond Wood, it's resin impregnated (you should pardon the expression) and won't need to be oiled.

Double check with Gene, always a good idea as mentioned above, but I remember that's what he told me when I got the two Diamond Wood whistles, C and A, I bought from him. My Blackwood whistle on the other hand I do oil, but I use commercial woodwind bore oil rather than almond oil. I think it was Casey Burns who turned me on to that, but I wouldn't swear to it.

JD
Cholbroo17
Thanks
Chris

Post by Cholbroo17 »

My Milligan whistle is blackwood. But I don't know where to find almond oil or any of the oil that I need.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Cholbroo17 wrote: But I don't know where to find almond oil or any of the oil that I need.
Any well stocked pharmacy will supply almond oil. It's also available on-line in 50 or 100ml bottles. The usual advice is to add a bit of vitamine E to avoid it getting rancid but if you get a small bottle you'll probably be OK (I never used the vitamin).

For exterior use on a set of pipes I was recommended, by a maker, Renaissance wax some time ago. This was developed by the British museum for the conservation of wood and metal. it's a very fine microcrystalline wax polish/wax (also available online, take as small container, it goes a long way). This appears, so far, to hold up Very Well on both wood and metal and will work fine to keep the exterior of your whistle pristine.
My brain hurts

jadphoto
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by jadphoto »

Cholbroo17 wrote:My Milligan whistle is blackwood. But I don't know where to find almond oil or any of the oil that I need.
Any well-stocked music store will have woodwind bore oil.

JD
Chifmunk
Tell us something.: Hi, I play 5-string banjo, mountain dulcimer, bones, and am now a beginner pennywhistler. I have some Dixon, Freeman, and Susato whistles. This is obviously the most extensive forum for information in whistle learning- thanks!
I also run a banjo/mando/fiddle shirt site at https://harmonias.com/
and a mountain dulcimer social site at: fotmd.com

Post by Chifmunk »

Cholbroo, glad you joined up here! :thumbsup:
Having FUN playin' my whistles!
http://pennywhistleclub.com/
...a new social network just for whistlers