CP: Whorfin Woods January

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

CP: Whorfin Woods January

Post by chas »

I have some reprises and a couple of new C whistles for sale. Price for D whistles is $125 if not noted, including shipping to the ConUS. (Shipping elsewhere at cost. International orders must be through paypal.) There are a few that are discounted due to flaws and a few more expensive. All are pictured with the tuning slides adjusted to play A440 (for me; I’m a little flat, YMMV). All have moderate volume unless noted. Shown in ascending order left to right:

88 – tulipwood with brass. Very traditional sound, can’t ship outside the US due to new CITES restrictions on rosewoods. I made the mistake of finishing this with linseed oil, so the color is a little washed out. $100

96 – olivewood; this is the one that was on tour, extensively described by the reviewers in this thread.

97 – plum/fruit wood with brass. Nice traditional sound, a little breathy, slide needs to be pulled out kinda far (3/8”). $100

100 – plum/fruit wood with brass. Sweet in the upper octave, requires very little air (needs breath control), thus pretty quiet. [spoken for]

Four boxwood whistles, each with a nice clean sound, none too sweet. They have fantastic low notes.

101 -- $150
102 -- $150
103 -- $125, slide needs to be pulled out like #97
104 -- $150

105 – American Osage orange with brass. Clear, full sound.

106 – Argentine Osage orange with brass. Clear and full, a little sweeter than #105. Slide needs to be pulled out like #97; has a couple of apparent cracks (backside of the mouthpiece and near the bottom ring in the front), but at no point has either of these gone through the wood or leaked; I’m a bit baffled by them. $75

107 – Bloodwood with aluminum. Traditional sound, nice balance.

110 – Burmese blackwood with brass. Nice dirty traditional sound; more volume than most of my whistles, can’t ship outside the US due to new CITES restrictions on rosewoods. [spoken for]

Three C whistles. These are the first batch that are not prototypes. The sound is what I’d call woody; that is, not very bell-like, you might call them mellow. The sound is quite a bit bigger than the D’s, but in a group setting they might not cut through any better.

Bottom to top:

C4 – plum with brass, $150
C5 – African blackwood with brass [spoken for]
C6 – African blackwood with brass, $175, can’t ship outside the US due to new CITES restrictions on rosewoods.

email me at whorfinwoods at gmail dot com for info/orders.

Cheers, Charlie
Last edited by chas on Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Peter Duggan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Re: CP: Whorfin Woods January

Post by Peter Duggan »

Think 97 and 98 are captioned the wrong way round. There's also apparently one missing to the right of the four boxwood whistles where you've listed another five but shown four, and the captions for the lower pictures are currently bottom-to-top rather than vice versa?
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Oops! Thank you, Peter, I've corrected them.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
ScottMaurer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by ScottMaurer »

By way of a plug, I bought #110 and it is precisely as advertised and lovely. I've been playing with it a week and a half now and taken it to 2 sessions. The volume is assertive but not overwhelming for a medium sized session. The sound is a nice happy medium between a really dirty trad sound and some of the purer whistles on the market with this one landing closer to the trad sound than the pure sound as advertised. The tuning is fantastic in both octaves with C sounding well with oxxooo fingering (my preference). The only critique I would have is that the second octave G and above are a bit stiff but this is my experience with most session volume whistles and not as bad as others. Fantastic whistle especially for the money. Well made, plays well and sounds great. If you are considering buying one, do it.