It is currently Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 
 Post subject: Tapered bore
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:20 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:22 pm
Posts: 16
Location: Western NY
What are supposed to be the advantages of a whistle with a tapered bore over one with a straight bore?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tapered bore
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:30 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:31 am
Posts: 3669
Location: the Back of Beyond
Better tuning of the octaves and more equal spacing/sizing of the finger holes.

_________________
My brain hurts



Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tapered bore
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:47 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:27 pm
Posts: 470
Mr.Gumby wrote:
Better tuning of the octaves and more equal spacing/sizing of the finger holes.

... also, comparing my Generation C to my Moeck descant recorder (with it's tapered bore), the finger-holes can be closer together. Probably no big deal on a "normal" whistle, but might make a difference on a low D, for instance.

_________________
"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tapered bore
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:16 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:39 pm
Posts: 2105
Location: Kinlochleven
Kypfer wrote:
comparing my Generation C to my Moeck descant recorder (with it's tapered bore), the finger-holes can be closer together.

Probably not the best comparison because:
1. A descant recorder's equivalent to a D whistle in terms of 'six-finger' note.
2. Other factors of bore size (as well as shape) and wall thickness may also affect the spacing.

_________________
Yet still the blood is strong, the heart is Highland,
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.


Some old stuff, written and played by me


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tapered bore
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:03 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:21 pm
Posts: 10269
Location: UK, Herefordshire/Gloucestershire border
Even so, Peter, my understanding is that conical bore instruments in general do have holes which are closer together than equivalently pitched cylindrical bore instruments. Is this not correct?

_________________
"Only connect!"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tapered bore
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:56 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:39 pm
Posts: 2105
Location: Kinlochleven
Sure. It's just that the proof offered was based on an erroneous assumption.

Did you ever read Arthur Ransome's Swallows and Amazons books? If so, you might remember the 'proof' that copper was gold from Pigeon Post?

_________________
Yet still the blood is strong, the heart is Highland,
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.


Some old stuff, written and played by me


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tapered bore
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:56 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:21 pm
Posts: 10269
Location: UK, Herefordshire/Gloucestershire border
Peter Duggan wrote:
Sure. It's just that the proof offered was based on an erroneous assumption.

Fair enough.
Peter Duggan wrote:
Did you ever read Arthur Ransome's Swallows and Amazons books? If so, you might remember the 'proof' that copper was gold from Pigeon Post?

No, I'm afraid I haven't. It's funny, but somehow, whenever I've looked at what they're about, they just haven't appealed enough to make me read them.

_________________
"Only connect!"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tapered bore
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:27 pm
Posts: 470
Peter Duggan wrote:
Kypfer wrote:
comparing my Generation C to my Moeck descant recorder (with it's tapered bore), the finger-holes can be closer together.

Probably not the best comparison because:
1. A descant recorder's equivalent to a D whistle in terms of 'six-finger' note.
2. Other factors of bore size (as well as shape) and wall thickness may also affect the spacing.


Sorry about that ... you're right of course, poor choice of instruments. I should have written "comparing my Generation C to my Clarke C (with it's tapered bore) ..."

_________________
"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: D Mc, Google and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
[ Time : 0.083s | 12 Queries | GZIP : On ]
(dh)