Merry Christmas! Anybody Get a Whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Mladen
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Merry Christmas! Anybody Get a Whistle?

Post by Mladen »

mickey66 wrote:
Mladen wrote:Ummm, do flutes count? :D
Sure, why not!
I treated myself to a Christmas/birthday present, a 2-keyed delrin Baubet flute. In fact, this very one. Francois was so kind as to make a demo clip after he finished it.
Looking forward to receiving it! :)
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.
nicx66
Tell us something.: Hi, I have been playing whistle for 3 years. I made my first whistle 2 years ago and my first tin whistle last year in a tinsmithing class.

Post by nicx66 »

pancelticpiper wrote:You could perhaps get somebody to make a new head for it? It looks like a great instrument.

Or try a Sweetheart head on it, just to see. Ralph Sweet made large numbers of wooden high D whistles not unlike that.
I believe there is one for sale @ http://www.irishflutestore.com/sweethea ... d?___SID=U
However, the more cost effective fix is something along the lines of what brewerpaul suggested. It also gives you the satisfaction of bringing an instrument back to its former glory. Good luck
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

ytliek wrote:
Wanderer wrote:I've had a Carbony on my wishlist for years. My wife finally broke down and got it for me this xmas. Fun little whistle to play. Much easier blowing than I was anticipating.
Are you going to do a current review of the Carbony whistle?
I probably will once I've had it for a while and figured out all of its secrets :)
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
jbowen507

Post by jbowen507 »

Santa was good this year. I received a Killarney from my folks (really enjoying it!), and then I was the winning bidder on eBay for an MK Kelpie (should be arriving this week).
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Spielorjh wrote:
Third one down, you say - that's my favorite whistle and the one I take to sessions. Do you know offhand when that model was made?
I had one exactly like that, which I bought directly from Ralph around 1978-1980. Rosewood. It was a fine instrument, just too loud for me, with too stiff a 2nd octave.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
nicx66
Tell us something.: Hi, I have been playing whistle for 3 years. I made my first whistle 2 years ago and my first tin whistle last year in a tinsmithing class.

Post by nicx66 »

dunnp wrote:My wife bought me a nice looking German flageolet. I have heard these instruments described as csakan but I was under the impression a csakan is a little different:
http://www.csakan.de/en/

In any case it's essentially a keyed whistle.

Unfortunately the blade looks damaged but I plan on trying a laminate insert.
The bottom octave is nice an full but it won't play above second d.
I will give this a shot, though explaining 3-D concepts in writing is not my strong suit, however I have a good deal of experience using epoxy to repair damage to wood. Cut a piece of thin plastic the width of the sound hole and tape it snugly to the underside of the damaged blade so that it comes forward into the sound hole. Mix your epoxy with lightweight filler. You can use wood dust if you have a suitable color match. When it is the consistency of peanut butter, apply it to the damaged area, building up the damaged edge. Once the epoxy has cured, you can un-tape the plastic strip and gently pull it away from the underside of the blade. Since epoxy will not bond to plastic, the strip will release from the cured epoxy. You can then proceed to file down the repaired portion until you are satisfied with the results, testing the sound as you go. If you don't have experience with these types of repairs, I would suggest testing out the mixing and application on a scrap piece of wood to get a feel for it. The advantage of this type of repair is that you can maintain the original voicing, whereas adding thickness to the underside of the blade can change tone and volume. Best of luck.
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

Anybody interested in a trade for the instrument pictured above. It needs work on the blade as mentioned. I have a lot of projects underway and it's not a priority right now. I would suggest sending it to a recorder tech or whistle maker for a look.
The plus is that it plays in c (c is the bell note which is rather rare) at 440.

I'm interested in a good B whistle or maybe a Killarney D. Or piccolos and anything boxwood.
Also have other whistles and flutes around to sweeten deals or whatever.